FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Disc Error

Post Date: 2015-01-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Gamer924 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Gamer924 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Disc Error
    Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 12:03pm
While on IE, the flag icon in the system tray alerted me of a problem. I had a message that there was a disc error and windows would fix it if I restarted. What was that all about? I've had considerable instability since the windows 8.1 rollup, settings changing, programs needing to be reinstalled to work. I've had this computer for 2 1/2 years. It's running 8.1 64 bit and has a 120gb Corsair GT SSD.Could my drive be going bad? The GPU's seem OK, AMD 7970's.
forrest74 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote forrest74 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 5:49pm
Gamer924:

I searched the Internet to find a solution for you.  You were not specific as to the exact error message:  I used "disk error" and not "disk read error" ...  I found lots of solutions for WinXP and Win7, some were as simple as replacing the CMOS battery. 

But you are using Win 8.1.  I found the following article:

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/windows-8-new-disk-error-checking-feature/
====================
Here is the article, sans helpful screenshots:

If your hard drive starts acting up on your Windows system, a good place to start troubleshooting is running a Disk Error Check. Windows 8 now has and extra option included. Here’s how to use it.

Open Computer on your Windows 8 system. Right click on the drive causing problems and go to Properties.

Disk Properties opens. Click the Tools tab then click the Check Now button

Now you get two options. The first one is Scan Drive. This lets you work while the disk for errors while you continue to multitask on your system.

Then the system starts checking for disc errors.

When it’s finished, you’ll get a small generalized report…groovy!

The second is Scan and Repair that works the way it has since XP. You won’t be able to use your computer while the drive is checked for errors and they’re repaired.

Then you can schedule the scan and repair to initiate on your next restart or just go ahead and restart now.

Then as Windows 8 is restarting, it starts a scan and repair of hard drive sectors.

If I were having major issues with my hard drive I would use the second method which is tried and true. It starts checking the disc before any part of the OS is running. This would yield better results.
========

Hope this is helpful to you.  I am NOT a hardware expert, just someone who can search the Internet.

Post Reply Post Reply