FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Do I need to upgrade CPU for Dying Light 2?

Post Date: 2022-01-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Zerocool83 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zerocool83 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Do I need to upgrade CPU for Dying Light 2?
    Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 10:28am
Hey guys, I'm pretty computer illiterate, but I like to have a semi-decent PC set up for gaming.  I've got an old Vanquish 4 I purchased from DS back in December of 2015.  It worked amazing for the Witcher 3 and then when Cyberpunk 2077 came out, I got some advice from the helpful people on this forum and was able to upgrade to 16 GB of RAM and upgrade my graphics card, so that I was able to play that game very smoothly as well.  Now with Dying Light 2 coming out, I'm worried that my CPU might finally be too old to run a new game.  I'd love to be able to play it in 1080p with 60 fps (No Ray Tracing), but I looked at the specs and they're as follows:
Performance Full HD at 60fps
QualityHigh
Operating systemWindows 10
Processor (AMD)Ryzen 5 3600X
Processor (Intel)Intel Core i5-8600K
Memory16GB
Graphics card (AMD) RX Vega 56 8GB
Graphics card (Nvidia)Nvidia RTX 2060 6GB
Hard-drive space60GB

Here are my current PC specs including the upgraded RAM and GPU:

VANQUISH 4 - Level 3
Processor: Intel Core i5 6600K 3.5GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS/GIGABYTE (Intel Z170 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Crucial
Power Supply: 750W EVGA/Corsair
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (250GB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x (1TB Seagate (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache)
Graphics Card(s): 1x ROG Strix NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6GB
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: High Performance Cooler with Large Fan and Copper Pipes
CPU Boost: Overclock CPU 4.4GHz (Extreme Performance)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)

I've got enough Ram and I think my graphics card is probably up to snuff, but I'm worried that this game may need a more modern CPU to run it at all smoothly.  Does anyone have an idea whether my CPU will be good enough?  If not, does that mean I'll need to replace my CPU and motherboard?  As a computer illiterate person, it was honestly really scary just replacing my RAM and my graphics card.  I don't think I have the confidence to do the CPU and motherboard. I think that would essentially mean doing a complete computer re-build. That's way out of my league.  Any help or advice ya'll can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 3:09am
I think you'll be able to manage it. The key is your expectations aren't over the top. Happily, you exceed minimum requirements by a pretty wide margin, and you are right close to what's recommended.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-6600K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3600X/3503vs4041

That difference isn't significant.

And there's this:

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1660S-Super-vs-AMD-RX-Vega-56/4056vs3938

Statistically, that's not a difference.

According to the min/recommended parameters, you should be able to maintain close to 60 frames with some minor variations on higher settiings. If not, dial a setting or two back a notch. You're at the threshold, but you won't likely notice the game faltering, and it's definitely playable.

My personal rule of thumb for gaming is that when it comes time that the CPU doesn't cut it, it's time for a new system. It's just too much work and too expensive to marry a new proc and mobo with older parts that may fail on you. I don't think you're there quite yet. Just try the game out for a lot fewer bucks than a new system and see what you think.

The replacement now for a Vanquish is the Lynx, and the deals are pretty strong these days. They now have NVMe storage running off the PCIe bus instead of SATA. That's a game-changer that makes your primary drive run about 8 times faster than a SATA SSD. I'd like to think you'd be in the market for one of those around Fall this year when the GPUs may be stronger and cheaper.

Bottom line, just get the game and see how it goes!   
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 8:52am
Hi and welcome back.

I agree with Cretae. Get the game and play it with what you have. If anything you could get a better gpu but ....you should be good until the next generation of gpus come out.
Enjoy your system.
Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply