FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Does Acrylic Tubing Make Upgrades Difficult?

Post Date: 2018-07-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
FullFrontalCA View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote FullFrontalCA Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Does Acrylic Tubing Make Upgrades Difficult?
    Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 11:30am
I'm thinking of upgrading my desktop sometime this year when Nvidia's new GPUs come out, but I have Digital Storm's HydroLux Pro system of water cooling which uses hard acrylic tubing instead of the normal flexible tubing.  Will this make upgrading difficult/impossible or do GPUs typically follow a universal size standard in order to be compatible with most systems (IE: Will a new GPU still fit exactly where it needs to even when I can't move around my water cooling system)?

I currently have an Nvidia GTX 1080 btw.  I've never performed an upgrade on a system with water cooling, much less inflexible acrylic tubing.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 12:28pm
Doubtful a new generation card will match up so that you don’t have to reroute the hardline. It’s also unlikely an Asus will fit an MSI, for example or a reference card block fits or matches up to a custom multifan type card.   It’s possoble and no way to speculate on future releases, but unlikely.

Hardline has no flexibility and needs an exact fit, plus hardline does not come with quick disconnects like flex.

Swapping cards to existing plumbing can be done but just might need new tubing and possibly fitting or two .    

Edited by bprat22 - 28 Jul 2018 at 12:29pm
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 1:33am
Like bprat22 stated, the hardline has to match perfectly and it is not an easy task to install, even with fittings. Ideally it should be bent.
Having a GTX 1080 I wouldn't worry about upgrading for another number of years. That card is very strong.
What system do you have that Hydrolux on? I am curious by nature. Big%20Smile
FullFrontalCA View Drop Down

Quote FullFrontalCA Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 9:55am
It's a Hailstorm II.  I appreciate the replies, and hopefully whatever high-end card comes next will have a similar form factor to the 1080.  I'd like to be able to comfortably game at 4K, and if Nvidia's next cards can pull that off then I'm thinking of upgrading.  I probably should have thought about the hassles of hard tubing before I bought the system, hopefully it will be as simple as transferring the cooling block to a stripped-down GPU in the future.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 1:53am
Good luck and do keep us posted.  That is a nice system and not offered now. You must have ordered one of the last ones.Enjoy. Big%20Smile
waipowrectdeapr1976 View Drop Down

Quote waipowrectdeapr1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 10:16pm
It will be hard for sure.
If you have a friend that's good with DIY or he's a craftsman, they might be able to give you some ideas about how to do things.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 2:01am
I know you will want to keep the hardline but you can add the cards (like bprat22 stated, highly unlikely that they will line up with existing plumbing/hardline) with soft tubing or just go with air on the cards and close the hardline loop.Good luck and keep us posted.
 Post Reply Post Reply