FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Digital Storm ship to UK?

Post Date: 2009-09-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ish View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ish Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Digital Storm ship to UK?
    Posted: 24 Sep 2009 at 4:00pm
   Hey there, I want to buy a new pc from DS but I've been looking on the site and there doesn't seem to be any shipping to the UK as far as I can see or maybe I'm just  being blind? :) .
   Help please.

Ish
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2009 at 4:28pm
yes there is, but you will need to purchase a crate that will cost an extra $200.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2009 at 7:37pm
Give us a call directly and we'll make all the special arrangements.
sirsiddius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sirsiddius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2009 at 4:33am
As long as you don't mind getting slapped with a 20% vat. Seriously though unless you have special tax breaks or whatever it's not worth getting a pc from cali and shipping to the Uk. Have you tried looking at any uk venodors. From what I hear kobalt computers is pretty good.
Ish View Drop Down

Quote Ish Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 4:29pm
Thanks for the reply, very helpful and sorry for the slow response been out of town for a few days. I'll take a look at Kobalt, 20% vat doesn't make me a happy camper.

Edit: They don't even compare to DS on a small scale I guess I'll have to either give up the extra cash or shop around, ohwell.

Edited by Ish - 29 Sep 2009 at 4:35pm
sirsiddius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sirsiddius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 5:06pm
OK I don't like to throw numbers around at random, so I'll clarify. If you import Items to the UK, you will be charged 2 duties. VAT and Custom Duties

VAT is levied on most goods sold in the UK and stands at 15% of the value of the item purchased. This is the standard flat tax that the government charges for all non-essential items.

Custom Duty Tax is that extra bit you have to pay her majesty's government as punishment for NOT buying goods in the UK/EU. This can basically range from 0%-whatever the government feels like. They don't list the various rates of duty tax they charge for goods but you can call then to get a quote. I originally said 20% because a friend of mine bought a laptop from the states and was charged with a 5.5% duty tax. (Here's there website with their contact info)

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/arrivingnoneu.htm

Keep in mind that no even if you buy from the UK you will STILL have to pay for VAT (one of the many reasons why stuff is generally cheaper in the US) but you obviously will not have to pay a Custom Duty tax.

Also keep in mind that the VAT will be raised from 15% to 17.5% as of Jan 1 2010.

In light of the extra custom duty tax, plus extra shipping cost, plus the added worry of shipping the pc back if it turned out defective. As much as I like DS. I would be hesitant in purchasing from then if I were from the UK seeing as it is neither economical nor practical to buy a PC from the other side of the world.

(Though to be fair I did see a youtube vid of someone who bought a DS rig in the UAE, but then again that place is practically tax free, the government there is much less anal and I doubt there are many bespoke PC builders in the middle east).

So good luck with your purchase. And I hope I helped.

Edited by sirsiddius - 29 Sep 2009 at 5:16pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 8:05pm
We do have a lot of customers that purchased from us overseas. Hardly any of them have had any damage issues, etc because we require the customers to purchase the wooden crate option.
alexward66 View Drop Down

Quote alexward66 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2009 at 9:05pm

Hi, what are the implications for shipping to Australia? I'm looking at buying the i7 Extreme 5 deal marked as $3089. Is this in US dollars, and are there any additional overseas taxes etc? Finally, what would be the expected shipping time? Thanks for your help.

Post Reply Post Reply