Post Reply Post Reply
Page  123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MADMAX View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MADMAX Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Dreadnought: MADMAX'S RIG HAS ARRIVED!
    Posted: 12 Oct 2009 at 5:40pm
From California to New York City in a cardboard box! Was I a little anxious you may ask...just a leetle.
From the time DS received my payment till today was 32 days...about as long as expected with all the work DS has on their hands. IT WAS WORTH THE WAIT!
Fed-Ex announced their arrival with a loud thump on the other side of my front door.Sleepy After giving the Fed-Ex guy the hairy eyeball and few choice adjectives...I proceeded to carry this huge cardboard box into the living room. Luckily this box had a couple of sturdy handles which made the move fairly easy...except for the almost 55 pounds that it weighed.

And so without further adieu we start our adventure into the realm of a new computer and all that entails...I think I will tell this tale with a few photos....

OF COURSE...WE START WITH THE OBLIGATORY PHOTO OF THE SHIPPING CONTAINER...IN THIS CASE A HEAVY DUTY CARDBOARD BOX

This is the most sturdy and solid cardboard box I have ever seen,,,I found that out while trying to wrestle it up into the attic. Regardless of Fed-Ex's handling the box was pristine in its condition with no tears or dents or any damage to it at all.

NEXT I OPEN THE BOX TO REVEAL...MORE BOXES....

It's like Christmas right about now..
In those two boxes were the DS binder with software and documents and wires and computer parts.

NEXT I SEE SOME HEAVY DUTY FOAM PADDING ON TOP OF THE COMPUTER...

The box was heavily padded both on top and the bottom of the tower with the same padding providing protection on the sides also. And the padding was tucked in there pretty tight.

THE TOWER IS REMOVED....AND DISPLAYED IN ALL IT'S NAKED GLORY...

This thing is huge....weighs a ton and is a solid as a Mack truck. I checked all around for any signs of damage or dents and again the tower on the outside was absolutely perfect.
I then proceeded to slowly unfasten the side cover to inspect the interior. The first thing you see is the custom padding as soon as the cover comes off...

It was in there snug but not so tight as to be difficult in removing it.

The next thing that I noticed was the side fan wire was disconnected from the power source...

...easily remedied by connecting the wires..took about 2 seconds...

Now up until this point everything was going fairly smooth...and it was here that I now got a little apprehensive because of the discussions I had with some of you in the forums concerning shipping the graphics cards installed along with the water blocks and the liquid cooling plumbing etc.
Well I'd needn't have given it a second thought. This rig was obviously packed by a professional and the foam padding was placed exactly where it needed to be and kept everything stable as can be.

AND SO AFTER REMOVING THE PADDING WE HAVE THIS...

I took a bottle of Air Duster and gave the interior of the case a good cleaning...then I checked for any loose fittings or wires and any leaks...everything looked and felt perfect. Those video cards are in their solid and with no play at all. Those quick release valves will come in handy I'm sure and they look pretty sharp to boot.

ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE CASE WE CAN SEE A MOST PROFESSIONAL JOB OF WIRE MANAGEMENT...

...although you may have to tilt your head to the right to get the correct view since I forgot to rotate the pictureBig%20smile

While breaking down my other rig and getting ready to hook up this new one I took the opportunity to do a little comparison...

...not much of a size difference physically....but technically..this DS rig is light years ahead of my old tower.Embarrassed

AND SO HERE IS MY OLD SETUP...A PENTIUM 4 CHIP AT 3.0...2 GIGS OF RAM...GS 7800 GRAPHICS CARD...22 INCH CRT...

AND AS OF TODAY.......

It's like going from working on an old tug boat to commanding the Star Ship Enterprise!

Ok..now to the review of this Digital Storm Gaming Computer...well as much of a review as I can offer up to now since I haven't installed any games yet....still getting it configured to my personal tastes. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

It has been my lot in life that whenever I get involved in computers nothing ever works out right. And I expected nothing less when I decided to get this one. This rig is my 4th PC and I had no reason to figure otherwise. Happily I was wrong!Heart
My whole experience with Digital Storm has been been one of no muss no fuss.
As soon as I plugged the power cord into the wall socket and sparked this baby up it has been nothing but smooth sailing. She is purring like a kitten...quieter than my old tower and much better looking too.

The tower booted up and after some quick diagnostics went right to the desktop. It immediately recognized my monitor, keyboard and mouse. My printer which was always a pain in the rear on my old system has been tamed by this DS rig.
Everything is working flawless and I couldn't be happier...it was well worth the money and the time to save up and go with DIGITAL STORM...and I will happily and aggressively recommend DS to any and all who are looking into computers for now or in the future.

And I'd like to personally thank all the people on these forums who offered their advice...encouragement...support....humor...and expertise to help me through this maze of decision making in a very technical field of which I know so very little of next to all you guys. I hope I can call on you again as I learn more and more each day of how little I know about computers. Ermm

And especially to DST4ME...I thank you sir for your time and patience in answering my questions and helping me decide what I needed and what I didn't need...you made a lot of tough decisions very easy for me.Ermm

And in closing I'd like to thank my good buddy who I work with...Issac Ng-Montalvo...for convincing me to go with DIGITAL STORM. And also my best friend Willie Ocasio for finally persuading me to go with a 28 inch flat screen LCD HD monitor...holy cow...I had no idea what I was missing...Thanks fellas.ErmmErmm

AND SO I HUMBLY AND PROUDLY PROSTRATE MYSELF ON THE ALTAR OF DIGITAL STORM COMPUTERS! Ermm
THANK YOU DS

I'll be back with more reviews as I start to put this rig through its paces.
Ermm

SEMPER FIDELIS
HAILSTORMII
INTELCORE EXTREME 4960X 3.6GHZ
ASUS RAMPAGEIV X79
16GB DDR3 1866MHZ CORSAIR VENGENCEPRO
1200W CORSAIR AX1200I
256GB SSD SAMSUNG 840 PRO
2 SLI DUAL NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 780 3GB
MADMAX View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MADMAX Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2009 at 5:52pm
SEMPER FIDELIS
HAILSTORMII
ASUS RAMPAGEIV X79
1200W CORSAIR AX1200I
MADMAX View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MADMAX Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2009 at 5:53pm

SEMPER FIDELIS
HAILSTORMII
ASUS RAMPAGEIV X79
1200W CORSAIR AX1200I
MADMAX View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MADMAX Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2009 at 6:33pm
Thanks Harleyman....appreciate the encouragement you extended to me before.
SEMPER FIDELIS
HAILSTORMII
ASUS RAMPAGEIV X79
1200W CORSAIR AX1200I
Sneakerz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Sneakerz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2009 at 6:48pm
Very very nice. I'm jealous and my computer is barely 1yr old. Technology moves so fast its impossible to keep up. I hope this new computer brings you many years of enjoyment!
Intel Core i5 6600k @ 4.6
240GB Samsung SSD
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Hybrid
Corsair Hydro H80i GT
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2009 at 7:04pm
Very nice review! I love the pictures and comparisons. Ermm
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2009 at 7:17pm
That V core is insanely low!
Sodius View Drop Down

Quote Sodius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2009 at 9:31pm
Very sweet trade up on that machine and monitor. Great pictures and nice review.
Tugmaster View Drop Down

Quote Tugmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2009 at 12:55am
One word comes to mind. Beautiful!!
i7 [email protected](3.67ghz turbo)
6G Mushkin DDR3 Ram
2x Nvidia 275 in SLI
750 PC Power and Cooling PSU
MSI X58M
Asestek Liquid Cooling
Haf 922 Case
22' ASUS 1920x1080

venom View Drop Down

Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2009 at 1:23am
That vcore looks like a glitch, but if not, that is one hell of a chip.  Should be able to push that past 4GHz with ease.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2009 at 1:32am
I seems like a glitch, need to use a digital voltage meter to verify.. But it could be possible... Here is the best 920 I have had.. 3.8Ghz @ 1.1v 

venom View Drop Down

Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2009 at 1:41am
Wow that is amazing, any chance you are selling that chip?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2009 at 1:52am

bumped it up a bit.   still has lots of room left, I know for sure. lol

This is my drunken monkeys chip, and it will be for sale when I get my i9..

venom View Drop Down

Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2009 at 2:07am
O_O

That is amazing, I can only hit 4.0GHz w/ HT on this crap c0 @ 1.375v

I always forget i9 is coming out soon... Hm..

Edited by venom - 13 Oct 2009 at 2:08am
MADMAX View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MADMAX Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Oct 2009 at 10:52am
Ok....finally loaded up some games and had at it. I installed my favorite FPS games...CALL OF DUTY 4 and CALL OF DUTY 5 WORLD AT WAR....and all I can say is....WOW!

Now I know these are not the most demanding engines but coming from playing them on my old system to this DS machine it is like seeing them for the first time. And this Hannspree 28 LCD in High Def is simply amazing...especially considering the price.

Both games installed and patched up flawlessly...and for the first time I turned up all the settings to the highest levels.
I'm playing at 1920x1200 on this monitor.
The level of detail is truly a sight to behold. And I'm seeing small levels of detail that I never saw or could appreciate on my old system. Very satisfying visually.

Audibly I'm glad I went with the on board sound card, considering I do all my gaming with headphones. The sound is fantastic and much more detailed and clearer than what I was used to before.

Game play was absolutely the smoothest I have ever experienced...no lag what so ever....unlike my old rig...that Velociraptor loads up so quick that I am no longer the last player to spawn in and am right in there at the beginning of the game.

I've spent about 10 to 12 hours a day with this rig on... playing games and surfing the net to update my configs and settings. This baby hasn't even broken into a sweat...I haven't noticed any glitches or hiccups....no crashes or freezeups...and the only mistake was on my part when I dumped the sound drivers trying to install some fancy headset that came with its own drivers...the original drivers were easily reinstalled and the offending headset was immediately executed!

I did not tabulate my FPS or temperatures yet...I've only had the computer since Monday and took 2 days off from work to reinstall all my saved files...folders...and these 2 games and get all my configs and settings to my tastes.

Vista also has taken some getting used to and I'm learning new things everyday about this operating system and how to take advantage of most or some of what it has to offer. I don't know how comfortable to get with Vista considering Windows 7 is right around the corner....hopefully it will be an easy transition.

Well I intend to next load up a couple of  flight sims...specifically the IL-2 Sturmovik series and maybe the Falcon4.0 sim.

All in all I couldn't be happier with my DS computer.
SEMPER FIDELIS
HAILSTORMII
ASUS RAMPAGEIV X79
1200W CORSAIR AX1200I
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Oct 2009 at 11:12am
congrats, that looks great

that is hell of chip 1.3 at 4.5 with 71 load temp, wow
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Oct 2009 at 2:54pm
@justin.kerr, how much do you want to sell that CPU for? Thumbs%20Up
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Oct 2009 at 8:04pm
Great system!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
MADMAX View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MADMAX Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Oct 2009 at 11:51pm
Ok...been almost a week of continuous playing and what a DREAM MACHINE this rig is!!!
Gameplay has dramatically improved! I can't believe how smooth everything moves. Graphics is incredible. The visuals are so beautiful to behold that I can't get over how I managed to play before on that old system.
There is never...and I mean never any lag whatsoever....this rig is so darn quick that I get comments on a daily basis on how fast and smooth I'm moving. Some people have even accused me of hacking!
I still get beat but I am certainly in competition with the top dogs and no longer the last one in game.
This machine hasn't even broken a sweat yet and just hums along at a quiet pace.

SEMPER FIDELIS
HAILSTORMII
ASUS RAMPAGEIV X79
1200W CORSAIR AX1200I
hemi392 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote hemi392 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2009 at 12:11am
very nice setup looks like u got a good cpu. i got some temp glich going on with my gpu all my temp programs are giving no temp readings for it. speed fan say 0c where realtemp says its over 10,000 degrees and the alarm keeps going off on it.
Asus X79 deluxe w i7-4820k
corsair 750w
Geforce gtx 660sc
Gskill 8gb 1866mhzs ram
signal loop water cooling for cpu
MADMAX View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MADMAX Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2009 at 10:01am
WOW Hemi...is that on a DS rig?
SEMPER FIDELIS
HAILSTORMII
ASUS RAMPAGEIV X79
1200W CORSAIR AX1200I
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2009 at 10:04am
Originally posted by hemi392

very nice setup looks like u got a good cpu. i got some temp glich going on with my gpu all my temp programs are giving no temp readings for it. speed fan say 0c where realtemp says its over 10,000 degrees and the alarm keeps going off on it.

If you're using an I7 platform, there may have to be updates released for temp programs so that temps and readings will look correct when using CPUZ, GPUZ, HWMonitor and so on.
hemi392 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote hemi392 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2009 at 4:38pm
yea on a ds rig  i got the q9650 quad core, gpuz shows my gpu temp  but other programs arent . either is the gpuz messing up the other programs or that driver update i did the other day which instilled  gpuz program on my pc?
corsair 750w
Geforce gtx 660sc
Gskill 8gb 1866mhzs ram
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2009 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by hemi392

yea on a ds rig  i got the q9650 quad core, gpuz shows my gpu temp  but other programs arent . either is the gpuz messing up the other programs or that driver update i did the other day which instilled  gpuz program on my pc?

Are you current on the programs?
hemi392 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote hemi392 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2009 at 8:04pm
i got real temp 3.0 and this is what its shows for my gpu temp uploads/2665/Real_temp.JPG
corsair 750w
Geforce gtx 660sc
Gskill 8gb 1866mhzs ram
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2009 at 8:08pm
what does HWMonitor report it as?

also what about GPUz
hemi392 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote hemi392 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2009 at 9:12pm
corsair 750w
Geforce gtx 660sc
Gskill 8gb 1866mhzs ram
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2009 at 9:59pm
OMG!  Your GPU temps are great!  I can't believe they're that low.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2009 at 10:01pm
My CPU temps idle around 34 to 35 right now.  My house is typically 75F all day.  Your CPU temps are great also.

Edited by EdH63 - 19 Oct 2009 at 10:02pm
hemi392 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote hemi392 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2009 at 10:09pm
yep it stays pretty low,  on a load is between 65c to 70c. right now im trying to stable out at 4300ghz
corsair 750w
Geforce gtx 660sc
Gskill 8gb 1866mhzs ram
hemi392 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote hemi392 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2009 at 10:12pm
i got frostbite water cooler which helps out the temps
corsair 750w
Geforce gtx 660sc
Gskill 8gb 1866mhzs ram
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2009 at 11:31pm
frostbite is great.

be sure to check your cpu temps with both realtemp and HW and remember just to be safe always go with the highest number you see from both of them.

Edited by DST4ME - 19 Oct 2009 at 11:33pm
hemi392 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote hemi392 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2009 at 12:02am
yep have been keeping my eye on the temps im hitting the max temp right now at 4300mhz after about 35mins of testing  running it for a 1 hr  my vcore is getting up thier too to stable it out which is adding the extra heat  its at 1.408v in cpu-z with 1.4v fsb iv tryed lower volts but keeps frezzing so far this 1hr test is looking good.
corsair 750w
Geforce gtx 660sc
Gskill 8gb 1866mhzs ram
hemi392 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote hemi392 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2009 at 12:14am
well nm if just locked up after 47mins of testing back to the drawing board i go
corsair 750w
Geforce gtx 660sc
Gskill 8gb 1866mhzs ram
MADMAX View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MADMAX Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2009 at 10:38pm
Two weeks of continuous play and still humming along...no issues what so ever!
C-drive with OS cloned and awaiting Windows 7 upgrade disc.
This machine is a beauty.
Absolute perfection so far!
I am having a blast!!!!ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused
SEMPER FIDELIS
HAILSTORMII
ASUS RAMPAGEIV X79
1200W CORSAIR AX1200I
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>