Dragon Naturally Speaking

Post Date: 2024-02-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
smfcpa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote smfcpa Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Dragon Naturally Speaking
    Posted: 04 Feb 2024 at 3:10pm
Dragon Naturally Speaking

Does anyone here use the program?

In 1980 I went to a movie called “Being There”. There was a scene in the movie where a very rich guy was talking and there was a computer screen nearby that was showing his conversation as he was talking. I thought to myself, wouldn’t that be an efficient way to input speech in an application. So I looked into it but I don’t think there was a commercial program that could do that. Sometime after that I learned about Dragon Naturally Speaking and I began to use it, more as a lark.

A few years later I broke my little finger on my left hand (I am left-handed) playing volleyball and had a cast which made it very difficult to type, so I decided to get serious about using Dragon.

I bought a really good microphone and had an external card to plug the mike into to reduce the internal electrical interference generated by the computer internals. I upgraded Dragon as new “improved” versions became available. For it to work efficiently (display your words quickly to make corrections), you need a powerful computer.

I got pretty damn good at using it. I even showed a class of mine that I could construct an Excel spreadsheet without touching the keyboard or mouse. It was a stretch however.

Anyway somewhere along the line I quit using it and want to restart using it. I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion as to a good microphone as my old microphone doesn’t work.
Steve Foulks
Upper Peninsula of Michigan
 Post Reply Post Reply