FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

discontinue selling the asetek liquid coolers ..

Post Date: 2010-01-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
philiporphillip View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote philiporphillip Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: discontinue selling the asetek liquid coolers ..
    Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 10:40pm
hmm, seeing that mostly everyone here recommends either the v8 or noctua cooler, wouldn't it be better to just discontinue selling the asetek liquid coolers, Alex?

someone posts their configuration, and if the asetek is listed, it is always put-down by others for the v8 or noctua. then he/she has to call DS and, depending on what stage the pc is in, DS has to either just switch the cooler prior to testing, or switch the cooler after the original testing was done and restart the testing all over again with the new cooler (maybe a rebuilding fee?, longer wait period).
Digital Storm
haf 922
i7-920 oc'd @ 3.6 ghz (1.28v)
evga x58 le edition sli
cooler master v8
6 gb ddr3 1600 mhz mushkin
evga nvidia geforce gtx 295 co-op edition
1000w corsair hx
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 2:06am
To be honest, the Asetek unit isn't that bad. We ship a lot of systems with them. Some of our customers just plan want a low-cost liquid cooling solution, and for that we offer the choice to our customers.

If we stopped selling it, it would put us at a disadvantage for customers that would like the 240mm Asetek unit for example.

I've seen the 240mm Asetek outperform the V8 and the Noctua coolers.
sirsiddius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sirsiddius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 3:26am
Isn't the corsair h50 a Asustek clone?
I have an h50 and I can tell you its no slouch, though admittedly its strapped on my aging p4, so temps rarely top 40c.

When I start my i7 build im going to use my H50 along with 2 delta server fans tamed by a sunbeam rheobus controller, obviously I plan on overclocking the nuts off my poor 920.

Edited by sirsiddius - 26 Jan 2010 at 3:27am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 5:54am
even with the 240mm rad its not good enough for DS to offer stage 2 oc with it, which means that no matter what you are looking at stage 1 oc.

with stage 1 oc you will not notice a big difference between Noctua and asetek and Noctua will cost you less and has a proven track record.

the Noctua u14 will beat the asetek also, I wish we had that.

in short for stage 1 still its best to go with Noctua/V8 and for stage 2 oc you can't use asetek anyways so its frostchill/subzero.

Edited by DST4ME - 26 Jan 2010 at 5:55am
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 9:05am
if anyone comes to these forums and asks about cooling options, then they will know that the asetek/corsair  thing is not a good choice at all. The Noctua is a great CPU cooling system, will cool very well, last a long time, is near silent, and helps cool the RAM, and VRM's. the exact oposite can be said about the fake watercooling systems.
If you want water go for water, you want air go for air, if you half ass it, you get the worse of both worlds.
Kyu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Kyu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 11:30am
Originally posted by sirsiddius

Isn't the corsair h50 a Asustek clone?
I have an h50 and I can tell you its no slouch, though admittedly its strapped on my aging p4, so temps rarely top 40c.

When I start my i7 build im going to use my H50 along with 2 delta server fans tamed by a sunbeam rheobus controller, obviously I plan on overclocking the nuts off my poor 920.

yes the corsair h50 is asteks
and it's not all that great, it's a novice lcing kit
lol just strap on and you're set.
I have it on my HTPC (still underconstruction) the temps arn't low as I wanted it
I'm still past 50's on the i5 750.
It's a hell lot quieter than other cooling solutions for low profile hsf.
Kyu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Kyu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 11:33am
Originally posted by DST4ME

even with the 240mm rad its not good enough for DS to offer stage 2 oc with it, which means that no matter what you are looking at stage 1 oc.

with stage 1 oc you will not notice a big difference between Noctua and asetek and Noctua will cost you less and has a proven track record.

the Noctua u14 will beat the asetek also, I wish we had that.

in short for stage 1 still its best to go with Noctua/V8 and for stage 2 oc you can't use asetek anyways so its frostchill/subzero.
\

also I think Noctua is alooot quieter once you adjust the fan settings
my astek gets pretty loud, but if I set it to stay quiet, it doesnt cool as well I think.

havnt seen any 240mm+ rad + astek in works yet, But I do know ds's sister company offers it as their top cooling. so it's probably not that bad
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 12:33pm

The Asetek 240mm is not qualified for a Stage 2 CPU Boost.

It's a basic cooler. I personally recommend the Noctua myself over the two, however, it's the customers choice in the end.

We do have the 'Noctua NH-D14' in-house for testing and it is one hell of a cooler, however, we're having issues on certain setups where it will not fit due to it's sheer size.

Edited by Alex - 26 Jan 2010 at 12:34pm
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sirsiddius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 12:41pm
Seriously the h50 is not a bad cooler, sure it sucks when compared to a custom wc setup, but it holds out well against good air coolers, and when strapped with a dual fan setup and mounted correctly it can even trump the true in select circumstances.
Kyu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Kyu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by sirsiddius

Seriously the h50 is not a bad cooler, sure it sucks when compared to a custom wc setup, but it holds out well against good air coolers, and when strapped with a dual fan setup and mounted correctly it can even trump the true in select circumstances.

that's why alot of people would rather not get it or call it fake LC
cause in the LC world, it sucks compared to a good set up
in the AIR cool world, people dont find it a fair match, even with some air coolers beat it.
So... i think Asstek is just in their own world of coolers, seperated from LC and Air cool

but on non extreme systems, the H50 does fine, when i was testing my htpc on temps it was doing fine than the other 2 low profile hsf I had so I returned those and kept the h50
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 1:00pm
to each his own.. I would not touch one of these, if I had the choice I would take the stock Intel cooler over the asetek. Do it right, or don't do it all. Ouch
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sirsiddius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 1:45pm
Of course Justin, If I had a personal money tree I would also buy a mountain mod case with 4 triple rads and water blocks for my mosfet and gpu. Unfortunately I wasn't born under that lucky star so I'm stuck with my cheapo corsair which as you know costs about 3 times less than a decent wc'ed cpu setup.Ouch
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 1:53pm
the price difference here is like $40 for air, so its not a matter of money tree IMO, and that $40 is well worth it when you get to year 3 of the asetek.

the whole point of a LC is better temps, if your LC system is giving you same temps as a good air cooling, then its no different then saying I have a race car, but it does zero to 60 in 8.9 seconds and top speed is 80mph.

if you want to call that a race car you can, but bottom line is that you will never be able to prove it with performance, cause a real race car will smoke it, at best you will be next to my gf with her Camry.

which then brings up a question: if your race car is as fast my gf's Camry, does that make make her Camry a race car too?

now we are not saying that you got a bad cooler and etc, its still ok, but lets not call it LC for cheap, cause to qualify for LC system you have to have LC temps, otherwise its just a name.

Edited by DST4ME - 26 Jan 2010 at 1:58pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 2:00pm
it has nothing to do with money, I said I would take the free Intel heat sink over the asetek, I am talking about value. Noise/performance/longevity/price, the stock heatsink wins by a landslide. The Noctua is great, the sub zero liquid cooling is very hard to justify, lot of $$ for little gain.
philiporphillip View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote philiporphillip Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 2:30pm
Digital Storm
haf 922
i7-920 oc'd @ 3.6 ghz (1.28v)
evga x58 le edition sli
cooler master v8
6 gb ddr3 1600 mhz mushkin
evga nvidia geforce gtx 295 co-op edition
1000w corsair hx
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 5:53pm
lol philip, the first link is from corsair, of course in corsair's tests, their product is gonna do best.

the second link is comparing the corsair and asetek to a stock air cooler, of course asetek wins, just about anything will win against stock cooler.

put those next to Noctua u12 or better yet u14 and watch what happens.

Edited by DST4ME - 26 Jan 2010 at 5:54pm
AndydViking View Drop Down

Quote AndydViking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 7:31pm

I think once the beginners realize that the asetek has no advantage to the Noctua nh-u12p they wouldn't want it.  At first I thought "liquid cooling" sounded awesome but after comparing it to the noctua it isn't awesome.  The only advantages I can see to the asetek is easier access to RAM and prolly ships better.  The fan clips on Noctua are a slight pain in the a@# when you wanna get at something and have to remove them.

Maybe when DS is able to offer the NH-d14 they could offer advanced users the ability to ship it non-mounted to cpu. (just a thought)

Edited by AndydViking - 26 Jan 2010 at 8:54pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 8:27pm
The new Noctua can be shipped without weight being an issue.

To make it fit, we're most likely going to have to remove one of the two large fans on it. We're seeing how big of a temperature difference it makes before we give it a 'Green' light and start selling it.
AndydViking View Drop Down

Quote AndydViking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 8:59pm
Seems like these guys didn't get all that much difference at moderate overclock.  But when they went to 4.2 it made a big difference.

Sorry if this reviewer isn't the most reliable.  I haven't been around long enough to know the best review sites.
 Post Reply Post Reply