FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Digital Storm vs Ibuypower vs CyberPower

Post Date: 2010-05-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dalthius View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dalthius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Digital Storm vs Ibuypower vs CyberPower
    Posted: 28 May 2010 at 11:51pm
I've been tinkering with builds at all 3 of these sites, plus newegg. The prices are so compettive it's crazy. I originally wanted to build my own, but after the price comparison...well, I'm very tempted to go with a shop.

Digital Storm is only a little bit pricier than the others, but I hear nothing but good things...plus, with an A+ rating with the BBB, I'm really leaning towards them. They may not have all the exact customization options that I'm interested in, but they are damned close, plus I hear they will order whatever you want and install it for you.

I guess I'm more interested in a QUALITY build....tight cabling, good airflow, room for upgrades. I'd rather do overclocking, etc, on my own, and in that respect I'd prefer parts (particularly a GPU) that isn't voided by mild overclocking.

The build I have so far is 410200

It's for a single Samsung SyncMaster T260HD, 1920x1200. I have little interest really in going Eyefinity, but I would like to have the option of upgrading to a Crossfire system in the future.

The biggest issues for me have been which SSD to go with, and witch ATI card - 5870 vs 5970. The 5970 is only about $300 more than the 5870 and has great numbers. I also REALLY prefer a quiet(er) machine, I get very irritated with loud noises, but I'm not a fan of water cooling.

I can get a similiar system from iBuypower with a few more tweaks and right about the same price, but again...I hear nothing but GOOD things from Digital Storm.

Thoughts?

Also, I forgot to mention, all my other builds have included the Gigabyte UD3R, which I think is a damned fine mobo for the $$$. Digital Storm does not offer this particular mobo, but they seem to really push the EVGA LE mobos, of which I know very little....

My budget is about $2500, but I certainly don't feel the need to spend that much if I don't have to. While I do enjoy a good FPS (LOVED Mass Effect), I'm much more a fan of strategy games like Total War, Civ, etc. Dunno if that helps. I'm also a firm believer that when you spend $2k+ on a machine, it should damn well last you at least 3 years.

Edited by Dalthius - 28 May 2010 at 11:57pm
2Cigars View Drop Down

Quote 2Cigars Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 May 2010 at 3:00am
First off, Let me address the "Boutique Dealer" question...

I have been searching online for a great online dealer since May 2008. Everything from the bigger ones like Alienware [pre-dell], ibuypower, avadirect, cyberpower... to mid range and smaller operations like falcon northwest, ******** [edit: Can't say this one I guess LOL], puget custom systems, origin pc, etc, etc, etc.

I know these places by name and what they offer off hand due to the sheer number of hours spent in their configurators, forums, and reading reviews.

Digital Storm is the only place I even consider now. They are a great combination of quality and value. Attention to detail and support. This company is just big enough to have everything you want, all of the right staff, and the right amount of people involved, while at the same time, small enough to give individual attention.

If you're looking for a quality build, this is the place to be.

Edited by 2Cigars - 29 May 2010 at 3:01am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 May 2010 at 3:17am
comparing those places to DS is like comparing couple of rocks to a diamond.

I would never buy from Ibuypower or cbp, they are crap, what you are buying is a headache and crap customer svc.

for ssd intel is king then vertex and corsair.

5970 is in internal sli, so you really are dealing with 1GB of vram, it also runs hot and gets out performed by 2 x 5870.

for your res I would go either with 1 x 5870/480.

if you want to be able to go cf/sli then for 5870/480 you will want accordingly 1000w/1200w psu.

90% of your noise will come from the gpu's fan when under load.

we buy our pcs from places like DS because we can upgrade the parts instead it lasting 3 years, as the games need more gpu power, we can either add another gpu or just get a new gpu in 2 or 3 years and enjoy our games at high settings again.

your build needs to be like this:

Here you go Ticket# 410265 --- Price: $2297 (To see this build click here) Price after current promotion $2297

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master HAF 932
Exterior Finish: - Not Available
Trim Accents: - Not Available
Processor: Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 LE Edition SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - Not Available
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (80GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Extreme Performance) (Model: SSDSA2MH080G2R5)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Seagate/Hitachi/Western Digital (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 22x / CD-Writer 48x) (LightScribe Edition)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Noctua Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler (Compatible With ONLY i7 Processors)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - Not Available
Chassis Mods: - Not Available
Noise Reduction: - Not Available
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Boost Video Card: - Not Available
Boost Memory: - Not Available
Boost OS: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Virus Protection: - Not Available
Office: - Not Available
Benchmarking: - Not Available
Install/Test Game: - Not Available
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: FREE PROMO: 4 Year Limited Warranty with Life-Time Customer Support

oh drop the os tweak, it makes no difference to games and apps.

Edited by DST4ME - 29 May 2010 at 3:18am
2Cigars View Drop Down

Quote 2Cigars Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 May 2010 at 3:34am
Motherboard: I like the EVGA x58 LE. It's a good board, nice features, good looking, easy to use. Check out THIS REVIEW for more information.

With SSD, there is a ton of research to be done. Trust me, I have been there. I could send you tons of charts, but in the end, you will find that most SSDs are great in one or two areas, but not everything. You will also find lots of reviews based on I/O performance, which, while important in some environments, doesn't matter as much to you.

In summary, In second generation of Intel SSDs are the most consistent top performer across the board. In my upcoming build, I WILL be betting an 80gb G2 Intel SSD.

So... 5970? It's a one card alternative to doing 2x 5870 in Crossfire. It is the fastest single card on the planet. If you searched the web for 5870 vs. GTX 480 you would have enough reading for a lifetime. My only question to you is: What's your experience with ATI in the past?

Cooling: I highly recommend the Noctua D14. Consistently ranks in the top in terms of cooling ability and low noise charts. This is a $61 upgrade for your build.

Here is a build for you if you want to stick with the 5970. It would not be my choice, as the 5870 will get you by just fine. You can also upgrade to crossfire in the long run, but need a beefier power supply.

Build Ticket 410260
Total Price with Instant Savings: $2,374.00
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - HAF 922
Processor: Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 LE Edition SLI (Intel X58 Chipset)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series  (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Digital Storm Certified (Dual SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Recommended)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (80GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Extreme Performance)
Hard Drive Set 2: 1x (1TB Seagate/Hitachi/Western Digital (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)
Optical Drive 1: DVDąR/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 22x / CD-Writer 48x) (LightScribe Edition)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port
Video Card: 1x ATI Radeon HD 5970 2GB
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 Extreme Performance
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Warranty: FREE PROMO: 4 Year Limited Warranty with Life-Time Customer Support Great Memorial Weekend Deal!

Edited by 2Cigars - 29 May 2010 at 3:37am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 May 2010 at 3:47am
I can't say the 5970 is the fastest card on the planet when it gets beat by 480 in gta4 or any games that need more then 1GB of vram, and 5970 is overkill for that res unless he is playing crysis or metro, and even then he is not getting great fps. but other then that ya it is the fastest but if you don't need the extra power then you won't notice it, 5970 is more for 2560 x 1600 res.

I don't think its a good idea to pay for a 750w psu now and then pay for another psu again in a year or so and then pay for installing it or go thru the trouble of installing it yourself.

psu is something you get at the time of the build, why pay twice for a psu?

Edited by DST4ME - 29 May 2010 at 3:49am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 May 2010 at 11:22pm
I considered those others as well, until I started to compare reviews by real customers about how their experience went. The consensus was, IBP never answers the phone after you buy no matter what. CyP makes sloppy builds, and doesn't put much effort into correcting that anytime soon. DS busts their A to build it right, sends it as protected from delivery bullies as it can possibly be (at no extra charge), and tries their damnedest to fix what's wrong. NOBODY complains about their service. It's remarkable.
Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Intel Core i7 930 3.8GHz OC
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
I can make my mind think... anything....
Dalthius View Drop Down

Quote Dalthius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2010 at 12:02pm
I've more or less decided to go with DS. Leaning toward a build w/5870, potential to Crossfire in the future.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2010 at 2:08pm
the config I build for you can go cf in the future and has everything you need, just make sure the 80GB is enough for HDD1.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2010 at 3:03pm
Good decisions on both counts, Dalthius! Buy before the Promo runs out. you won't regret it.
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2010 at 3:41pm
Ermm
Dalthius View Drop Down

Quote Dalthius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2010 at 7:30pm
2Cigars, I like the build you put together. Drop it down to a 5870, add a beefier power supply, and I may just pull the trigger....hmmm....so tempting to wait, but the free 4 year warranty is a good deal. Grrrr.

I'm still a bit stuck on the SSD. I'm not entirely sure an 80gb SSD is going to be enough for my OS and a few games, plus still leave 20% open for optimum efficiency. I'm looking at the OCZ 120GB, not a whole lot of bad things about it that I can find. Not as fast as the Intel 80GB, but that's not really much of a surprise.

I better decide by tomorrow if that extra year of warranty is worth it! I'll probably end up waiting to see if they have another "good" special coming up, but I doubt it.

Decisions, decisions.

Oh, almost forgot, in my build I dropped the cooler down to the Coolermaster V8. I'm not entirely sure your choic of cooler is worth the extra $$$, but I'll make a point to check the reviews.

Edited by Dalthius - 30 May 2010 at 7:31pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2010 at 8:06pm
Take a look at this:
From Dragoonseal:

I already know my stuff. I'm always learning more every day but I'm very familiar with and up to date on current SSD technology. I have no less than five overclocker/HDD/SSD forum tabs open in Firefox which I never close and read every day, and many more that I frequently check in on. SSDs are a big hobby of mine and I love to gleam as much information about them as possible and know what you can and can't do with them.

If you don't have a very in depth knowledge of current SSD and related technologies and won't take the time to research them and present the facts, then don't come here trying to sound like you know what you're talking about. Now I have to sit here and waste my time to pick apart your post and correct all this misinformation because you decided to try and run your mouth.

Originally posted by Raif

74.5gb is not a lot of space for os/apps/games. think about it most games take up a  min of 10gb of space so if you don't mind a small library of games then your fine.most people want to have the space to have a variety of games as well as everything else in terms of apps ect.

Bullcrap 74.5GB isn't a lot of space for OS/apps, I dare you to even try to fill up that much space without a number of large games, multiple virtual machine OSs, or some kind of huge rendering software. Games on an SSD are a luxury, if you got room for them great, if not then install them on the HDD. SSD have a very high GB/$ price, you don't buy a huge amazingly expensive one to use like a normal drive and throw all your junk media onto it, you buy a small, fast, affordable SSD to put your OS and important apps on and a large conventional HDD for everything else.

A small library of currently played games is exactly what you want to have installed on one, not your entire Steam games collection.

Originally posted by Raif

that is why we recommend 120gb+. and fyi when i recommend a ssd 9/10 i recommend the 160gb intel b/c they have the best ssd drives. the other 1/10 is for people who need larger volumes.

Not we recommend, you recommend. Intel doesn't have any 128GB SSDs, only 40GB, 80GB, and 160GB. If you suggest people get a 128GB SSD then chances are good they're going to get a cheaper inferior Indilinx SSD, because they're almost the only SSD available at that size. In fact the one and only SSD at 120-128GB that I know of that isn't a piece of crap and complete waste of money is the 128GB version of the Crucial RealSSD C300. But at $400 and with all the firmware and bricking issues Crucial has been having with those, and how new and untested they are, I would still recommend an Intel 80GB or 160GB over one of those in a heartbeat.

Dragoonseal is the guy making those points, and he knows his stuff. IMO, 80 gigs is more than you think it is if you use it properly like Drag recommends. You've got room for 6-10 games, but you rotate them in and out. Get done with one, move it to your storage drive. It'll still play from there.
Let me recommend the Noctua 120 Dual. The D14 was too much for me, too, but the dual is $6 more than the V8. I can tell you the dual gets the job done and is silent at 3-4 feet. I've been around awhile and I've never seen anyone recommend/brag on the V8.
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
Dalthius View Drop Down

Quote Dalthius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2010 at 8:20pm
Excellent post Cretae, thank you very much. I'm going to do a little bit more research myself (trust, but verify, I always say), but hey, if an 80GB Intel will get the job done, that saves me some $$$ that I can spend somewhere else.

Thanks for the info on the cooler, too. I feel like I'm getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger...
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2010 at 9:45pm

All you really need is an 80GB SSD for your operating system and page file.

This way, your system will feel zippy and won't bog down.

A second hard drive can house all the games, applications, etc...

If you use a special application that is very hard drive intensive, simply place that on your 80GB SSD.
Dalthius View Drop Down

Quote Dalthius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2010 at 10:19pm
I'm sold on the 80GB HD. I mean, really, ok, I can load a few games a little "zippier". Not that big of a deal, surely all my games on my 1TB drive will run fine. It's a psychological thing more than anything else.

I'm good as far as SSD now, thanks guys. Now it's a matter of sitting and staring at the config screen for a bit. The computer config I like is costing less than I planned, which is a good thing; now it is a matter of the small things...I like the HAF 922, but since I'm spending less, do I feel like spending a little extra $$$ to get the Fortress? I'm pretty sold on the HAF 922, it's value you really can't beat.

Thanks for the inputs guys....lots of thinking to do!
AndydViking View Drop Down

Quote AndydViking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2010 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by Dalthius

2Cigars, I like the build you put together. Drop it down to a 5870, add a beefier power supply, and I may just pull the trigger....hmmm....so tempting to wait, but the free 4 year warranty is a good deal. Grrrr.

I'm still a bit stuck on the SSD. I'm not entirely sure an 80gb SSD is going to be enough for my OS and a few games, plus still leave 20% open for optimum efficiency. I'm looking at the OCZ 120GB, not a whole lot of bad things about it that I can find. Not as fast as the Intel 80GB, but that's not really much of a surprise.

I better decide by tomorrow if that extra year of warranty is worth it! I'll probably end up waiting to see if they have another "good" special coming up, but I doubt it.

Decisions, decisions.

Oh, almost forgot, in my build I dropped the cooler down to the Coolermaster V8. I'm not entirely sure your choic of cooler is worth the extra $$$, but I'll make a point to check the reviews.

IMHO that Noctua would be way better than that V8 cooler.  Worth the few extra bucks.  Or go Noctua NH-U12P SE2 to save some cash but both Noctua's are better from what I seen of the V8.  I have the Noctua NH-U12P SE2 and getting great temps with a 3.5 OC.

I think you'll like the Haf 922.  It's really solid and lots of room.  Only thing is filters which it lacks but you can pick up those at a later time http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=26197

Edited by AndydViking - 30 May 2010 at 10:57pm
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2010 at 11:11pm
the "assassin" has easy to remove filters, and it has a 90 mobo rotation so it can use less fans and still pump out and pretty decent air cooling. just gotta watch out for the quick releases, forget using them and just use regular screws, trust me on that.

Edited by ablahblah - 30 May 2010 at 11:11pm
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
Dalthius View Drop Down

Quote Dalthius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2010 at 11:37pm
Just read an in-depth review of the "Assassin", or Fortress, rather.

Very nice case, but....worth $150 extra? Debatable. It's sleek, functional, nice...but that's a lot of $$$ over the HAF 922. Lol, just something else to think about, i suppose.
Dalthius View Drop Down

Quote Dalthius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2010 at 11:56pm
This is the final build I'm contemplating. Only possible change would be the case, between the HAF 922 and the Fortress 2, a difference of around $150.

I'll likely ask them to install a thermal display, probably a NZXT, around $30 or so, and then see how much they would charge for higher quality cabling (sleeved cables, etc). Shipping is $65 ground, I believe.

Also, possibly considering going with the 1000w power supply, in order to support future upgrade to Crossife. Not sure if it is worth it at this point, but it's a possiblity.

Edited by Dalthius - 30 May 2010 at 11:57pm
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 12:43am
Originally posted by Dalthius

Excellent post Cretae, thank you very much. I'm going to do a little bit more research myself (trust, but verify, I always say), but hey, if an 80GB Intel will get the job done, that saves me some $$$ that I can spend somewhere else.

Unfortunately 99% of the 128GB sized SSDs are either JMicron, Samsung, or Indilinx controller based. They're all pretty equally bad. An Intel SSD has 8 to 10 times better small file read/write performance than any of them, makes much better use of NCQ (read multiple things in parallel), has better wear leveling and write amplification (longer lasting), and is proven more reliable. The JMicron, Samsung, and Indilinx drives wouldn't be so damned bad if they would just come down in price, they'd be a cheaper alternative, but as it stands Intel drives have almost the same GB per $ cost so there's really no reason to go with the inferior drives and waste your money.

An Intel 80GB will be plenty of room for OS/apps and even a number of large games. You don't need anything but OS/apps on a SSD, the games are just a bonus luxury.

EDIT: Oops, guess I'm too late anyway. I left the tab open and forgot to press the post button hours ago.

Edited by Dragoonseal - 31 May 2010 at 12:45am
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 4:05pm
if you are not gonna go cf in the future and don't need no more then 2 free pci slots with the 5870 installed then go with the micro mobo.

if you do plan on going cf in the future then that build will not do it for you.

if you want to be able to go cf in teh future then use my config as a base.

and no matter what you do never go with DS certified psu, always go with corsair or enermax here when it comes to psu.

some games are large so if you have any of these games and the 80GB is not enough for you, then go with the 160GB intel, if you can't fit that in the budget then go with a vertex or corsair ssd you will be ok, I have vertex LE myself, for your use you are not gonna notice too much of difference and not having had an ssd you will be shocked by the speed anyways, Or you can just wait and add a ssd later, its real easy and takes 2 minutes, in the future you can get a faster ssd for a better price. Intel is gonna have new ones out end of the year I think. If you want the king of ssds then you want intel.

You don't have add the ssd now, ssds/hdds are the easiest thing in teh world to add at anytime.

Edited by DST4ME - 31 May 2010 at 4:11pm
Kyale View Drop Down

Quote Kyale Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 7:27pm
I recommend avoiding CyberPower.
I recommend using Origin or extreme caution in accepting shipments from CyberPower or Digital Storm and any company that has a policy not to refund shipping even in the case of damaged or defective equipment.

Here is what a good companies terms should look like:
"Shipping and Risk:  Loss or damage that occurs during shipping by a carrier used by ORIGIN PC is ORIGIN PC's responsibility.  Loss or damage that occurs during shipping by a carrier used by you is your responsibility. Shipping dates are estimates. You must notify ORIGIN PC of damaged or missing items from your order within seven (7) calendar days after you receive your product." (from Origin).

I hand a bad experience with Cyberpower that could have happened Digital Storm or any company that has poor customer protection policies.

They packaged my system sideways (the internal box was marked fragile in a direction perpendicular to the outside box, also marked fragile, but offering sideways as up).

My order was damaged in shipping and their company has stated a refusal to fully refund my money. They insist on keeping the original shipping charges. And they were unwilling to ship a replacement unit before asking for the return. I did not want banged up components in a new package and I feel sorry for the person who receives parts from my return. The drop was sever enough to bend the casing. And the operating system had to be repaired from a CD because the original installation and on board repair instructions were nonoperative. Do you want that hard drive in yours system? How about the cooling fans and water pump? They seem to work fine for now.

On top of it all, they gave me one days notice for the return pick up.

Digital Storm is listed as A+ with the better business bureau which suggests that they don't have a policy of charging for goods and services not rendered.

Update:
Cyberpower's damaged equipment policy seems to be standard. If anything, Digital Storm offers even less buyer protection with a clause to only refund the current market value of the equipment. Also, Digital Storm says that they include insurance with UPS and Fedex deliveries, but it's not specified how ground is shipped. Also, I didn't see any option for buying insurance with delivery. Also, the clause "customer is responsible for all loss after products leave Digital Storm’s place of business" is rather unsettling.

My advice is, order with a credit card and have a box cutter ready when the shipment arrives, and open it before signing to make sure that it was not damaged. And have the product returned on the spot if it was damaged. If the company gives any trouble, most credit card companies will refuse charges if the customer does not receive the product.

That or go with Origin, they're a little more, but not much. For $50 extra, they'll use any case of your choice (of course you pay for the case too). They also have one very interesting case. It's worth seeing and difficult to describe. It looks like all the components are vacuumpacked to a wall under a metal skin.

I ended up going with Digital Storm for the price and the convenience of included overclocking.

Edited by Kyale - 30 Jul 2010 at 10:40pm
god View Drop Down

Quote god Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

if you are not gonna go cf in the future and don't need no more then 2 free pci slots with the 5870 installed then go with the micro mobo.

if you do plan on going cf in the future then that build will not do it for you.

if you want to be able to go cf in teh future then use my config as a base.

and no matter what you do never go with DS certified psu, always go with corsair or enermax here when it comes to psu.

some games are large so if you have any of these games and the 80GB is not enough for you, then go with the 160GB intel, if you can't fit that in the budget then go with a vertex or corsair ssd you will be ok, I have vertex LE myself, for your use you are not gonna notice too much of difference and not having had an ssd you will be shocked by the speed anyways, Or you can just wait and add a ssd later, its real easy and takes 2 minutes, in the future you can get a faster ssd for a better price. Intel is gonna have new ones out end of the year I think. If you want the king of ssds then you want intel.

You don't have add the ssd now, ssds/hdds are the easiest thing in teh world to add at anytime.

Wait, what is wrong with the DS certified PSU?  I already ordered my system, and when I talked to sales, the representative told me that DS thoroughly researched everything and always use the best quality parts possible.  And they say the DS certified PSU is a high performance quality part, and I should not worry about them using cheapo no-name stuff.  And now you are saying, to quote you: "no matter what you do, never go with DS certified psu."  Whats going on here?

I already ordered my system with the DS certified psu.  Should I be worried? 

Edited by god - 29 Jul 2010 at 9:47pm
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by god

I already ordered my system with the DS certified psu.  Should I be worried?

No.

He's always been of the opinion that a name brand PSU is vastly superior. And while he's welcome to that opinion, not everyone shares it.

Alex from the Digital Storm team says good things about DS's brand of PSUs (TechNPS), in that they are manufactured by the same companies that make PSUs for all the top PSU brands. I've yet to see anything to indicate that they aren't a perfectly viable alternative to the more expensive branded options.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 10:04pm
They aren't bad at all, if your on a budget, they are a good choice since you'll be able to put that saved cash into other upgrades in your system.

If they were bad, we would not offer them. The last thing we want to do is sell customers unreliable units because in the end, our goal is to ensure our customers are happy with their systems and come back for their next PC again.
WardTheSteak View Drop Down

Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 10:12pm

No it's nothing to worry about, your psu will perform fine.

Liq View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Liq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 7:15am
 avoid ATI like the plague unless you want to deal with worse IQ and driver issues every month.I got burned on my first ATI card a few weeks ago, and I'm NEVER buying ATI again.
Ben View Drop Down

Quote Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by Liq

avoid ATI like the plague unless you want to deal with worse IQ and driver issues every month.I got burned on my first ATI card a few weeks ago, and I'm NEVER buying ATI again.

I wouldn't go that far. I have used both ATI and Nvidia over the years and have experience some issues with both cards. Depending on what you use your GPU for, I would read the reviews before purchasing it from ATI or Nvidia. The biggest mistake people make is to stick with one brand through thick and thin and ignoring changes/advancements each company has made over the years. Companies are only loyal to their bottom line, we should be loyal to our pocket.
WardTheSteak View Drop Down

Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 2:05pm
Honestly, each company has had bad times with drivers, and you're gonna experience them with either.  I've heard dudes say they're never gonna buy nvidia again because of driver problems and I've heard some say the same about ati just like you liq.  But, to not buy from either of the companies just because of that is a really bad reason, and could possibly harm you in the future by missing out on quality products.  The ATI cards are great and even at almost a year old now can still compete with the gtx 480, and to know that around the corner they have a new card that will feature part of the newer architecture, but since TSMC screwed up with the 32nm process it will still have to be at 40nm.  Yet, with these cards around the corner you would say you'd never buy ATI again isn't smart.  These cards might wallop the 480's.  The same goes for nividia.  They will continue to expand on fermi and unlock the true potential of the architecture, so never say you won't buy from either company just because of driver issues.  They both have them, and they probably always will.
 Post Reply Post Reply