FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Direct X 10.1

Post Date: 2007-09-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dhayes616 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dhayes616 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Direct X 10.1
    Posted: 23 Sep 2007 at 8:29am
I recently read that the current crop of Nvidia cards, including the 8800 Ultras will not fully supoort the features of DX 10.1.  I realize how fast things change vis a vis graphics card technology, but I'm hesitant to plunk down 600 buck for a card that could so soon be obsolete.  I'm really hopin to get at least 3 years outta my new system.

So heres my question:

Do you folks think it would be better to go with a much cheaper card now and get a 9 series card when theyre available or will the 8800 provide the umph to see me thru the next couple of years?  (FYI I had planned on getting a single 8800 Ultra now and adding a second in a few months when the price dropped.)

Thanks for your help/opinions
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Sep 2007 at 9:31am
The 8800s will not be obsolete. The high end series already does 4x AA and 32 bit floating point filtering.

DX10.1 is nothing more than a update that is extending hardware functionality. Just like previous updates to DX9 and DX8.

Most games will be developed for DX10 at least another 6-9 years.
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
Bill the Cat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Forum Bitch!

Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Sep 2007 at 11:43am
dhayes616,

I've read some of the same articles you have and thus believe that the current DX10 capable cards are not and will not be DX10.1 compliant. But I also agree with skyR that, at least for the next few years, it won't matter. Heck, for the next few years, being DX9 compatable will be good enough.
dhayes616 View Drop Down

Quote dhayes616 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 2:02am
Thanks for yer help.

FYI, you two deserve a gift from DS for all the replies.  Thanks again.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 8:53am
I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, but there are some realities we all need to consider while doing what we do here as the consumer.

DS has no affiliation with customers that post on the forums outside of the actual business transaction that takes place.  Each customer that posts takes it upon themselves too answer questions, and this is not on behalf of DS.  Because questions get answered by intelligent customers before DS technicians have the chance to answer themselves, doesn't mean that DS should be bound by any obligation to offer gifts or awards to their customers.  I'm sure if DS were to offer something it would because they appreciate the input from the customer.

Also, remember this, DS cannot be responsible if you go and act on information a non-representative of DS offers that is incorrect and then experience issues because of that information.  DS is strictly liable for what they say to you as a consumer, not what the consumer says to the consumer.

I often cringe when I see multiple responses from consumer to consumer suggesting and offering up information that could put DS in a liable position.  Although, that input is what makes the community, and more often than not, the information given back and forth is good and solid info.

Just realize that anyone that asks for answers should always wait before acting on it so DS can confirm or dispel it.  I'm sure it can sometimes frustrate DS when they can't get to the answer first.

Edited by EdH63 - 24 Sep 2007 at 8:56am
cyberman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote cyberman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 10:25am
Well, I haven't read these articles and wouldn't put anything into it as there is a lot of fear mongering on the internet.  If I were to believe everything I read on the internet concerning Vista, I would never have bought a system with Vista.  Alot of people out there jump to conclusions that begin to spread disinformation about a subject and it just explodes.  Alot of it deals with hating anything with windows or Bill Gates.  I am not saying that is what's happening here, but realize when anything "NEW" happens in computer technology, somebody, somewhere starts the negative campaining against it without actually knowing anything about it.

Now, as far as making the decision, whenever you look to buy the latest and greatest at the time, almost immediately something new and better comes out.  I bought a system with a 8800 Ultra card.  A week after ordering, I found out the 9 series cards are due out in novemeber.  Oh well, that happens in technoloigy.  How fast things change.  If you keep waiting for the latest and greatest, you'll never buy anything as something new comes out weekly or daily that's better than the previous.  That goes with both software and hardware.

If you want to get something, go ahead but just realize you won't be able to keep up with the changes.  Technology is exploding and you will be changing your mind daily just to hopefully get the latest.  I am sure the 8800 Ultra I have will be good for many years to come.

As far as VIsta, I got the Vista Ultimate.  I read all the fear mongering out there dispelling it.  I have XP Pro, so if I ran into something, I could redo it to dual boot if needed.  So far, I only ran into one issue.  A game needed a dx file for DX9, I found the file on the internet, dowloaded, and walla, it works.  Nothing, I mean nothing, has not refused to work yet that I found in relation to being a Vista system.  Everything I put on so far and tried has worked.  So, with that being said, if I listened to what people said are horror stories, I would not have gotten Vista.  Even the guys I work with said they would never have gotten it.  I tell them this, and they go oh, ok.  And walk away.  Alot of stuff that happens with Vista, alot of people blow it way out of porportion because they may not know how to fix it and realize it is a simple fix.

Hope I didn't confuse you more.  And no, I am not saying this to promote DS and you buying from them.

Cyber

Edited by cyberman - 25 Sep 2007 at 5:15am
DS Twister Extreme case with extra fan cooling
2.4GHZ quad Intel
22" Samsung 226BW
2GB memory
Windows Vista Ultimate
1 - 8800 Ultra
2 - 250GB disk drives
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 10:35am
Originally posted by cyberman

Well, I haven't read these articles and wouldn't put anything into it as there is a lot of fear mongering on the internet.  If I were to believe everything I read on the internet concerning Vista, I would never have bought a system with Vista.  Alot of people out there jump to conclusions that begin to spread disinformation about a subject and it just explodes.  Alot of it deals with hating anything with windows or Bill Gates.  I am not saying that is what's happening here, but realize when anything "NEW" happens in computer technology, somebody, somewhere starts the negative campaining against it without actually knowing anything about it.

Now, as far as making the decision, whenever you look to buy the latest and greatest at the time, almost immediately something new and better comes out.  I bought a system with a 8800 Ultra card.  A week after ordering, I found out the 9 series cards are due out in novemeber.  Oh well, that happens in technoloigy.  How fast things change.  If you keep waiting for the latest and greatest, you'll never buy anything as something new comes out weekly or daily that's better than the previous.  That goes with both software and hardware.

If you want to get something, go ahead but just realize you won't be able to keep up with the changes.  Technology is exploding and you will be changing your mind daily just to hopefully get the latest.  I am sure the 8800 Ultra I have will be good for many years to come.

As far as VIsta, I got the Vista Ultimate.  I read all the fear mongering out there dispelling it.  I have XP Pro, so if I ran into something, I could redo it to dual boot if needed.  So far, I only ran into one issue.  A game needed a dx file for DX9, I found the file on the internet, dowloaded, and walla, it works.  Nothing, I mean nothing, has not refused to work yet that I found in relation to being a Vista system.  Everything I put on so far and tried has worked.  So, with that being said, if I listened to what people said are horror stories, I would not have gotten Vista.  Even the guys I work with said they would never have gotten it.  I tell them this, and they go oh, ok.  And walk away.  Alot of stuff that happens with Vista, alot of people blow it way out of porportion because they may not know how to fix it and realize it is a simple fix.

Hope I didn't confuse you more.  And no, I am not saying this to promote DS and you buying from them.

Cyber

Well said, Cyberman.  People just need to take everything with a grain  of salt and research enough to make a concerted decision.  I too mentioned to our IT dept. at work that I was getting Vista and they were all worried that I was getting into something that I really shouldn't right now.

As Cyberman said, technology continues to out pace the consumer's willingness to make a quick decision sometimes, and it will boil down to personal accountability and the choice to just make a decision.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2007 at 1:29am

Direct X 10.1 is nothing to worry about. There was a article from Maximum PC about this as well. Our NVIDIA rep's have also stated Direct X 10.1 is just to speed some things up. If you are buying a new computer, you might as well get a Direct X 10 card now, who wouldn't want to play Crysis in full glory!?

About the suggestions from other board members, we keep an eye on almost every thread and if we see that anyone is receiving incorrect information we will definitely correct them with a reply. After all, our experience and knowledge come from the testing and hands-on experience with all of the desktops in the facility.

Thanks for posting about it though out ED!

Edited by Alex - 25 Sep 2007 at 1:31am
 Post Reply Post Reply