Digital Storm RGB Controller

Post Date: 2020-06-11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Digital Storm RGB Controller
    Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 11:31am
Hi.

Do any of you know about all the various patterns that are available for the RGB case lighting and the DS AIO Stage 2 liquid cooler? Alternatively, is there a way to save a pattern while you scroll through alternatives?

Thanks.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 3:50am
IIRC, there are 384 possibilities, if you're talking about the free internal light strip. I think I got the pattern I wanted and then went to work on the colors and brightness. TBH, I don't remember. I do recall it could be all one color. This is obviously a pretty basic inexpensive part, so I doubt it would have memory to recall what you had locked while you looked at others.

I don't know anything about the DS AIO. I got a Corsair, and from iCue, I think I could choose from maybe five steady colors.
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 6:16am
The DS AIO matches the fans in colors and also matches a certain portion of the LED strip as it goes around.

On mine the dimming button on the controller does not dim very much. Is this normal?

TIA.
Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2020 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by John18

On mine the dimming button on the controller does not dim very much. Is this normal?TIA.

Yep, normal. I can't tell any difference when I select DIM.
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2020 at 6:57pm
Thanks.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2020 at 5:00am
FWIW, After the last time I completely disconnected my rig for cleaning, the light strip decided to do pretty much it's own thing. Only part of it flashes at all. I probably disturbed it in some way. 2 1/2 years old. What I meant by "basic and inexpensive".
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2020 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Cretae

IIRC, there are 384 possibilities, if you're talking about the free internal light strip. I think I got the pattern I wanted and then went to work on the colors and brightness. TBH, I don't remember. I do recall it could be all one color. This is obviously a pretty basic inexpensive part, so I doubt it would have memory to recall what you had locked while you looked at others.

I don't know anything about the DS AIO. I got a Corsair, and from iCue, I think I could choose from maybe five steady colors.

The AIO and the free LED strip run the same patterns and colors. My computer is located on the desk just to my right. The LED strip right at the front exactly matches the AIO (and its fans) color all the time. The LED strip moves clockwise around the strip so in other spots it does not match the AIO (and fans). The six Corsair LL case fans are totally different in their synced color and timings.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 4:27am
Hey John18, It sounds like you're having some fun with that.

I came over here BC I didn't want to highjack that OP. I've always been into strategy and rpgs. I dabbled in the 80's when games were really rudimentary, but it got serious when I bought CIV. I must have put thousands of hours into the original, and played on Deity all the time. I got the "for windows" Civ2 and went on from there. IMHO they wrecked the game when they started to penalize you for how far you are from your capitol. IDK how you can conquer the world, when your production is 1 shield in most all your conquered cities.

I have been a science fiction junky since I found Isaac Asimov at ~12. When I found Wing Commander, I was in heaven. IMHO, Privateer was one of the best games ever. I played the whole series.

In the mid 90's I discovered Fallout, and I've been totally hooked ever since. What a great series until '76. I don't want to play Fallout in co-op. That great rpg experience led me right into Balder's Gate, and there were some very good games there.

In more recent years it's been the Dragon Age and Mass Effect series. I still have Mass Effect Andromeda to go.

The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series was very good. I still have the Metro series in my queue, and I'm anticipating a lot of the same vibe.

FPSs are pretty rough on us old guys, (me anyway) but I've done quite a few of the older CODs and Battlefields.

I remember playing the oddly named Divine Divinity years ago, so when I saw Divine II, Dragon Knight Saga on Steam for a pittance, I went for it and I'm playing it now. Amazingly deep and thoughtful, the graphics are still great for 2010-11. You get to shape-shift into a dragon! I can easily recommend it, and I will be looking into The much newer Divinity Original Sin II.

Very early on, I got burned buying games I just couldn't play, so I got in the habit of waiting until good titles ended up in the bargain bin at the stores. Remember them? I ended up with a backlog so that I had plenty to play until every hot new game eventually went on sale for next to nothing. that way, if I got burned with an unplayable (for me), I could blow it off. The best part of that system is I get the game and all the DLC all at once. I waited patiently for Witcher 3 until I got the Game of the Year addition for ~$12.

I know that's TMI. I get carried away gushing about our hobby sometimes. For me it's such a rich history and been such fun over all the years. It's been an amazing experience watching the computer industry in search of the holy grail of lifelike 3D modelling. Mission accomplished! Hope it's the same for you.
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 8:40am
OMG, Wing Commander. I remember that well. It was awesome.

I have never gotten intro CIV. Maybe I should try that again.

(BTW, they have announced Baulder's Gate 3 and it will go into early release in August.)

We both have spent time with Mass Effect and Dragon Age. I have a new DA:I playthough in progress and the game looks awesome at 1440p.

When you try Andromeda it takes 10-12 hours to get past that which really killed it. That first 10 hours of Andromeda was the fully playable demo that was released right before the game and it was dull. The better parts didn't start until after that point. Also there is supposed to be a major remaster of a Bioware product that will be released by 3/31/21. The betting is the Mass Effect trilogy. (Take my money, please.)

I know all about the FPS games and old guys. I have tried COD: MW on the freebie weekend just to see what it looks like with RTX on. It was great, but I am horrible. I may buy it just to play the campaign mode and see if I like it well enough to go to multiplayer.

Speaking of multiplayer, you might want to try Overwatch. There are characters there that don't require the eyesight and reflexes of 20 year-olds.

I also have Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. I should have plenty to do in my down hours.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 5:34am
Wing Commander forced me to buy an 8 bit sound card for $80 1992 dollars, and install it myself. It's when I learned it wasn't going to be that hard to go inside a computer. What a great series! I "never" re-play games, but the I replayed the whole series - 1,2,3,4, Prophecy. But Privateer was the best. Privateer 2 was too hard on me.

Thanks for the heads-up on Andromeda. I'd heard it was not up to the others, but didn't much care. I'll just be patient, then!

COD MW 1 and 2, I was able to play through, but IIRC the "special ops" were too hard. I've played just a bit of MW3, but it looks doable. I don't even try multi-player, though. Not my thing.

Cheers!
 Post Reply Post Reply