FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

DS Equinox laptop questions

Post Date: 2016-01-12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
quickxotica View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote quickxotica Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: DS Equinox laptop questions
    Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 2:52pm
I am not able to find answers to the following questions about the current Equinox laptop anywhere. I’m on the verge of ordering a laptop and, having had good results for the past 3 years with my DS-built deskie, would like to stick with DS but I need to know the following to determine if the Equinox is the right laptop for my intended usage.     

Thanks!

1. Does it have a TPM chip (to support encryption)?

2. Is the screen an IPS panel or not?

3. Is the case stiffer than the Triton’s?

4. What are the noise specs? I’d like to know how loud this baby is at idle, at medium (video playback/streaming, etc.) and max (iray rendering/gaming)?

5. Are the right- and left-click functions configurable to somewhere on the keyboard, or is tapping the touchpad the only click method?

6. Is it true (per the configurator) that there is only one SSD & HDD config available?

7. Lastly, is the backlighting on the keyboard always red, or can it be changed to white?

Intended usage profile: mix of business and personal travel, standard remote office/browsing plus 3D iray rendering and light video editing/rendering.

Thanks!
bravoM2 View Drop Down

Quote bravoM2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 7:39pm
might get an official response if you post this on the equinox announce thread in the news section.
as far as case stiffness/noise questions, I would recommend you look up reviews of the msi GS60 ghost pro on youtube or such, i believe its what the equinox is built on and should therefore have some commonalities.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 3:06am
Originally posted by bravoM2

might get an official response if you post this on the equinox announce thread in the news section.

No worries. DS monitors all. Ninja Don't know much about laptops but other forum members should be around and answer your questions.

Edited by hoserator - 16 Feb 2016 at 3:08am
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 9:59am
I'm one of the laptop guys, but don't have an Equinox, so DS will have the best answers for you, unless there's an Equinox owner who's active on the forums.

Paging Alex!  Evil
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 11:19am
Thank you for your interest in the Equinox:

1. Does it have a TPM chip (to support encryption)?

Sorry, it does not. However, you can use Windows 10 built in Bit Locker which is fairly good.

2. Is the screen an IPS panel or not?

No it is not, but the color reproduction is fairly good. Especially after using our Color Calibration service.

3. Is the case stiffer than the Triton’s?

The actual chassis is made of aluminum so it's very stiff, however the actual screen panel has some flex, just like any other laptop that has a slim profile. Nothing to be concerned about.

4. What are the noise specs? I’d like to know how loud this baby is at idle, at medium (video playback/streaming, etc.) and max (iray rendering/gaming)?

It's quiet at idle, during video playback it's almost the same as idle, and at gaming and rendering, you will hear the fans spool up, nothing crazy loud, but yes, as that is a trade off being such a slim profile.

5. Are the right- and left-click functions configurable to somewhere on the keyboard, or is tapping the touchpad the only click method?

I believe the touchpad is the only click method.

6. Is it true (per the configurator) that there is only one SSD & HDD config available?

Correct, due to the slim profile.

7. Lastly, is the backlighting on the keyboard always red, or can it be changed to white?

Yes, it can be changed to any color via software.
 Post Reply Post Reply