FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

DS S17 - interference using VGA output?

Post Date: 2010-03-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kpipe View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kpipe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: DS S17 - interference using VGA output?
    Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 12:20pm
< ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">< name="ProgId" ="Word.">< name="Generator" ="Microsoft Word 12">< name="Originator" ="Microsoft Word 12"><>

Hello, I believe I’ve found a problem with my DS computer, and I don’t think it’s solvable but I thought I would check.  I have a DS S17 with an nVidia GEForce GTX 280m graphics card, and have been trying to get it to output to a VGA projector. The computer only has a DVI-I output port, so I got a DVI-VGA adapter. When I first tried it, the graphics card would only output 1600x1200 to the projector, which could not handle that high resolution.  The only way I was able to get around this was to roll back the nVidia driver to 186.47 (this is not DS’s problem, but I’m mentioning it as a side note).  However, outputting at 1024x768 (or other resolutions) led to a lot of image blurring and ghosting on the projector.  I tried everything I could with shielding the cables, using different projectors, etc., but no luck.  I am pretty confident now that the issue is that there is interference between the laptop power (or some other source) and the graphics card within the case.  I notice that the DVI port is right next to the power input – I tried unplugging the power cable, but I still got the ghosting.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone else had tried outputting to a VGA projector from the S17 and experienced the same problem.  The only solution that has worked is to buy a USB-to-DVI/VGA adapter and use that.  It’s kind of a pain to have to carry that adapter around whenever I need to make a presentation, but without it, my computer is worthless.

Kevin

System info:

Intel i7 2.67GHz

6 GB RAM

Windows 7 64-bit

2 Intel SSDs

Post Reply Post Reply