FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Don't know how to install a 2.5 ssd

Post Date: 2020-10-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BruhBuhBruh View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BruhBuhBruh Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Don't know how to install a 2.5 ssd
    Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 6:42pm
Hey everyone. I semi-recently god a level 4 lynx and wanted to ad a 1tb 2.5 ssd to it. The problem is, I have no idea how to install one. I've already looked online for tutorials and such, but I still am quite clueless on what to get. what length of cables do i need? what cables do i need? do i need an adapter? any help would be appreciated. thanks.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 4:02am
You don't have to go it alone, you know. A DS computer comes with Lifetime tech support which extends to helping you install upgrades, if you want.

There are two first steps you can take. One, your board will take a single M.2 form factor NVMe SSD. 5 times faster than a SATA SSD, it plugs into a slot on the front of your motherboard, and requires no cabling at all. You could look into those and see if you would want one. Should be pretty obvious where that slot is, or just look at your mobo info.

Two, some motherboards come with an indent or two, or some other convenient way to mount a 2.5" SSD right to the back of the board. Take the back off your case and take a look. While you are back there, look around for some free plugs just like the ones that already attach to your drives. You will need a free power plug and a SATA cable. The power plug should be bundled up with the cabling you will find behind the mobo. You may have to snip a cable tie or two to free one. IDK if you will find an extra free SATA cable or not. if not, look in the parts box they sent, and if you don't have an extra, you will have to buy one. It will plug into the front of the motherboard next to the two that are already there from the drives you have, and then into the drive you bought.

You can just take a look back there, but if you want to touch and move some things around inside your case, it's a good idea to unplug it from the wall and then press the power-on button for about 5 seconds to discharge the capacitors. Touch metal on the case to ground yourself, and then you're good.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 1:17pm
Hi,

Look at the motherboard (mobo) manual that came with the system to find the M.2 slots and note that not all M.2s are Nvme, some are also SATA. As to the 2.5 SSDs, you can open the back of the case and find the indents Cretae posted about (not behind the mobo, no room). Some are found opposite where the mobo sits but not always. If your case has HDD drive bays, you can get an adapter for the 2.5 to fit into it. Usually they are pre-wired. The wires will be found already in the HDD bays or close to the psu.
Good luck.

And yes, I don't worry much about static elec down here in muggy S Fl ( I walk barefoot and no carpet so I am always grounded) but you have to make sure you discharge yourself before touching anything in there. Touch the case or better yet get a wrist strap if where you live it's really dry,
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 4:31am
When he says not all M.2s are NVMe, he means the pocket-comb sized drives, not the slots themselves. If you put an NVMe SSD in there, it will run off the PCIe bus automatically.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 8:08am
On the second M.2 slot, if you have a card in the corresponding Pcie slot, the speed will decrease.

Edited by hoserator - 25 Oct 2020 at 8:11am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 5:48pm
hose, the Lynx boards have only one M.2 slot, but that's interesting and good to know. By how much?
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 1:56am
@Cretae: you really have to look at your mobo's manual to see how it is all routed.  The M.2_2's pathway isn't straightforward if its Pcie slot is occupied (it disables 2 SATA ports to maintain bandwith). If all SATA ports are occupied then the M.2_2 will go to x2.

Maybe, Crazy Confused

Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply