FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Digital Storm or -----

Post Date: 2014-04-21

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Death Prodigy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Death Prodigy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Digital Storm or -----
    Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 9:52pm
Just wondering about that, also how good is the Digital Storm HydroLux Cooling System compared to ------- Frostbite Stage 4 Liquid Cooling System? Digital Storm's customer service and reputation seems very good, so I thought I'd come here for advice.

Edit by Nav: removed competitor's name.

Edited by Nav - 21 Apr 2014 at 11:03pm

Quote Death Prodigy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 9:58pm
What's a recommended set-up for a high-end Digital Storm 4K gaming PC (budget is $4500 without the 4K monitor)? Also, will an i7 4770k severely bottleneck a 3-way GTX 780 Ti Overclocked set-up? And by severely overclocked, I mean a decrease of about 5-10fps. The watercooling set-up doesn't really matter as I don't need a very high-end premium watercooling setup like HydroLux or Cryo-Tec, the i7 4770k would be overclocked to 4.8GHz so I would get a Corsair H110i system for that. Since i7 4770k has only 16 PCIe 2 slots, I'm guessing that would be the main cause of the bottleneck.
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 11:03pm
No one else offers something like our HydroLux system where you can monitor the temps , control airflow and adjust LED lightning in a simple to use desktop app.

In terms of bottlenecking it's best to go with the Maximus Extreme motherboard as it has a PLX switch. Also, hitting 4.8 Ghz on a 4770K and H110i is very unlikely. That high of an overclock is actually very difficult and very little Haswell CPUs can actually hit that number.

Edited by Nav - 21 Apr 2014 at 11:05pm

Quote Death Prodigy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 8:14am
Is the HydroLux system overkill?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 8:28am
Water cooling isn't overkill if your looking for the most cpu overclock you can get and also the quietest rig.   Water cooled cpu does allow for the higher oc, higher than the sealed H series coolers, but how high is a function of how good a chip you have.  For Haswell, 4.4 or so is about average for air cooled or the H series.   Of course, every build is different.  DS could give you better stats on what they can give you. 

For water cooled video cards, the stock fans are replaced with a cooling block.  Since the graphic card fans are usually the noisiest part of a system, the water cooler cards with  the right fans on the rad can be quieter.  

For most that are happy with a moderate oc and have a case with great airflow to take care of the cards, full water cooling is more a luxury.   

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 8:58am
Here's a build to get you started.  Not water cooled and not a 4.8 oc,and a little over the budget .

Config # 953812             Cost $ 4834

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair Carbide Series Air 540

Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 4770K 3.50 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VI EXTREME (Intel Z87 Chipset) (The Ultimate Power Platform)

System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Platinum Series with Corsair Link (CP-9020008-NA) (Quad SLI Compatible)

Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (250GB Samsung 840 EVO)

Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)

Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 3x SLI Triple (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB (Includes PhysX)

Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H100i 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)

H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

The Corsair 540 case has very good airflow and would give the cards all the fresh air they need.

The H100, or H110, will work very good with the Haswell chip at a moderate oc.

The Maximus mobo is needed for anything over an sli setup with Haswell.  It has the PLX chip, as Nav mentioned, that allows for tri-sli as it multiplexes, shares,  the signals to more than the cpu's 16 lanes of data. 

Just a way to go and good luck. Big%20Smile
surf71zx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote surf71zx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 9:55am
Thats a very nice case!  Its divided, motherboard and gpus on one side; other side is power supply, hard drives and optical drives. Its got a big window on motherboard side.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 10:13am
Yeah, ever since they dropped the HafX , the Air 540 seems a great pick for air cooled setups.    I like the size, shape , also.    Big%20Smile

Quote Death Prodigy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 12:38am
I'd get the Hailstorm II with EVGA Superclocked 780 Tis in 2-way SLI with further GPU overclocking to reach clock speeds of arond 1400MHz, would perform nearly just as well as 3 780 Tis in SLI with overclocking.
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Death Prodigy

I'd get the Hailstorm II with EVGA Superclocked 780 Tis in 2-way SLI with further GPU overclocking to reach clock speeds of arond 1400MHz, would perform nearly just as well as 3 780 Tis in SLI with overclocking.

Getting 1400Mhz on standard EVGA ACX cards just isn't going to happen. We've hit 1200Mhz on some but anything above that is a dime a dozen. If you want those insane clocks, you need the K|NGP|N edition cards with exotic cooling.
 Post Reply Post Reply