DS for Photography?

Post Date: 2010-01-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Damon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Damon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: DS for Photography?
    Posted: 08 Jan 2010 at 12:45pm
My wife and son are avid photographers and they were looking for a new computer to store and edit their digital pictures.

Would a DS computer make sense for this purpose?

If yes, would someone be able to provide a great spec for this purpose? (nothing crazy since they are not computer junkies, just need a solid machine to process and store the images)

As always, thanks for the help!
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2010 at 1:29pm
Yes it would! I'm sure our experts will chime in soon and help you out.

What type of budget do you have for them?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2010 at 3:48pm
ya what is your budget, I'm looking at something like this:

Here you go Ticket# 371960 --- Price: $1871 (To see this build click here) Price after current promotion $1871

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - HAF 922
Exterior Finish: - Not Available
Trim Accents: - Not Available
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 Micro Edition SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair TX (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - Not Available
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (1TB Seagate/Western Digital (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Set 1 Raid Options: - Not Available
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 22x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275 896MB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Cooler Master V8 High Performance Cooler (Compatible With ONLY i7 Processors)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Available
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Enhancements: - Not Available
Chassis Mods: - Not Available
Noise Reduction: - Not Available
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Requires Air Cooling Upgrade)
Boost Video Card: - Not Available
Boost Memory: - Not Available
Boost OS: - Not Available
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Virus Protection: - Not Available
Office: - Not Available
Benchmarking: - Not Available
Install/Test Game: - Not Available
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-10 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty

but if the buget is too high maybe we can figure out a lower gpu.
Newbieevgaati View Drop Down

Quote Newbieevgaati Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 12:33am
@Damon,
     I am new, hence newbiexxxxxx.  I remembered your post on photography, and like your family I have an interest in this hobby.  On another thread I saw a link to Maximumpc.com.  In another article not related to the original link they talked about photography and its impact (good) from the use of a good video card.  The title of the Article was "ATI HD Radeon 5870 'The Fastest Video card ever'... $380.00 ".  I recalled your inquiry and thought I'd give you this info.

Good Luck.

Bill
Thanks from your loving
Forum W.....
Bill the Cat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Forum Bitch!

Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 1:48am

@Damon,

The system suggested by DS4ME would make an excellent photo editing station (and midrange gaming system for that matter). Don't know if you're indifferent to or shocked by the almost $1800 price tag with no monitor. If you fall into the latter category, you could get by with considerably less.

3.6 GHz E6850,       4 GB RAM, GTS 250,   TJ9, Win 7 64-bit
4.4 GHz i7 3930K, 16 GB RAM, GTX 670, 550D, Win 7 64-bit
CygnusX1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote CygnusX1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 2:20am

I just purchased my DS computer specifically for Photography & Video.

Just my personal opinions, but I very much recommend altering DST4ME’s suggested configuration with a 500GB hard drive for the operating system and image processing software. Then consider adding an additional 500GB HD each for your wife & your son so they can store their images on separate drives on the computer. This would make it easier for organizing their personal image files as their image collections grow in the future.

It all depends on how heavy your wife and son are into their photography as to how much storage you should consider. I am nearing 100,000 images and growing. I shoot large high Res. JPEG + RAW files. This is a personal choice, JPEG for instant gratification & RAW files, which are a much larger file size, for processing later.

I am a BIG freak when it comes to backing up all of my images! I have a 1.5TB external USB drive, and two separate, identical external 500GB USB drives. Each backed up with my ORIGINAL UNALTERED as well as post processed images in case something fails as well as being able to offload my images from my camera through a laptop, then to one of the external drives if I am on a road trip.

If you can afford it, consider adding a Blu-Ray writer, to back up their images to disk, to store off premise or in a fire proof safe in the event of fire or theft. Otherwise a regular DVD writer is fine. I know that there are only a few tragedies in my life that would be greater than losing all of my images that can not be repeated. Let alone the time and money spent shooting and processing them. You may have to contact DS to add the Blu-Ray writer, as the configuration DST4ME lists does not allow the addition of the burner. Or use the Black Ops configurator to fully customize the computer.

Also, an internal card reader would be nice, but not necessary. You could just use an external USB card reader to upload the images. The internal reader is more of a convenience. Again, to add the internal card reader you may have to contact DS or use the Black Ops configurator.

As DST4ME has in the suggested config, and as I have personally discovered, be sure to have Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, for the OS. It allows the use of most 32 bit XP & SOME earlier OS based software and peripherals. This way if you already have some software or devices that you wish to use on the new computer, there should be less of a chance of it having compatibility issues.

Unless this is a surprise gift, try and find out what they really want to be able to do, and base your decisions on how much they shoot and how serious their future growth in photography may be. Might save you having to turn around and buy a newer, better computer in the near future.

Also in the future, if you find that they are REALLY serious about their photography, consider a good quality TFT IPS monitor, and a monitor calibrator for proper color calibration. This way when they process their images and if they then choose to either personally print them or have them professionally (NO Wal-Mart, Walgreen’s, CVS, etc.) printed, the images will look just like they do on the monitor. Otherwise they may see a noticeable difference in what the image looks like on screen vs. in print.

Good luck!

Memories are great! Photos are better!!

Edited by CygnusX1 - 09 Jan 2010 at 2:47am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 5:40am
time out, the reason I did not add a second drive is because next year they can upgrade to a veloci or ssd for HDD1 and then move 1TB for storage as HDD2.

second my config very well supports adding a bluray player or 4 more dvd/bluray players for that matter.

I can't say I agree with burning images/media, cause after a while you will endup bunch of dvds and they don't last as long, IMHO its much better to store that stuff on a external drive, and I would not recommend going with drives bigger then 1TB, cause they have a high failure rate. I think best thing to do is get one of those externals that hold like 4 or 5 HDDs and use those, I just ordered one myself cause I have over 2TB of files in storage, and I need to simplify, I got too many externals right now, its will be great combining 4 of them into one, and using esata for faster bandwidth.
CygnusX1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote CygnusX1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 4:16pm
DST4ME - time out, the reason I did not add a second drive is because next year they can upgrade to a veloci or ssd for HDD1 and then move 1TB for storage as HDD2.

It would be helpful, if you have a reason for a specific config, to expound upon it. We are not mind readers.

As I suggested in my post, starting with “Just my personal opinion” dropping the 1TB HDD to a 500GB main HDD ,then the wife and son each could have there own dedicated 500GB drive for their images. Only an additional cost of $56.00 overall to the config. Allows for them to have their personal storage for their images and spreads out their images in the event of drive failure. Which, I have experienced many times. Which is why I have everything backed up ten ways to Sunday.

DST4ME - second my config very well supports adding a bluray player or 4 more dvd/bluray players for that matter.

I DID NOT suggest that your config woud not support blu-ray. I was just suggesting ADDING a Blu-Ray Writer, if they could afford it. Then mentioned that a DVD Writer would be just fine if the Blu-Ray was not an option.

DST4ME - I can't say I agree with burning images/media, cause after a while you will endup bunch of dvds and they don't last as long, IMHO its much better to store that stuff on a external drive, and I would not recommend going with drives bigger then 1TB, cause they have a high failure rate. I think best thing to do is get one of those externals that hold like 4 or 5 HDDs and use those, I just ordered one myself cause I have over 2TB of files in storage, and I need to simplify, I got too many externals right now, its will be great combining 4 of them into one, and using esata for faster bandwidth.

I ONLY listed what I personally had as external storage. Yes, at this point in time, if they can afford to do so, they SHOULD buy an eSATA external storage HDD as opposed to USB or as you suggest and if they can afford the cost they could go with a multi HDD setup. BUT! As I tried to make clear near the end of my post, all of this depends on just HOW HEAVY his wife & son shoot photos and if they will grow and expand in their interest in photography in the future.

I mention my External USB drives, because they are what I happen to have, and again, as I said before, they are convenient for travel and using with a laptop to offload images. Better than having a ton of media cards. But that’s a personal choice and suggestion. Of course, if they choose to have an external drive, buy eSATA as opposed to USB.

The reason I PERSONALY burn disks as well as backing up to external HDD, is that I don’t like keeping HDD’s in my shed when the temp here drops to –5 degrees like it did last night and commonly does. Disks can be stored OFFSITE in harsher conditions. I suggested the Blu-Ray as an option for the very reason of cutting down on the number of disks, even though by comparison, DVD media is much less expensive. So the only REAL benefit for Blu-ray is number of disks to deal with. I did not mention the quantity of disks “reasoning”, as my post was already becoming a novel as it was.

As far a disk life, there will likely be new storage technology before the disks become corrupted from age. There is ARCHIVAL DVD media available, used mostly by professional photographers, but very expensive.

We know that an HDD can last five years or five days. Poof, all their photos are gone, unless they can resurrect the files on the HDD or they in advance, have the images backed up multiple times.

Anyway, sorry that I have apparently muddied the waters. Just tried to make some suggestions from the perspective of photography as opposed to gaming.

Edited by CygnusX1 - 09 Jan 2010 at 4:19pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 4:43pm
you don't have to be mind readers, you just need to search the forum a bit and you will find many instances of me or many others explaining how to setup your HDDS.

Originally posted by CygnusX1

as the configuration DST4ME lists does not allow the addition of the burner.

I don't know about you but the above suggest that my config does not allow adding bluray or other media drives.

as for externals you can get one that supports both usb or esata, but esata offers better speeds.

as for storing HDDs, you can just keep them right next to the pc in an multi drive externals, or you can store them where ever you store bluray/dvd disks.

just clearing somethings up.

Edited by DST4ME - 09 Jan 2010 at 4:43pm
CygnusX1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote CygnusX1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 6:33pm
Apparently my phrasing concerning the Blu-Ray has really got to you.

So let me rephrase, to make my original comment more clear.

DAMON, THE CONFIGURATOR FOR THIS PARTICULAR SETUP WILL NOT ALLOW THE SELECTION OF A BLU-RAY WRITER. It WILL allow the selection of a BLU-RAY READER/DVD WRITER. But you CAN'T WRITE BLU-RAY MEDIA, ONLY READ IT.

This is not a reflection of DST4ME's suggested configuration, but is a limitation of the "Special Deals" configurator as opposed to the "Black OPS" configurator.

I ONLY brought up the Blu-Ray Writer as an option for Damon to consider for alternate long term image storage.

I hope that is cleared up enough for you. My apollogies to you for not being perfectly clear in my meaning and phrasing.

As for HDD setup. I have read MANY times here that it is better to have a main drive that is primarily for the OS & software, then have a sparate HDD for storage of files and in this case their photos. Not necessarily just for speed/access, but to spread the data to help reduce loss due to HDD failure.This is the way I have been doing it for years on my computers. But thats me.

Quoting DST4ME - "you don't have to be mind readers, you just need to search the forum a bit and you will find many instances of me or many others explaining how to setup your HDDS."

And what if Damon or anyone else does not happen to stumble across this info before buying their computer, or even know to ask? It might not hurt to briefly indicate the reasoning behind some of the config's in the post as opposed to the reader having to clear up on their own by searching the forums for something they may not even know to look for or even to find the right forum/post under which the info is placed. I have found conflicting comments on the forums regarding HDD setup options. But I am not going to bother at this point and hunt them down to show you the examples.

But, if you recommend having one large HDD with EVERYTHING on it with the UNMENTIONED idea of "next year they can upgrade to a veloci or ssd for HDD1 and then move 1TB for storage as HDD2.", so be it. That is your recommendation.

Quoting DST4ME - "as for storing HDDs, you can just keep them right next to the pc in an multi drive externals, or you can store them where ever you store bluray/dvd disks."

Again, the point I was trying to make is that I am not personally comfortable in storing any HDD in subzero enviroments as I do with DVD media. I was only suggesting burning to DVD or BD and storing off premise to help mitigate loss due to fire or theft. If it's REALLY important and a person does not want to burn disks for offsite storage, then they could store a backup HDD at a friend or relatives house, in a safety deposit box, or spend the bucks on offsite storage like Carbonite or similar service. 

I'm done. I should not have put my 2 cents in, and in doing so apparently bothered you with my wording and phrasing.

Good luck Damon!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 11:20pm
As for HDD setup. I have read MANY times here that it is better to have a main drive that is primarily for the OS & software, then have a sparate HDD for storage of files and in this case their photos. Not necessarily just for speed/access, but to spread the data to help reduce loss due to HDD failure.This is the way I have been doing it for years on my computers. But thats me.

I tell every body that.

And what if Damon or anyone else does not happen to stumble across this info before buying their computer, or even know to ask? It might not hurt to briefly indicate the reasoning behind some of the config's in the post as opposed to the reader having to clear up on their own by searching the forums for something they may not even know to look for or even to find the right forum/post under which the info is placed. I have found conflicting comments on the forums regarding HDD setup options. But I am not going to bother at this point and hunt them down to show you the examples.

I read what the OG requested and configed based on that, let him respond instead of you and then I can give him info, maybe its not in his budget to have 2 drives. again once he responds then I can communicate with him, instead of doing it thru you. I can't communicate with somebody that has not responded back yet.

I'm not resonsible for what you read on the forums, if you want to jump to conclusions based on what you read on forums and don't want to ask, then we never get the chance to explain.

also I like to point out, that almost all my posts have how to setup os and storage drive.

But, if you recommend having one large HDD with EVERYTHING on it with the UNMENTIONED idea of "next year they can upgrade to a veloci or ssd for HDD1 and then move 1TB for storage as HDD2.", so be it. That is your recommendation.

again nothing is mentioned sincew the OG has not responded yet, instead I'm left talking to his lawyer apparently. I can't communicate with somebody that has not responded back yet.

Again, the point I was trying to make is that I am not personally comfortable in storing any HDD in subzero enviroments as I do with DVD media. I was only suggesting burning to DVD or BD and storing off premise to help mitigate loss due to fire or theft. If it's REALLY important and a person does not want to burn disks for offsite storage, then they could store a backup HDD at a friend or relatives house, in a safety deposit box, or spend the bucks on offsite storage like Carbonite or similar service.

ok somebody explain to me why one would want to store HDD in subzero environment? I mean my house has room temp, not sure what is going on over there, but whatever that works for you is good. I'm not sure how much data you have that you can store it all in one disk on a friends house but most people have more then one disk worth, I being one myself.

I have had more DVDs go corrupt on me then I have had HDDs. So I tend to trust HDDs/sd/usb more then dvds, but thats me.

Edited by DST4ME - 09 Jan 2010 at 11:21pm
Damon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Damon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2010 at 12:00am
Wow, a lot of activity regarding my post....sorry guy was out all day and than watched the Wild Card Playoffs (GO COWBOYS!!!)

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions.

I was really looking for a simple setup (probably not going to upgrade anytime soon after purchase) that would allow my wife and son to edit, print and store their photos. I don't think I would be upgrading to a SDD anytime soon on this machine.

DST4ME - After taking into account this info, what changes would be made (if any) to your posted spec? (you rock by the way, the forum really appreciates you sharing your knowledge and insight!)
Newbieevgaati View Drop Down

Quote Newbieevgaati Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2010 at 12:15am
@Damon,
     I am from California, (Niner fan, DIE HARD)... nothing I can imagine would have been more of a nightmare than to see 'MC lazy' win the big one....  Go Boy's
     Good luck, with your rig and the Playoffs...  what were they thinkin (Eagles) not puttin in Vick?  (Their bad your good!!!)

Bill
Thanks from your loving
Forum W.....
CygnusX1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote CygnusX1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2010 at 2:40am

DST4ME - You know, this has been a very enlightening experience for me. It is clear to me now that I should have not posted to Damon to begin with. I should have kept my suggestions and opinions to myself and sat on the sidelines as most everyone else on DS forum’s does.

At first it seemed that you were irritated and took personal affront because you apparently did not clearly read, therefore misunderstood my intent of the full comment in my first post in this thread. Being that you will not likely bother to go back and re-read it, it was as follows:

“You may have to contact DS to add the Blu-Ray writer, as the configuration DST4ME lists does not allow the addition of the burner. Or use the Black Ops configurator to fully customize the computer.”

This did not mean that your configuration was flawed in anyway. It was simply that I had suggested the Blu-Ray Writer, & that it could not be added in your configuration because of the limitations of the “Special Deals” configuator.

As I stated in my previous posts “Just my opinion”. Apparently, not only have you misread by comments therefore misunderstood my intent in what I have said in my posts, but based on your following posts, you don’t like my opinions either.

“….let him respond instead of you and then I can give him info…” I was not originally responding to you. I was giving my personal suggestions in my own post to him. It appeared to me that this thread was started by him as an open request concerning suggestions for a computer for the purpose of photography. Being that I am a photographer, I thought that my suggestions might be helpful to him. He did not specify that he wanted information exclusively from you. I’m getting the feeling that you would have rather I not said anything to him and that it is your exclusive domain to make recommendations.

“…maybe its not in his budget to have 2 drives.” And maybe it was! Being that you have clearly stated that he had not mentioned a budget, and I was able to see that for myself, this means that I am not allowed to suggest anything until he stated his budget?

“again once he responds then I can communicate with him, instead of doing it thru you.” After my initial post to him, which you took affront to, you and I have been communicating with each other exclusively, nobody else. But, I guess once you have spoken, everyone else is to shut up, as you have exclusive control of any and all suggestions to him.

“again nothing is mentioned sincew the OG has not responded yet, instead I'm left talking to his lawyer apparently.” Well, I haven’t given any legal advice to anyone here, so because I made a couple of recommendations which you misinterpreted, which then left me trying to clarify myself to you as well as question a few things, you get bent out of shape and make snide comments?

“ok somebody explain to me why one would want to store HDD in subzero environment?” Again, you appear to have an issue reading what I have said, therefore you misunderstand what I am trying to impart. Do you just skim over everything and jump to conclusions or do you really have this much of an issue understanding what others have written?

“I have had more DVDs go corrupt on me then I have had HDDs. So I tend to trust HDDs/sd/usb more then dvds, but thats me.”

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=archival+dvd&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

Then maybe you should try ARCHIVAL DVD’s for the REALLY important stuff instead of what you’ve been buying at Wal-Mart! As I have attempted to make clear, I prefer to keep backups of my photographs stored off site. This means that in my personal case, I burn disks for long-term backup and store them in my unheated shed. As I thought I had made this clear already. I have multiple external drives, but I have had them go belly up in the past as well. I attempt to cover my ass in the event of a fire or theft. But this still seems to elude you. This is where everything started on this thread between you and I because I simply made a recommendation regarding a Blu-Ray writer to someone that was inquiring about a computer for photography purposes.

If you don’t believe or understand the use and reliability of backing up photos or anything else to disk, then take a moment and visit one of the many photography forums and check out what they are suggesting as options for long term safeguarding of large collections of photographs.

I’ll stop here, as most likely you just skimmed over this anyway and managed to not fully take in what I have written.

In closing, I have concluded, that you don’t like it when others chime in, to offer an opinion, when someone has a request regarding computer recommendations.

You clearly don’t like it when someone questions anything that you have said, regardless of their intent.

Sorry that you misinterpreted my posts. I shall not post any further suggestions or recommendations to anyone for any reason here or elsewhere on the DS forums, as I would not want you to continue to have issues with me, or my suggestions to others.

Also my apologies to Damon and anyone else that has been reading this back and forth exchange between DST4ME and myself!

Regards to all.

P.S. - Out of all the replies in response to over 17,000 of your posts, I must conclude that you have had one too many people tell you that "You Rock!"  After our exchange here, maybe I'm the first to ever say..."I DON'T think you rock" Embarrassed

Edited by CygnusX1 - 10 Jan 2010 at 3:05am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2010 at 3:19am
ok listen this is getting old, I didn't misread your quote, for somebody who wants to make sure I'm clear about stuff, you sure are unclear yourself then, how is noob suppose to understand that that my cofig can't be changed, when you put it that way? I believe the mistake is yours on how you put forward what you wanted to say.

you can suggest whatever you want, just don't ask me why I have not shared info with the og if he has not responded back to my first question.

I responded to your first post cause you mislead reader and you kept using my name.

problem here is that so far apparently your comments have left some people, myself included mislead and instead of realizing that you are putting your info forward in an unclear way, you want to blame us for reading your quotes wrong.

unclear: as the configuration DST4ME lists does not allow the addition of the burner.

clear: you can't change DST's config, so make a new one and add a bluray.

unclear: Again, the point I was trying to make is that I am not personally comfortable in storing any HDD in subzero enviroments as I do with DVD media

I'm still waiting for somebody to explain to me why anybody needs to store their HDD in subzero enviroment, I understand you do, but that has nothing to do with me suggesting to members to save and store their media files on a HDD, what does that have to do with the rest of us?

so perhaps instead of blaming us you can explain yourself better.

also who said I buy DVDs from walmart?

just because you want to save your stuff in a shed, what does that have to do with the rest of us and how we store our dvds? my saving and backing up data on HDD and all the other info was for the readers to do and not for you, so where you store your stuff has got nothing to do with one saving their files on a HDD and where they store that HDD.

If you don’t believe or understand the use and reliability of backing up photos or anything else to disk, then take a moment and visit one of the many photography forums and check out what they are suggesting as options for long term safeguarding of large collections of photographs.

are you talking to me? I'm the god of telling people to back up their data around here, so what are you going on about? no body ever said backing up is not needed or a great idea.

sorry that you can't be clear and simple so that people are not mislead.

I talk to lot of people here alone, they don't misunderstand me and I don't misunderstand them, so obviously its not a problem I have.

I love how you take no responsibility for anything you do wrong and how fast you put it on to others.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2010 at 3:25am
Originally posted by Damon

Wow, a lot of activity regarding my post....sorry guy was out all day and than watched the Wild Card Playoffs (GO COWBOYS!!!)

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions.

I was really looking for a simple setup (probably not going to upgrade anytime soon after purchase) that would allow my wife and son to edit, print and store their photos. I don't think I would be upgrading to a SDD anytime soon on this machine.

DST4ME - After taking into account this info, what changes would be made (if any) to your posted spec? (you rock by the way, the forum really appreciates you sharing your knowledge and insight!)

if you could give me a budget it will be easier.

how about this:

Here you go Ticket# 372360 --- Price: $1527 (To see this build click here) Price after current promotion $1527

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master Elite 310
Exterior Finish: - Not Available
Trim Accents: - Not Available
Processor: Intel Core i7 860 2.80GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA P55 SLI (Intel P55 Chipset)
System Memory: 4GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair TX (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - Not Available
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Set 1 Raid Options: - Not Available
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 22x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 1GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Cooler Master V8 High Performance Cooler (Compatible With ONLY i7 Processors)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Available
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Enhancements: - Not Available
Chassis Mods: - Not Available
Noise Reduction: - Not Available
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Requires Air Cooling Upgrade)
Boost Video Card: - Not Available
Boost Memory: - Not Available
Boost OS: - Not Available
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Virus Protection: - Not Available
Office: - Not Available
Benchmarking: - Not Available
Install/Test Game: - Not Available
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-10 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty

we still need to figure out your HDD situation also, how much room you want and etc.

Edited by DST4ME - 10 Jan 2010 at 3:29am
Damon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Damon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2010 at 3:37am
DST4ME - Budget would probably be between $1500-2000.

So which build would be better and make the most sense?
CygnusX1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote CygnusX1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2010 at 3:44am
"I'm the god of telling people...."

I think that says it all from you.

I'm sorry I have not phrased or worded myself EXACTLY as a GOD would have!

It would seem that for your GOD LIKE intellect you would be able to read my words and see that I DID tell him that YOUR config would not allow the change.

Also a GOD should be able to read my comment regarding storing DVD's in my shed and see that I NEVER said that I store HDD's in my shed.

You are a lost cause. I don't care what you or anyone else reading this thinks of me and my comments. I have given up on trying to make you understand. I guess as a GOD you are just too lofty and above me to understand me.

But, there might be others here reading this that no longer see you as a GOD after our exchange. I would not want your GOD LIKE reputation further damaged on my account!

Adios! GOD!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2010 at 3:47am
@CygnusX1, blaming others for the what you are doing yourself again. Also you have sat here and accused me of not giving enough info and etc in this thread, but you are unaware that I have been helping this member in another thread, where I have explained how to setup HDD1 and everything else you have accused me of leaving out.

@Damon:

Originally posted by Damon

DST4ME - Budget would probably be between $1500-2000.

So which build would be better and make the most sense?

well if it not for gaming at all, then the lowest price one.

if you want something that you can upgrade down the road that can be more powerful both cpu and gpu, then the i7 920 build. if you want to just be able to upgrade gpu and add some HDDs or upgrade gpu then the last build (lowest price one):

Here you go Ticket# 372360 --- Price: $1527 (To see this build click here) Price after current promotion $1527

Edited by DST4ME - 10 Jan 2010 at 3:57am
Optimystic View Drop Down

Quote Optimystic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2010 at 2:57am
Wow, what a crazy thread. Don't have much to add except that I too am very confused as to why anyone would store HDDs in a shed in sub-zero temps. Everybody I know keeps them by their computer, in the house, in normal temps. Not trying to flame, just wondering why he feels that's the only place to put them?
Coolermaster Haf932
i7 920 oc'd to 3.75ghz
12gb mushkin 1600mhz ram
GTX 275 896mb video card
Razer Barracuda
150gb Velociraptor
1TB Seagate
1000w Corsair psu
Frostbite liquid cooling
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2010 at 10:45pm
Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply