Post Date: 2008-04-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
warlock View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote warlock Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: DSL Speeds
    Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 1:47pm
I have Qwest DSL and currently have 7MB download and about 1MB upload speeds.  I generally average 5.8 - 6.1MB download and .85MB upload. 

Before I go any further, I want to state that 7MB is great for most of what I do online.  Some multimedia downloading is sluggish, but I wouldn't know whether to blame the dsl or the site because other things download very quickly.

This week, speed upgrades became available - 12MB and 20MB download, but the upload speeds remain the same.

I want to know whether anyone here has real-world experience with either of these upgraded speeds and can advise how they compare to my current speed.  
-Would I notice much difference with online gaming?
-Does upload speed affect gaming much?
-How much difference between 7, 12 and 20 would I notice downloading multimedia?

I'm doing some research on dslreports.com, but have quickly learned that the members of this forum know what they're talking about, so opinions on this site are valued.

Edited by warlock - 28 Apr 2008 at 1:52pm
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 2:03pm
Going from 7Mbps to 12Mbps or 20 Mbps won't effect online gaming in any way. If you want lower latency, request a fastpath connection. Keep in mind that most ISP only offer interleave connections with ADSL2 (7Mbps+).

Upload speeds only matters if you are hosting a server.

The difference in downloading is almost twice as fast and if you download a lot of stuff, you will definitely notice it.
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
warlock View Drop Down

Quote warlock Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 2:34pm
Thankx skyR.  According to what I'm reading on dslreports, Qwest isn't going to grant a switch to fastpath (but I may have a trick up my sleeve to get around that).

I am a music video addict, so I do a lot of downloading.  I'm thinking the speed increase will be worth the extra money.
bluebmax View Drop Down

Quote bluebmax Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 May 2008 at 4:49pm

up/Download will be limited to the slowest bandwidth connection being used, it the site is slow, so is your end.  But having more bandwidth is a lot more fun than less.

"Running military and personal networks since 2005."
 Post Reply Post Reply