FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Drain and Flush BOLT X Coolant?

Post Date: 2019-06-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Hutch View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Hutch Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Drain and Flush BOLT X Coolant?
    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 10:26am
I just purchased a pre-owned Bolt X and although it has been very lightly used, I want to drain and flush the system before filling it with new (different color) coolant fluid.

The DS video on how to add fluid to Hydro Lux systems is great, but doesn't say anything about how to do a drain and flush.

I know the BOLT X fluid reservoir is at the top with the fill cap on the front side, so the system has to be put on its rear side to fill.

But given the lack of any drain tap, is it safe (albeit messy) to open the fill cap then tip the system over to let the fluid drain out? In doing so, will the fluid in the lines down by the pump and GPU also drain? Do you think it would be sufficient to drain, fill with distilled water, and drain again multiple times before finally filling with new fluid? Perhaps cycling the unit on for a few seconds each time?

Sorry if this is obvious but this is new to me. Thanks!
Bolt X (aka "Stormy")
i7-8700K 32Gb DDR4 RAM
ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I
980 Pro 1Tb SSD NVME
4TB EVO 870
GeForce GTX 1080i
HydroLux CPU/GPU
EKWG Res/Pump
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 10:48am
Sorry this is still pending. Don't know how to drain that system. Probably the way you have figured.

I have found that the following is a must for turning the pump and fans on and off and not the whole system. (easier than the paper clip trick) This lets you add and drain coolant/distilled water as needed. 
BTW, you can flip your pc slowly a little on its side while on to get the gpu bubbles out. I did it for mine repeatedly until all the air was out.
 Post Reply Post Reply