Do I really need a sound card?

Post Date: 2010-03-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Do I really need a sound card?
    Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 9:26pm
I heard that since a dedicated sound card processes sound apart from the CPU, it takes some load off the CPU and makes it perform better, sorta like what a Killer Xeno Pro claims to do (I've yet to see that in my computer.... Anyways, my current CPU is a i7 920 with a overclock to 3.33 (Credit Goes To DS! Thumbs%20Down) Normal usage, like me typing now, is usually minimal, around 3%. While gaming though, I have no clue, have yet to  properly check that... But, would adding any sort of sound card theoretically give me any sort of boost over mobo based sound?

So far, these are the only two models I can get my hands on...

1. Creative Labs - Sound Blaster Audigy SE - PCI Based
2. Creative Labs - X-Fi Surround Sound 5.1 - USB Based

If these are too crappy, (USB sound card, wtf? and I don't think the audigy SE is that high grade), then I can wait to get something better, but I'm just wondering if adding a dedicated sound card really does anything.
(Been ordering too much tech gear online now, can't really afford to do it online for a while, don't ask Smile)
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 4:59am
the days of the cpu getting help from a network card or sound card are gone, todays cpus are too powerful, but if you want sound quality then you want a sound card.
<8) slunK parade View Drop Down

Quote <8) slunK parade Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 7:14am
waste of money imo
onboard sound is usually fine
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 9:11am
matters the speakers, crap speakerss, use on-board, good speakers use good sound card. simple.
Psimon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psimon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 9:58am
I'm still seeking recommendations for a sound board - one that works under Windows 7 64-bit, with updated drivers, and decent customer support. I've avoided any Creative Labs products but might have to reevaluate that.

Every board I've looked at, including those that DS sells, seem to have issues.  
CM HAF 932*EVGA X58 3X SLI* i7920 4.0Ghz OC*6GB Mushkin RAM*EVGA Titan Sprclked*Samsung 850 Pro 1TB*Logitech Z5500*Razer Death Adder*Corsair 1000HX PSU*LG 34UM95 Monitor*Windows7Ult64
Uruvsuurt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Uruvsuurt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 12:44pm
Overall, I like my creative sound card, but it was a luxury item though.  With a solid headset, I think you can get good quality sound from the external usb soundcards  that are out there. 

I would recommend the steelseries Siberia USB card.  Its small, not many bells and whistles, but under $40 and has a good interface software, plus its easy to set up.

I can tell the difference between external cards and the creative internal sound card, but I think for the average user/gamer, a good headset and the external card I mentioned above is a win win in terms of bang for the buck.

I can't really comment on speaker systems, as I just use a headset at home.  My wife has no interest in listening to my metal music so......I get to use headsets.
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 2:32pm
Hmm, well, maybe I should just forget about the sound card. I bought a Logitech 2.1 system along with my rig, I'm betting it fits into the crap speaker range xD Takes a standard jack, and the subwoofer honestly feels sorta papery Smile
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
Uruvsuurt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Uruvsuurt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 2:38pm
If you still wanted more than on board sound, that Creative X-fi 5.1 system you listed is not bad from what I read.  Its like 60 beans usually, but I have seen sales for it closer to $40.  The main gripe is about the drivers, but that seems to be the main gripe of everyone that is negative on creative on any product.

police215 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote police215 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 9:56pm
Justin is right!!! if you truely care about the sound and want the fexilbility in tuning (EQ settings) then get a sound card.

Huge difference in gaming and listening to music

Post Reply Post Reply