Post Date: 2012-12-01

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MICHAEL2A View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MICHAEL2A Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Does DS use oem OS software?
    Posted: 01 Dec 2012 at 7:10pm
Hey all, the new build is done! I have a question though concerning the Vista operating system that came with my DS PC. The way I understand OEMs is it will recognize only the hardware it was originally loaded on which means I can't put it on my new rig as a secondary OS. I have some questions below concerning this;

1)Does DS use all OEM software on its systems? (If yes, see below)

2)Is there a way to use my (DS supplied) Vista OS as a secondary OS on a new system?

I plan on doing a clean install of Windows 7 on a separate SSD and then install two HDDs with one having Vista on it. I plan on having one set to "auto" in the bios and one set to "none". This should allow me to use a primary and switch back to the secondary using the bios when needed.

Also, does anyone know if the SSD will direct link to the introduced HDDs (after a restart) and use the currently installed programs already on the HDDs or will I have to do individual program re-installs?
NZXT Switch 810
Asus Rampage V ED10
16GB Corsair Platinum 3000mhz
i-7 X5960, 3.0Ghz-3.5Ghz
Intel 750 800GB NVME-SSD
Corsair H115i CPU Cooler
2 Asus Strix 1080 8GB SLI
Corsair AXi 1200 PSU
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2012 at 8:31pm
1. I can't say for sure that it uses all OEM software, but when I recieved my machine, yes it was all OEM.

2. Yes, I've never had the issue you've spoken of. I've used the same Vista disk on multiple machines with no issue. But perhaps I am not fully understanding your question.

You'll have to make shortcuts to the HDD programs, but if you are running them off the HDDs then no re-install should be needed
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 11:06am
Us and all other system builders use OEM versions of Windows which are designed for system builds instead of retail consumer off the shelf installations.

The supplied Windows disc is the same as a retail version, you will get the installation CD.

The only issue is, and this is when all Window's versions such as 7, etc... you can only have it installed on one computer at a time with a activated product key.
MICHAEL2A View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MICHAEL2A Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Alex

Us and all other system builders use OEM versions of Windows which are designed for system builds instead of retail consumer off the shelf installations.

The supplied Windows disc is the same as a retail version, you will get the installation CD.

The only issue is, and this is when all Window's versions such as 7, etc... you can only have it installed on one computer at a time with a activated product key.

Okay, so if I understand you correctly I would have to uninstall while in my old rig and re-install on the new rig? Would the product key still work or would I need to get a new product key from Microsoft?
NZXT Switch 810
Asus Rampage V ED10
i-7 X5960, 3.0Ghz-3.5Ghz
Intel 750 800GB NVME-SSD
Corsair H115i CPU Cooler
Corsair AXi 1200 PSU
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 6:05pm
The key here is one copy of WIndows is a license and it's meant for one computer. OEM and retail are the same operating system, just the licsensing is different. For an OEM product, it's meant to be used only with that computer. That includes upgrades, etc... however you are not supposed to transfer that licensee from that computer to a different computer.

Retail copies of Window's technically allow a user to transfer his licensee to a different computer.

I hope this helps explain the processor.
MICHAEL2A View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MICHAEL2A Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 1:08pm

The key here is one copy of WIndows is a license and it's meant for one computer. OEM and retail are the same operating system, just the licsensing is different. For an OEM product, it's meant to be used only with that computer. That includes upgrades, etc... however you are not supposed to transfer that licensee from that computer to a different computer.

Retail copies of Window's technically allow a user to transfer his licensee to a different computer.

I hope this helps explain the processor.

Thanks Alex, I believe I understand what you are saying.

What I would like to do is take the HDD out of the old PC with Vista already on it and install the HDD in the new PC. My primary OS will be on the SSD (Windows 7) and I would use Vista as a secondary OS for programs that my not run well with Windows 7. So, if I transfer that HDD with Vista on it to the new PC will it run or will it hit a roadblock due to the new hardware? If the answer is no or it will cause technical issues I can't resolve, then I will leave it out of the new rig.
NZXT Switch 810
Asus Rampage V ED10
i-7 X5960, 3.0Ghz-3.5Ghz
Intel 750 800GB NVME-SSD
Corsair H115i CPU Cooler
Corsair AXi 1200 PSU
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 1:25pm
I believe it would work, but, it would be best and easiest to get a new licensee with your purchase.
MICHAEL2A View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MICHAEL2A Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 1:29pm

I believe it would work, but, it would be best and easiest to get a new licensee with your purchase.

Thanks Alex!
NZXT Switch 810
Asus Rampage V ED10
i-7 X5960, 3.0Ghz-3.5Ghz
Intel 750 800GB NVME-SSD
Corsair H115i CPU Cooler
Corsair AXi 1200 PSU
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group