Post Date: 2008-09-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
skrandhawa View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote skrandhawa Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Dool loop cooling
    Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 8:20pm
When selecting this customization for your videocards and CPU there is an option for this. Is Dual Loop really worth it? Like say if you bought the best computer from digital storm, with dual loop cooling for 3 GTX 280's and  Core™ 2 Extreme QX9770 but then found out that cryisis stll lags on 2560x1200 Very High, 16xAA Cry
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 8:30pm
I guess for a setup like that it would be worth it.
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 9:18pm
What does cooling have to do with performance? Crysis is just a terrible game -.-
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 11:28pm

At that rez, if you set 16xAA and run Crysis at Very High, your GPU's are going to crawl out of your case and smack you with the cooling lines.LOL

Seriously though, yes, dual loop cooling is worth it in a system with an overclocked quad and a hot running graphics card. What you are trying to avoid, is reaching a point where your radiator cannot wick enough heat from your system, and the liquid used to cool the system continues to rise in temperature. Air cooled setups are more prone to this, but it can happen to liquid also. My advice for anyone that is going to overclock and liquid cool, is either put your graphics cards on a second loop, or just liquid cool the CPU only. I would *love* to see a cooling option that combined upgraded case fans with cpu only liquid cooling, but this sort of setup can always be requested if dual loop cooling places the overall price of the system of your dreams out of your comfort range.

Edited by Tyler Lowe - 04 Sep 2008 at 11:30pm
Axel Daemon View Drop Down

Quote Axel Daemon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2008 at 12:18am
After much thought... screw it I'm just gonna go and request an upgrade on the case fans for faster ones and/or LED light effects on them for aesthetic sake and extra insurance of overkill air cooling (as well as cooling the radiator to avoid the possible problem Tyler said lol) . 

I got headphones so potentially I wouldn't be bothered by the computer lol.

And this is why you put Crysis on window mode at 1920 res if you're gonna go max out settings on a 30" monitor ahaha.  (Actually wait.. when reviews bring up the results of Crysis being maxed out, this is maxing it out with no AA right?)

Edited by Axel Daemon - 05 Sep 2008 at 12:24am
"People believe in people who believe in others."

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2008 at 12:22am
That can't hurt Axel, but the radiators are exposed to the room's air, which one of the advantages liquid cooling has. The improved case fans will still help your motherboard, system RAM, and GPU RAM stay cooler, so it isn't a terrible idea.Smile

Yes, the reviews of Crysis at Very high are without AA and AF. The visual impact of running AA is much less at higher resolutions, but there is still a difference that someone observant will notice instantly. Just as with audio and sensitive ears, some people are simply very in tune with what they see.

Edited by Tyler Lowe - 05 Sep 2008 at 12:26am

Quote Axel Daemon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2008 at 12:25am
Besides from tweakguides.com  You only need high AA when you're on a res of 1280 and so on right?  By 1920 and especially by 2560  you don't even need AA, probably 2xAA at the most right?  Visually speaking AA will have no visual effect at very high res levels technically?

Edited by Axel Daemon - 05 Sep 2008 at 12:25am

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2008 at 12:28am
At 2560x1600 I would say the visual impact of not running AA is far less than the performance hit (which will definitely impact visuals in a very significant way) from running with AA. AA is much more crucial on small screens. I often run without it, depending on the game, even at 1680x1050.

Edited by Tyler Lowe - 05 Sep 2008 at 12:28am

Quote Axel Daemon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2008 at 12:34am
And taking into consideration that alot of the reviews for the sake of "maxing everything out."  Still have 8x-16x AA activated even for the 1920 and up portions of their FPS graphs.

Once you start cranking up the AA, your game performance is gonna be affected regardless of the resolution right?  With that in mind,  I can imagine those FPS marks for games at 1920 and up (minus Crysis) will be even higher if you turn off AA ahahaha.

Edit: Anisotropic filtering isn't as taxing on the system as AA is right?

Edited by Axel Daemon - 05 Sep 2008 at 12:37am

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2008 at 12:38am
Correct on all counts.
TomD View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote TomD Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2008 at 12:46am

Quote Axel Daemon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2008 at 3:16am
-scratches head- Oh that article?  No way nuh-uh, that article (not to sound blunt and harsh here.) is worthless, until they do the smart thing here and get a better processor and overclock it lol.

On the other hand though I can see how AA does affect the FPS, especially on the higher resolutions.  (Though at the most it's -10 FPS less... even then I personally don't see that article being a very good insight without getting rid of that CPU bottleneck.)

Edited by Axel Daemon - 05 Sep 2008 at 3:17am

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2008 at 3:57am

The framerates are lower as the resolutions increase. I don't think a faster CPU is going to change the results of that test. If your FPS is dropping as the resolution increases, that makes me think the result is GPU bound. If the FPS was staying the same as they increased the resolutions, or added in AA, I would be inclined to agree with the people commenting on the article and the "poor" choice of CPU. The results at 1280x1024 are almost certainly CPU bound, but let's be serious here. Who installs a pair of GTX200 series GPU's to game at 1280x1024? Wink

Edited by Tyler Lowe - 05 Sep 2008 at 4:01am

Quote Axel Daemon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2008 at 4:01am
I see... still it's rather odd to see the 8800 actually top first in one of the results though lol.
TomD View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote TomD Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2008 at 11:37am
Axel wrote:

I see... still it's rather odd to see the 8800 actually top first in one of the results though lol

I found that very odd as well. That was the top of the line card as the game was developed. My only guess is that they focused on optimizing the engine for that card during development. Hard to say what is really going on.

Post Reply Post Reply