FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Do I need all of this and Why? Please evaluate

Post Date: 2008-09-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Damian View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Damian Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Do I need all of this and Why? Please evaluate
    Posted: 30 Sep 2008 at 11:25pm
Hi.  First time poster, new fan and, if things go well, a future Digital Storm customer.

My goal:  config and purchase a new gaming only system that will not only run some of the current high end graphics games in maximum settings, but be able to handle what may come down the pipe over the next 4-5 years with only perhaps adding a second video card in SLI and increasing RAM.  Currently playing AoC and WAR, but on a 6 year old pentium 4 system- barely.  I really do not want to need a rebuild in 3 or 4 years from the motherboard up.
budget of $3000
playing on a 24" widescreen flatpanel display (max resolution? 1900x1200??) and using crap speakers or headphone/mic set, but also interested in hooking up DVI and audio out to a 60" Pioneer Kuro plasma and Denon home theater system.. if it is feasible (add the blu ray option then).  Advice here would also be appreciated.

Here is where I am currently at in my thought process:

Ticket #:  189320
Chassis: Cooler Master HAF 932
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Interior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz (1333MHz FSB) (12MB Cache)
Motherboard: nVidia 790i Ultra Core 2 Quad (nForce 790i Ultra SLI) (DDR3 Only)
System Memory: 4GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair DHX (High-Performance)
Card Reader: - No Thanks
Hard Drive 1: 300GB Western Digital VelociRaptor (10K RPM) (16MB Cache) (Extreme Speed)
Hard Drive 2: - No Thanks
Raid Option: - No Thanks
Hard Drive 3: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x) (LightScribe Edition)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Wireless Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 1GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
TV Tuner: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: Air Cooled Stage 3 WindTunnel (Copper Heatpipe Heatsink & Additional Case Fans)
Internal Lighting: Blizzard Internal Lighting (Red Edition) (Cold Cathode Tubes)
Modifications: NVIDIA Enthusiast System Architecture (ESA) System (Install, Test, Optimize Computer)
Boost Processor: Yes, Overclock the processor as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: Yes, Overclock memory timings (Includes Memory Fan Kit Installed)
Tweak Windows: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (64-Bit Edition) (For Enthusiasts)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
LCD Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty

Areas of confidence (aka, dont talk me out of):
love the 10k raptor drive, have high hopes for the GTX280, may sli a second one in later on, love the Q9550 processor with overclocking. Feel the power supply adequate with room for adding second GTX280 as noted above.  Don't need the peripherals, but may need a real sound card later on to link into home theater system if I go that route.

My areas of concern (help):
RAM types and quantity
still hearing conflicting information regarding DDR2 and DDR3 systems.  If the price is not far off, and it allows for a greater chance of longevity, I am willing to go with the latter.  Obviously, it is not just the cost of the RAM, but the motherboard requirements, overclocking, cooling options, etc.
Secondly, what speed will work best with this build for overclocking.  I saw a formula somewhere, but was not sure if it is based on starting processor FSB, or does the overclock change it.  Also, saw somewhere that a DigitalStorm rep reccomended the OCZ over the Corsair for some history of problems.
In short, am I wasting money today on a DDR3 package for future insurance, or should I consider sticking with dual channel memory and later picking up the I7 and then rebuilding.
Pretty much set on going with 4GB now, doubling to 8 when needed and more affordable- if it even improves performance (see RAM and OS below).

RAM and OS
I am interested in the Vista 64 bit, but read somewhere here that only the ultimate version allowed for the higher acceptance/utilization of RAM.  Can anyone confirm this or explain it better?  The other bells and whistles of Ultimate over Home do not appeal much.

Cooling systems and control
the HAF seems to have an impressive air cooling ability; what exactly do I gain by spending money on the Stage 3 system?  quiter replacement fanblades and a copper tubing heatsync?  I really can not support the budget for the nice liquid cooling systems at this point, and I anticpate adding a second GTX280 video card if needed in the short term (at a reduced cost), but I just don't expect having to overclock them to get good results.
Is this 'air cooling' only line of thinking within reason for the above, and do I need the ESA system for this level of cooling control?  I have never overclocked anything before, or had to manage system cooling, but the option does appeal, especially if it allows for noise control and future upgrade/overclocking modifications.

So thanks in advance for any and all criticisms or recommendations.  Considering my objectives above, what is overkill, what am i overlooking, and where can I shave some to feel better about my decision?

TD
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2008 at 11:40pm
here you go Ticket# 189338 --- Price: $3210 (To see this build click here)

Copy of Specifications:
Power Supply: 860W PC Power & Cooling (ESA Edition) (Dual SLI Compatible)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz (1333MHz FSB) (12MB Cache)
System Memory: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz OCZ
Hard Drive 1: 300GB Western Digital VelociRaptor (10K RPM) (16MB Cache) (Extreme Speed)
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x) (LightScribe Edition)
Wireless Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 896MB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Extreme Cooling: Liquid Chilled FrostBite CPU Only
Internal Lighting: Blizzard Internal Lighting (Red Edition) (Cold Cathode Tubes)
Modifications: NVIDIA Enthusiast System Architecture (ESA) System (Install, Test, Optimize Computer)
Boost Processor: Yes, Overclock the processor as much as possible with complete stability
Tweak Windows: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bit Edition) (For Enthusiasts)

go with gtx 260 you won't notice teh difference, later down the road if needed you can 1 more 260 gtx that should handle anything.

vista premium will see and use 16GB of ram.

if you wanter higher OC speeds go with liquid cooling, if not go with stage 2 cooling

match your ram speed to your fsb spped.

if you gonna wait for i7 then its gona be out next month and you will basically need a new mombo for that.

esa gives you control for fans and such, it does not help your pc overclock better, if you don't like messing with settings drop the esa.

your thoughts?
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 12:19am

I really like your build Damian. You've done your homework and it shows. I agree with most of your selections, but I have some suggestions.

Your RAM selection is spot on for best overclock result vs value IMO. You're going to get excellent freedom when deciding on FSB/Memory dividers while overclocking, and with the 1600MHz RAM, should be able to support overclocking speeds up to 3.4GHz at a base clock speed 1:1 ratio, and 4.25GHz at a 5:4 ratio.  While nothing is 100% certain, and it extremely unlikely you're going to hit 4GHz, at least you'll know that your RAM isn't going to be the limiting factor.

Go 64 bit by all means, but if you don't need the business features of Vista Ultimate, you don't need more than Home Premium. Save your money. Home Premium can recognize IIRC, more RAM than your motherboard, so I'd call that a non issue.

I would:
Drop the stage 3 cooling: -$129 
Change the RAM to OCZ Platinum 1600MHz: -$20
Drop the RAM overclock and simply request the RAM cooler: -$30
Drop the ESA: -$119

savings: $298

And then:
add Liquid frostbite CPU only: +$299.

Reasons I would take this course of action:
The new build is within $1 of what you had planned to spend.
You'd get that nice liquid cooling you thought you couldn't afford.
You'll get the maximum potential from your CPU.
You'll reap the benefits of liquid cooling without making it more difficult to perform a DIY upgrade of your setup to SLI GTX280 later on.

Edited by Tyler Lowe - 01 Oct 2008 at 12:20am
Damian View Drop Down

Quote Damian Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 2:22pm
Thanks for the responses above.  The second post also will save me $80 by dropping the Vista to the home premium package.

So basically, with a motherboard FSB of 1333 being overclocked, by using RAM of 1600, it will not itself need to be overclocked, whereas if I chose the 1333 RAM, it too would have to be boosted not to be the limiting factor in multitasking processing?

For Tyler:  I did not see a pull down menu option for memory fan cooling only, sans overclocking..  is that something I could just add in a comment note while ordering?

Will I miss the ESA cooling management?  I worry about fan noise volume, and if the liquid frostbite does its job, perhaps I would not need all of the fans going at once?  I realize they are necessary to keep the remainder of the system, including the video card cool.  It just seems odd to place importance on cooling, but not require monitoring or control of that system= are the HAF fans and frostbite liquid systems that reliable that I just need to make sure the fans are spinning and the reservoir is full?  Again, I am not looking at liquid cooled overclocked video cards just yet, CPU only.

Is there anything in the system build above that would preclude me from setting it up to display on a 60" HD plasma monitor with DVI and HDMI inputs?  This display is also set up through a denon component home theater system, so wasnt sure about the motherboard factory audio output compatability.
In that same thought, would any suggest that the Cosmos S case be better suited for periodical moving of the system from room to room?  It seems all adore the HAF, and with good reason, but the aluminum and handle construction on the Cosmos seem more durable and safer for carrying.

Thanks again for your time and input: I have learned quite a bit in the last short period of time.  These forums are very helpful.

TD
Damian View Drop Down

Quote Damian Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 2:26pm
Sorry, forgot to add-

here is the new Ticket Number with the modifications    189376

TD
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 2:36pm
Damian, with my config, you get a faster pc with higher OC, and also my way your ram OC is under warranty.

cosmos s was my favorite case here but it has some issues I didnot want to deal with, for example the touch power sensor has had issues of not working anymore.

keep in mind you are paying more for a ram that if your cpu is not oced or if oc is ff then the what ever speed over the fsb you has is a waste and not used.

the fan for the ram you need to ask for over the phone.

fans can run as low rpm making less noise.

the 790i has a 7.1 audio.

good luck.
Damian View Drop Down

Quote Damian Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 3:21pm
DST4ME-  thanks for the input..  I need a little clarification (read this several times, but didn't make sense of it)
Also, am not ignoring the info about the vid card, just trying to hammer out more basic selections first. 

"keep in mind you are paying more for a ram that if your cpu is not oced or if oc is ff then the what ever speed over the fsb you has is a waste and not used."

can you say it again?

Also, reading about overclocking in general now; hearing good and bad; presumably if Digital Storm does the initial overclocking, and covers their own work under the warranty, seems like a reasonable deal for a gaming only system.

I read a post here about typical overclocking results in the 200Mhz range.  Wondered for cost/benefit and risk ratio, if simply choosing the next tier processor (Q9650), dropping the RAM seed to 1333, forgetting overclocking alltogether, and thus the real need for added cooling with its associated cost, would provide an equally speedy system with better long term hardware survivability.
see build here:

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=189583

Thanks

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 3:37pm
OK let me see if I can clarify:

currently the limit of how fast of a ram you can use on your system, depends on the speed of your CPU's FSB.

so if you got the q9550 and it has an FSB of 1333MHz the max ram speed you can use is 1333MHz.

now when you overclock a CPU you raise its FSB so lets say you OC a q9550 to a 1600MHz FSB instead of its stock FSB which is 1333MHz. SO if in over clock now your FSB is 1600MHz then you can use ram of 1600MHz.

you getting a q9550 which has a FSB of 1333MHz, with a ram that is 1600MHz, this means that when not over clocked your ram is not using all of its 1600MHz speed, it can only use 1333MHz.

does that make sense?

if you OC the CPU you need to OC the ram too, in other to achieve highest OC speed. the Idea is that you get a slower ram and CPU and then for much less then it would cost you to upgrade the hardware, you OC and get the same results as upgraded hardware (faster CPU and ram). In short pay for a q9650 and get close to what a qx9650 or a qx9770 could do in speed.

now others will disagree and start doing the math that I already know and yes on paper a q9550 with 1600MHz ram should over clock higher then a q9650 with 1333MHz ram.

but I'm betting in real life you will see the q9650 with the 1333 ram will have higher more stable speeds. also when not oced, my system does not have a ram that you paid for and not using its full speed.

you can't get the cooling and OC speed/stability with fan that you can get from liquid cooling. everybody also needs to understand by liquid cooling your CPU, you get better cooling for your GPU, which is always one of the hotter things in your system.

my thoughts on your build are the same I had at the beginning for you, the original build I have up there for you is a winner and one you wont' regret, you will never wonder "what if" and it can handle lots. I also gave you enough of a PSU to handle adding a second card down the road if you want to.

You see I already knew all the stuff TL said before I made my recommendation, so for me and what I think will make you and keep you happy for a a long while, hasn't change.

for your needs and your price point, its the best system IMO, I always put myself in the customers shoes and I then see if I were you, what would I buy, knowing what I know. So my recommendation is exactly what I would buy if I actually were you. well once exception, I would get the 5 year warranty

any questions ask away.

Edited by DST4ME - 01 Oct 2008 at 3:38pm
Damian View Drop Down

Quote Damian Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 4:11pm
Alright, I understand the RAM and FSB relationship; it just was muddled with overclocking.. I was trying to sort out if just overclocking the CPU and using a non-OC RAM would provide similar, but safer results.

So with what we have now (yes, I'm hanging onto the GX280 at the moment):
http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=189597

Is the Q9650 worth the $240 increase over the 9550?  I may not appreciate it now, but will I in 4 years?  I don't need the fastest thing alive, I just want to enjoy what I have and not be crippled by my CPU within 5 years.

Give me some insight about the ESA; helpful?  fun and showy?
 If I skip this, I would just go with the next bump in power supply (1k) that is not ESA compliant (as it wouldnt need to be)
I do see with the liquid cooled CPU that the cooling effect of the fans can primarily focus on the GPU, and if I go with an overclocked system, I will add the liquid cooling.

Is the 860W power supply adequate for a pair of GTX280s in SLI?  Your reccs were about the 260..

Copy of Specifications:
Power Supply: 860W PC Power & Cooling (ESA Edition) (Dual SLI Compatible)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz (1333MHz FSB) (12MB Cache)
System Memory: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz OCZ
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 1GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Extreme Cooling: Liquid Chilled FrostBite CPU Only
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bit Edition) (For Enthusiasts)

DST4ME..  thanks for your input; I was wondering as well, are you independent, employed by DS?  It is always good to know where someone is coming from.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 4:52pm
I'm just a customer like you boss, except I'm waiting for the new chip line to come out to get my system from DS, I have no affiliation with DS, and I'm only here to help people who don't know what I know but could benefit from it.

I think the 860 should be OK for the 2 x 280 GTX.

if you are not going to upgrade your CPU at all for the next 5 years then wait till next month, when the new chip comes out the prices will drop and you can make your decision then. If not I say yes the q9650 is worth it to me. you have to see if its worth it to you. I think you will get higher stable numbers with the q9650.

ESA is great if you like to be on top of controls and mess around, if you are not the type to mess around with settings then leave esa alone, but if you are into it, then you should like it, atleast others that enjoy messing around with things say they like it.

be-careful with PSU, higher you go louder they get

I like this system you got, I would buy it.

Edited by DST4ME - 01 Oct 2008 at 4:53pm
Damian View Drop Down

Quote Damian Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 5:25pm
DS- I was coming to a similar conclusion (nehalem) the further I read, and the more I went beyond my initial planned budget.  We eventually need 2 computer systems for gaming, so for now, maybe I will start a thread on building the secondary, less demanding system, and look to do my own in the next several months.
Do you expect Digital Storm to be offering builds based of the I7 in November?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 5:45pm
Well the thing is that it will be announced in nov, but when will it hit the shelves and DS, I'm not sure.

Alex probably would have a better answer for that, but I'm pretty sure that before the end of the year DS will have them.
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2008 at 12:21am

Damian,

ESA is really of more interest to hardcore overclockers than it is to the average user. I would suggest ESA to someone that has more fun messing with their BIOS than playing games on their system, or for some one that isn't maybe that fanatical, but really enjoys tweaking every last nuance of their system to coax every 3DMark point from it they can. It's not something I would ever suggest to a normal user. 

860W is on the low end of what Nvidia recommends for SLI GTX280. I would strongly suggest staying with a 1000W PSU considering your future plans. PSU's do degrade over time and continue to lose output capability. Having a little extra output rating isn't a bad thing at all. Corasir makes a hell of a PSU, you'll be very pleased with the 1000HX.

Selecting higher RAM speed is not going to make your system less stable.

What it does do is to aid in overclocking the CPU. Higher binned RAM can also be downclocked and it's timings tightened to reduce latency. This is something that can be done as part of a memory overclock if you prefer not to overclock the CPU.
 Post Reply Post Reply