Post Date: 2009-09-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Caleb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: @DST4ME
    Posted: 15 Sep 2009 at 9:05pm
The Extreme II is literally my build with an extra 500 GB's and free liquid cooling for a cheaper price. I do not plan on upgrading to trisli in the future at all, but I run off of a wireless router, so I'm wondering if that plugs into the mobo or not...will I be able to fit one of those in there?
Here's the build you gave me a few months ago.
Your build.

Which should I go with?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Sep 2009 at 9:10pm
if you want to use wireless card you need to go wtih my config, the extreme 2 has only 2 pci slots and they are going to be filled with the 275-s.

ofcourse you can go with extreme 3, that will have all the pci slots you need, but it will also come with 295 and the 1250w psu.
Caleb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Sep 2009 at 10:37pm
So the only way to get internet would be to jack it into the wall instead...darn. That's a real big bummer!
sdelu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sdelu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Sep 2009 at 10:48pm
I do believe that they have USB wireless cards, so if you're okay with that you could use one of those.
venom View Drop Down

Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2009 at 12:18am
Why not get the i5 Enthusiast 2?  The P55 chipset with the i5 750 doesn't hurt gaming performance at all.  Plus you save yourself a few bucks, get a higher overclock, and a much better motherboard.
StrikeForce View Drop Down

Quote StrikeForce Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2009 at 2:36am
I would say the Classified for a mobo! I wouldnt get anything ASUS...I was a huge asus fan...Have one of their laptops...had the Striker Extreme mobo in another comp..loved it acutally but after reading a post on here i doubt Ill buy anything from them ever again...i guess they dont have any idea what customer service is..
venom View Drop Down

Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2009 at 2:41am
I have one of ASUS's laptops as well, thankfully I haven't had to call them yet.  So far the laptop runs great, just keeping my fingers crossed it lasts at least a year.

Classified is a great board, though way overkill for what many are doing with their computers.  Any EVGA motherboard I have owned has been very reliable/well-built, and in the rare case that it wasn't, their customer support was excellent.
jean luc picard View Drop Down

Quote jean luc picard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2009 at 4:55am

Everytime i go on the forum's no matter what forum's im in i hear nothing but compliments on evga's customer service and product reliability.Although i know asus is a top contender,they rarely get the shining customer review's that evga get's.At least from the forum's ive been reading in.While my pc was at ds i had them install a evga x58 le to replace my msi x58m and im glad i did.Thumbs%20Down

INTEL I7 920 OCED 3.5 GHZ
6 GB DDR3 MUSHKIN RAM 1333 MHZ
DUAL GTX 275 SLI
750 WATT PS
500 GB WD HDx2 RAID 0
WINDOW'S VISTA HOME premium
ANTEC 902 TOWER
ACER 23IN 1920/1080 rez
EVGA X58 LE
venom View Drop Down

Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2009 at 5:15am
Depends on the location.  USA has great support, UK and other markets seem to be lacking majorly.
StrikeForce View Drop Down

Quote StrikeForce Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2009 at 5:15am
Not sure about EVGAs customer service, but thats a good thing. I have never had any issues with their products and they preform perfectly for me. I also admit that while ASUS's products have also been flawless for me, the post from @aronevil about their customer service was a huge let down for me. I had always held them in pretty high regard.
Caleb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2009 at 10:59pm
How do these...USB cards work? Price? Thanks.
ShadowStar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ShadowStar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2009 at 11:20pm
You install it like you you do most USB items load the software first then when it tells you plug in the USB wireless card have your wireless router info ready and you are good to go. As far as price all depends on what you want to spend most of them are under $100. This is the one i use.

Edited by ShadowStar - 16 Sep 2009 at 11:24pm
Walking the line between realities
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2009 at 3:14am
I use one sometimes, they get pretty hot.
Caleb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2009 at 10:00pm
So DST, would this be the way for me to go :D?
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2009 at 10:45pm
I use a Linksys WRT610N and use the WUSB600N Adapter to route the signal to my wife's computer in another room away from my home office.  Very good set-up and I get a full signal.  Just make sure and encrypt the signal.  You don't want your neighbors riding your net's backbone.  You also don't want some identity thief sitting outside your home in his car tapping your net from his laptop and stealing your sensitive info.  

Edited by EdH63 - 18 Sep 2009 at 8:18am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 5:24am
Originally posted by Caleb

So DST, would this be the way for me to go :D?

I have never nor do I know anybody that uses a usb wireless adapter 24/7 to connect to the net, so I don't want to tell you yes, I rather we hear from anybody that does use one 24/7 and see what they say, as for mine other then getting hot I have no complaints, and it has never gave me trouble when I have used it (longest has been for like 2 days in a row), only thing I'm worried about is the heat making the usb adapter go bad, if that is not the case then I would recommend it, cause the signal and etc is great.

looks like EdH63 is saying he uses one 24/7, so if his is fine then I say go ahead.

Edited by DST4ME - 18 Sep 2009 at 5:25am
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 9:02am
If you're getting the signal from another source in the house and you just run the adapter, the adapter that ShadowStar is suggesting works fine.  This is the one I use too, however, I'm using it in conjunction with the Linksys router.  My wife has an armoire she uses to house her PC, printer and monitor, and I ran the adapter cradle out the back of her rig and up the back of the armoire to the top of the armoire, where it can get the full signal.  It's best to get the adapter as high as possible considering that these signals travel up high in the air.

The only reason I have my wife's PC set-up this way is because I don't want to hardwire another line and pay a monthly fee for it.  The router is more than sufficient and she's pulling 953Mbps right now on a 2.4GHz signal.  I can also switch her to a 5GHz Media signal for media downloads and file sharing.

ENCRYPT THE SIGNAL!

Edited by EdH63 - 18 Sep 2009 at 9:14am
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 9:51am

This is LELA software that comes with the router.  Very handy tool and gives you your full network illustration.

Edited by EdH63 - 18 Sep 2009 at 9:52am
Caleb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 6:20pm
I own a net gear router, does this mean I'll have to purchase a new router? Or do these wireless cards work with any router?
Caleb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 6:22pm
Also this 2.4Ghz, would that effect my computer speed with online play? If my OC is 3.7, and the speed of the signal is 2.4 does that mean I'm only going to be running at 2.4? Thanks in advance.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 6:23pm
just so we are clear, you talking about an actual wireless card or wireless usb adapter?

if I'm not mistaken you will need to drop in a netgear wireless card.

are you comparing your signal speed with your cpu speed?

Edited by DST4ME - 18 Sep 2009 at 6:24pm
sdelu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sdelu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by Caleb

Also this 2.4Ghz, would that effect my computer speed with online play? If my OC is 3.7, and the speed of the signal is 2.4 does that mean I'm only going to be running at 2.4? Thanks in advance.

no, wireless has nothing to do with cpu speed
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 7:42pm
I'm kinda with DST on this also.  Can you clarify exactly what you're trying to do here?

Do you already have a source router that you're getting a signal from or, are you going to set-up the source signal and transmit to another computer?  Do you have a hardwired PC sending the signal to another PC?  If you're trying to achieve that, then as DST is saying, you'll need to drop some sort of wireless card in the hardwired PC to send the source signal to the other PC.  Once that happens, then you use the USB adapter to capture the signal.

The 2.4 GHz is only the speed at which the signal is transmitted to the receiving PC from the router, or the wireless card.  It does not represent your actual processor speed at which your PC runs.  Gaming on a router signal is never going to be as solid as gaming on a system that's hardwired to the net but, it's doable.  Your rig will run at that 3.7 core speed but, you will be held at the mercy of a wireless signal and that may cause drops and slowdowns periodically.  You may never have any issues, you just never know.  Anytime you leave the source that is hardwired and ride the wireless signal, you will introduce a new set of variables that can cause issues when gaming.

EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 8:12pm
Ok, I missed the part above in your post that says you own a Netgear router already.  Just drop a wireless Netgear card in the receiving rig, as DST is saying, or find a compatible USB receiver. 
Caleb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 9:17pm
Ha, were all getting confused even me. Mk so the 2.4 will not slow the CPU down that's a CHECK!
What I'm Trying To Do:
- - - - - - - - - - - -
I currently have this card that I hooked up in my computer somewhere so I could feed off of the internet downstairs hooked up to the main computer that is jacked into the wall. I want to receive internet from that computer to my upstairs computer with this wireless stuff. I'm now confused on what a USB receiver is, wireless USB adapter, yes I do own a netgear router.
Hope this made more sense ha.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 9:55pm
Caleb, the signal goes from the router to the pcs that are connected to it.

right now you have a pc connected to it downstairs and would like to now connect a second pc to it that is going be upstairs.

on the second pc you like to use a wireless card that you have.

to do so you will need a free pci slot in the new pc, that is where the wireless card you have would go, now if you go with extreme 2, you will not have a free pci slot, so you can't use your wireless card.

to bypass this problem, instead of using a wireless card, we are saying lets use a wireless usb adapter/receiver, this type of wireless usb does what a wireless card like you have does, the difference is that your current wireless card goes in the pc's pci slot, but a usb wireless adapter will just go in a usb slot anywhere outside the case.

click on image to see details
you can see the usb wireless adapter that would be best for your use here

Edited by DST4ME - 19 Sep 2009 at 12:22am
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 10:51pm
... And I would only add one thing to what DST is saying.  If you can, and you do decide to go with a USB adapter, try and find one that has a cradle and elongated cable so you can pull the adapter up as high as you can get it.  Remember, the higher you have that adapter, the better it receives the signal.  See if Netgear has something like this...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?CurImage=33-124-278-S04&ISList=33-124-278-S01%2c33-124-278-S02%2c33-124-278-S03%2c33-124-278-S04&S7ImageFlag=1&Item=N82E16833124278&Depa=0&WaterMark=1&Description=LINKSYS%20WUSB600N%20USB%202.0%20Wireless-N%20USB%20Network%20Adapter%20with%20Dual-Band

You can plug that adapter DST posted directly into a USB slot right on the rig but, if your rig sits on the floor, it may not receive the signal well.  With a cabled cradle adapter, you can move it around a bit until you've found the "sweet spot" where the signal is the strongest.   
Zurginator View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Zurginator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by EdH63

You can plug that adapter DST posted directly into a USB slot right on the rig but, if your rig sits on the floor, it may not receive the signal well.  With a cabled cradle adapter, you can move it around a bit until you've found the "sweet spot" where the signal is the strongest.   

USB extension cable much?

Edited by Zurginator - 18 Sep 2009 at 10:56pm
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 11:05pm
I can only speak for the Linksys WUSB600N.  It does come with a cradle adapter which has, I believe, around a four foot cable.  It's actually designed to move away from the rig and sit at a higher position.  That specific adapter runs $64.99 on Newegg.  You may want to check around to see if other brands carry that kind of extension.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2009 at 12:21am
Ya if you need to, an extension will due just fine, but my pc sits on the floor and it gets the signal just fine, but I guess each house is different.
Caleb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2009 at 12:44am
I have recently moved my PC ontop of my desk because of the dust it was collecting under the desk :D. It runs cooler now, and the fan isn't roaring half as much. I'm very happy with this change in position. My desk is about 3-4FT of the floor, and my PC stands a somewhere between 1-2ft tall if I'm measuring right..so @ DST again you think I should do this? Save me a lot of $$ and get a lot of free stuff with it? *LCING*, *500GB's*.
venom View Drop Down

Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2009 at 1:27am
Originally posted by EdH63

If you're getting the signal from another source in the house and you just run the adapter, the adapter that ShadowStar is suggesting works fine.  This is the one I use too, however, I'm using it in conjunction with the Linksys router.  My wife has an armoire she uses to house her PC, printer and monitor, and I ran the adapter cradle out the back of her rig and up the back of the armoire to the top of the armoire, where it can get the full signal.  It's best to get the adapter as high as possible considering that these signals travel up high in the air.

The only reason I have my wife's PC set-up this way is because I don't want to hardwire another line and pay a monthly fee for it.  The router is more than sufficient and she's pulling 953Mbps right now on a 2.4GHz signal.  I can also switch her to a 5GHz Media signal for media downloads and file sharing.

ENCRYPT THE SIGNAL!

Encryption is worthless, I can break it in ~15min.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2009 at 2:48am
So you're saying encryption is worthless?  I would think that's a bit irresponsible coming from a DS employee.  I would think you'd encourage your customers and potential buyers to do whatever they can too prevent any kind of identity theft.  Not everybody is a computer engineer like yourself that may, or may not have the ability to actually break encryption. 

Hackers can still hack FBI and CIA data bases but that doesn't negate the fact that they still use preventive measures to stop it from happening.  I've been encrypting for years and have never seen anyone riding my backbone before.  For us, the layman user, encryption is more for keeping your neighbors off your signal.  But, with identity theft more prevalent today, and the reality of it worsening in the years to come, encryption will become more of a streamline recommendation.

You can die a hideous death in a car crash even if you wear your seatbealt and have airbags, but your chances of survival increase by wearing them and having them.  You, of all people, should know better and should advocate preventive measures on your forums.  It just kinda makes sense, don't you think?

Edited by EdH63 - 19 Sep 2009 at 3:20am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2009 at 3:20am
@ Caleb, if ed is saying his usb adapter is going fine, then yes go with the usb option.

@ ed, I think best thing to do is to set the router to not broadcast the SSID and have a strong password

Edited by DST4ME - 19 Sep 2009 at 3:23am
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2009 at 3:59am
You're right, DST.  However, that password would be a WPA2, TKIP or AES encryption.

WPA and WEP encryption were found to be unreliable and flawed in the past due to exploits, so the standard today in all new routers produced is WPA2 and AES encryption.  Just more layers of protection.  Nothing's bulletproof.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>