Disabling Virtual Memory?

Post Date: 2010-04-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Disabling Virtual Memory?
    Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 10:00pm
One of my friends came over today for a routine school project. He's an electronics geek like me, heh, and was wondering whether my internet was just naturally slow as it was, or whether it was my computer. I've already noticed that my HDD might not be as quick as I expeced, and he advised to see if turning off virtual memory would help. So I turned it off, and I saw a noticeable increase in loading times for all programs. Is this really a good idea? I have 6GB RAM, and my usage normally idles around ~30%. In addition, if the RAM usage ever explodes, how the heck do I turn virtual memory back on with that situation?
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 11:00pm
Discussion on virtual memory and page files used to come up in regards to SSDs. Some of the earlier SSDs had short rated life spans, and with no garbage cleaning algorithms would eventually degrade to horrible performance, so some people wanted to do everything they could to reduce writes to the SSDs.

If I remember correctly you're alright with disabling it as long as you have a decent amount of RAM, but some apps/games, mostly older ones, may throw a fit and not want to start if you have it disabled. Also I believe if you start coming close to running out of available RAM Windows will give you a warning about it and tell you to start ending programs.

I don't remember where to turn it back on, but it's in the same place you turn it off.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 1:21am
My page file has been off for years, if you have 4GB of ram and don't do anything heavy like vm or 3D editing then you can go ahead and turn page file off.

right click my computer>properties>advanced>performance>settings>advance>virtual memory>change>here disable pape file.
RiceEatin2000GT View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 1:50am
not to complain here but if your friend assumes your computer is bottlenecking internet speeds and he knows the specs of your computer and thinks its your problem he would be the last person i would take advice from.
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 7:19am
well, he thought it might be my rig because the hdd was pretty much overloaded at startup. firefox was taking a longgggg time to start.

and, i meant like, if it ever so occurs that ram usage at startup gets too high for physical ram, hypothetically, how do i get to the area to turn virtual ram on?i know where it is, but the physical ram will overload by the time i get there.
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
Exsidium View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Exsidium Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 10:24am
Safe mode. If you're using that much ram at startup you should change your startup.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 5:34pm
you have ff set to start with windows?
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 4:13pm
hm? oh no. its that when I try to open it up during startup, everything else that's starting up bogs it down.

Not using that much RAM as startup, but I'm pretty sure virtual RAM was a backup system in case software advanced so much one day after installing a new program, you didnt notice you dont have the ram to handle it. Normally, virtual RAM would kick in, but I have it disabled now, so I'm just interested in figuring out a way to switch it back on. Annnnd I'm so stupid, of COURSE safe mode would work...lol....jeeze i need to start thinking better....
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
 Post Reply Post Reply