FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Digital Storm, looks good. Now what

Post Date: 2009-12-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ruichi View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ruichi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Digital Storm, looks good. Now what
    Posted: 28 Dec 2009 at 8:26pm

I have been looking around to replace my old computer to high performance PC.   It looks like I'm at right place but since I only have been studied about PC for short period of time, I wish to get some advice from experts. 

First of all, here's quick detail of what I need. 
I use PC sometimes over 20 hrs.  It's becaue I use it for multi purpose.  I watch movies, downloaded shows, play games with having 4~5 browers to surf online and even when I sleep, I play some TV show or movie because that sometimes make me fall sleep faster.  So basically the PC will have heavy duty in some sense. I had two monitors(thus 2 graphic cards)to cover my entertainments. 

Therefore I care the stability and something it's reliable.  Here's my plan;

Processor:   i5 750 2.66 GHz-quad core
 Moter Board:EVGA P55 SLI (its for the future upgrade)
 Harddrive:500GB

BOOST: Stage 1 overclock the processor (it's free wth promotion, Y not?)
 Overclock video cards as much as possible with complete stability (part of promotion so..)

Operation: window 7 professional (here's my question I heard the 7pro is only one that's compatible with all the softwares of XP.  Am I right?  then is it 7 pro 64 bit or 32 bit?) 

Graphic card(s): Nvidia 250 GTS 1 GB single (thinking to add +1 to go SLI later)
 Power Supply:  750W cosair TX Dual SLI (for the future upgrades)

Chassis & Fan: Upgrade Chassis with LED Performance Fan
                          + Standard Fatory Heat-Sink and fan.
  Enhancements: touch 2000 aerocool temperature display & control

Please kindly advice me if my configurations are well organized due to my needs.
But my budget for this plan is around $1,400 ~$1,600

philiporphillip View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote philiporphillip Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Dec 2009 at 10:18pm
processor :: skip the i5. the p55 motherboard won't be able to upgrade to its full potential in years to come and i believe i heard it will be discontinued once i9 debuts. go with the i7-920 cpu and with the evga x58 le sli edition motherboard.

os :: it's windows 7 professional 64-bit .. it runs xp as well, unlike windows 7 home.

gpu :: are you a gamer? you should probably go with the 5870 or 5970 by ati b/c it's dx11 support. the gts 250 is really low and it's dx10 support. if it goes beyond your budget, i advise getting the cheapest gpu and replacing it later with a better 1 .. either with ati's 5870 or 5970 or with the upcoming fermi by nvidia which will be dx11 support. you will not need to overclock your gpu, even if it's free by DS.

psu :: for future-upgradability, go with the 1000w corsair hx. it will be needed if you plan to add an additional gpu.   

chassis fan :: drop the upgrade chassis (it will keep you awake at night), drop the aerocool 2000 temperature display, and drop the stock cooler .. the noctua cooler is better b/c it's an after-market high performance cooler. it will be needed b/c your cpu (the i7-920) will be overclocked between 3.3 ghz - 3.9 ghz by DS. overclocking shouldn't be done in a stock cooler. others may bypass this, but it's not recommended.

this may be slightly over your budget, i don't know. DST4ME should be here with your set-up soon and help you further.

Edited by philiporphillip - 28 Dec 2009 at 11:11pm
Digital Storm
haf 922
i7-920 oc'd @ 3.6 ghz (1.28v)
evga x58 le edition sli
cooler master v8
6 gb ddr3 1600 mhz mushkin
evga nvidia geforce gtx 295 co-op edition
1000w corsair hx
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 1:44am
philip thats gonna be majorly over his budget... sad to say but a good comp is gonna run you around $2,000. dst4me may know some way to chop a lil off without sacrificing too much

philip is right about the i5 running off of the x55 platform and it is at its max potential right now. also it is pretty much obsolete and expensive to upgrade. the i7 runs off of a x58 platform which will also be the platform for the new processor coming out 2nd quarter 2010.

so spend the money on the i7 it is much better and you can upgrade for cheaper in the future. if you go with the x55 you wil lhave to not only change your processor but your motherboard too.

with your computer being on all the time you will need a corsair powersupply they are more reliable, quieter, better warranty. 750 watt can handle 2 of most cards 1000 watt would make you future proof though if thats in your budget if not the go with the 750 watt. also make sure you set your power settings so it goes to sleep this will help with the power bill as well as reducing heat since it is idle.

cooling the noctua is quieter, more efficiant, and more reliable but if that is not in your budget the v8 coolermaster will do. overclocking creats a lot of heat so this is a must.

hold on a sec whats your resolution? lets not get crazy till we haev the info we need! you really build a computer around your monitor. each ati card in the 5xxx series can run 6 monitors by itself. this is done by eyefinity.

also don't go nvidia right now b/c they have no dx 11 cards right now which means you will have to upgrade in a year when the dx 11 games reach the shelves.

the ati 5970 is for 1900 x 1600 resolution
the ati 5870 is for 1900 x 1200 resolution
the ati 5850 is for 1680 x 1080 resolution i believe (not entirly sure)

do you want the monitors displaying seperate pictures or working as one?

drop chassis fans and the aerocooler
drop the vid card oc it just creates more heat with a 7-10% boost which you wont notice. the only thing you want to overclock is you cpu regardless of free.

win7 pro and ult have xp support so if you run programs or games that are not windows 7 compliant go pro if not go home basic.
2.5 Ghz Core duo
Nvidia 9500 gt
3 gb 1033 Mhz ram

if we can't answer a question shoot a e-mail here.

[email protected]
madmaligor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote madmaligor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 8:55am

This may be a bit controversial, but as I understand it, and I am no techie...so my appologies if I am wrong...but x11 is really just a superset of 10.1 and not a version apart.

This basically puts all functions of 10 in 11.  What you get from 11 for gamers is a much better utilization of multi core functions.  Which is awesome...but...

Game design is shaped by a backwards compatable first moto, with a very few exceptions.  From what I have read, games for the next few years will be built to take advantage of 11 but not require 11.  You probably won't even see a majority of games take full advantage of 11 until Q4 2010, if that.

This is just one old dudes opinion...and again no offense is meant with my disagreement.  I am basically in your shoes, with a bit bigger budget.  Since I fall in the Nvidia fan catagory...I took a good look at the option of waiting for the Fermi.

It came down to this....If your on a budget I wouldn't worry too much about your gcard being x11 compatible just yet.  I would do my homework and make sure I have an excellent board, a CPU that will last you 3+ years, and a case and power supply that will let you upgrade as needed.  Then worry about upgrading your graphics card a year or two from now when, and if, it becomes an issue for you.  This will also give cards like the Fermi time to cycle through a round of what basically equates to open beta tests by the computer enthusiast public.

In addition...I read that the ATI Redwood/Cedars will be very reasonably priced for the mainstream market and x11 compatible, for the more budget restricted out there Ouch
ruichi View Drop Down

Quote ruichi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 12:29pm

Saying big thank you from my office.  Based on all three of your advice, I will do more study tonight.  Thank you again, thank you very much again.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 2:19pm
@ruichi, What resolution will you be gaming at?

@Raif, your gpu and resolution numbers are not correct.

@madmaligor, for price vs performance of current games and future games, the current ati dx11 cards are the way to go.

Edited by DST4ME - 29 Dec 2009 at 2:20pm
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 2:49pm
where did i go wrong?

can you help us out with giving him a build then?
2.5 Ghz Core duo
Nvidia 9500 gt
3 gb 1033 Mhz ram

[email protected]
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 4:03pm
5970 is for 2560 x 1600, but if one wants to play crysis at highest settings and high aa then it all becomes different.

I want to help him but we can't help him without knowing his resolution first, otherwise we would be guessing his gpus needs and we could waste his money or he could endup with not enough power
Groupie
Groupie

Quote philiporphillip Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 4:36pm
1 thing is a fact :: crysis is the benchmark for all gaming pcs.

all i hear is 'crysis' here and there 24/7. it's driving me insane, in a good way, haha.   
Digital Storm
haf 922
evga x58 le edition sli
cooler master v8
1000w corsair hx
Groupie
Groupie

Quote philiporphillip Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 5:13pm
@ ruichi :: ahn-nyoung ha se-yo >,< if you're strictly on a budget, don't buy the gpu now, especially the 5870 or 5970 or anything expensive.

you can either ::

1. use the gpu you have in your old pc and install it into the new DS pc, as a temporary use until you save up for a better gpu.

2. order the cheapest gpu DS has to offer (i think it's the nvidia geforce 9600gt 512 mb) and use that gpu temporarily until you save up for a better gpu.

you will definitely save a lot of money with either of these choices. with that savings, you can order the i7-920 cpu and the evga x58 le sli edition motherboard as these will prolong your system for many years. the noctua cooler is a great cooler, but if the upgrade price is too much, the v8 cooler master is also another great cooler (i have it).

Edited by philiporphillip - 29 Dec 2009 at 5:14pm
Digital Storm
haf 922
evga x58 le edition sli
cooler master v8
1000w corsair hx
madmaligor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote madmaligor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 10:08pm
@Philip - my thinking exactly.  If hes budget limited, waiting for the cheap new x11 cards from ATI is the way to go.  Pop in whatever is cheapest and best for his needs now, and swap in a few months.

@DST4ME - I agree with you that the x11's take full advantage and are awesome, no doubt.  But if hes budget limited, the "woodie" ATI's are just around the corner for the mainstream x11 market, and will run Crysis very well.  He could also be like me and be looking at the 3D side of the coin that at the moment puts the ATI's out of the loop. =)

Since he hasn't been specific about his wants or needs, except to say hes got a certain budget, its kinda hard to help him though like Raif said.

Edited by madmaligor - 29 Dec 2009 at 10:12pm
ruichi View Drop Down

Quote ruichi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 11:19pm
 I guess Philliporphillip, you absolutely got me there.  Yes, I realized that with this budget, I can't really get something all we dream of unless I get it from some unknown or (ones with many doubts) custom PC makers.  I will probably start with i7 with a proper mother board, maybe some other basic stuff that can at least keep it running, then get the cheapest gpu like you said. I would get some serious upgrades in like two months then.

I'm learning a lot here.  Thank you all, masters.

Groupie
Groupie

Quote philiporphillip Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 12:04am
cpu/cpu cooling, motherboard, and the psu are the main components that will keep your system healthy. the memory and gpu, you can always easily un-install/install upgrades with ease.

we are just recommending the best components that will keep your system running for many years.

just do some research here and in other web sites .. read, ask, and learn. it's wise to know about what you're going to get than to just buy it blindly.

Edited by philiporphillip - 30 Dec 2009 at 12:19am
Digital Storm
haf 922
evga x58 le edition sli
cooler master v8
1000w corsair hx
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 1:02am
@ruichi that is exactly how you do it but first we need to know your resolution.
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 7:03pm
yes we really need your resolution.... with out it we are not goign to be able to give you the proper card.

@ dst i asked for the res on the 28th but no word yet... he may not even know it
2.5 Ghz Core duo
Nvidia 9500 gt
3 gb 1033 Mhz ram

[email protected]
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 9:10pm
If philiporphillip could be a little patient and let the member answer our questions that would be great. its tough for member to follow 2 or 3 different directions at the same time.

we should all be on the same page IMHO. first find out budget and res and main use of the pc and then give a proper recommendation based on what they need.
venom View Drop Down

Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Dec 2009 at 12:37am
Originally posted by philiporphillip

processor :: skip the i5. the p55 motherboard won't be able to upgrade to its full potential in years to come and i believe i heard it will be discontinued once i9 debuts. go with the i7-920 cpu and with the evga x58 le sli edition motherboard.

For what their needs are that would be overkill, and an "i9" would definitely be overkill.

os :: it's windows 7 professional 64-bit .. it runs xp as well, unlike windows 7 home.

99% of the applications and games that worked in XP will work in Windows 7.  I believe XP Mode was mainly designed for businesses (hence "Professional") that use proprietary software that will absolutely only work on XP.

gpu :: are you a gamer? you should probably go with the 5870 or 5970 by ati b/c it's dx11 support. the gts 250 is really low and it's dx10 support. if it goes beyond your budget, i advise getting the cheapest gpu and replacing it later with a better 1 .. either with ati's 5870 or 5970 or with the upcoming fermi by nvidia which will be dx11 support. you will not need to overclock your gpu, even if it's free by DS.

Or a 5770 and add another one later for close performance to a 5870.

psu :: for future-upgradability, go with the 1000w corsair hx. it will be needed if you plan to add an additional gpu.  

Agreed but you have to think "budget system."

chassis fan :: drop the upgrade chassis (it will keep you awake at night), drop the aerocool 2000 temperature display, and drop the stock cooler .. the noctua cooler is better b/c it's an after-market high performance cooler. it will be needed b/c your cpu (the i7-920) will be overclocked between 3.3 ghz - 3.9 ghz by DS. overclocking shouldn't be done in a stock cooler. others may bypass this, but it's not recommended.

I don't know where you get your facts about the stock cooler...  Got an i7 920 to 4.2GHz on the stock i7 975 cooler today, max load temp 83*C.

Edited by venom - 31 Dec 2009 at 12:40am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Dec 2009 at 12:41am
the win7 pro is only $16 difference in the configurator venom so that is why we advise that, you get xp support if you need it.
venom View Drop Down

Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Dec 2009 at 12:42am
Modified post, didn't see the XP stuff mentioned the first time around.  And wow $16.. that is a lot lower than I thought it would be.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote philiporphillip Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Dec 2009 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by venom

For what their needs are that would be overkill, and an "i9" would definitely be overkill.

99% of the applications and games that worked in XP will work in Windows 7.  I believe XP Mode was mainly designed for businesses (hence "Professional") that use proprietary software that will absolutely only work on XP.

Or a 5770 and add another one later for close performance to a 5870.

Agreed but you have to think "budget system."

I don't know where you get your facts about the stock cooler...  Got an i7 920 to 4.2GHz on the stock i7 975 cooler today, max load temp 83*C.

kudos on that oc with stock cooler. nonetheless, ocing that much on stock cooler would be uncomfortable to some. where did i get my info? here and there, lol.
Digital Storm
haf 922
evga x58 le edition sli
cooler master v8
1000w corsair hx
Groupie
Groupie

Quote philiporphillip Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Dec 2009 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

If philiporphillip could be a little patient and let the member answer our questions that would be great. its tough for member to follow 2 or 3 different directions at the same time.

we should all be on the same page IMHO. first find out budget and res and main use of the pc and then give a proper recommendation based on what they need.

sorry. got ahead of myself.
Digital Storm
haf 922
evga x58 le edition sli
cooler master v8
1000w corsair hx
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Dec 2009 at 7:33pm
NP buddy, lets just all work together btw you know venom is a DS tech right? just fyi.
 Post Reply Post Reply