Dual Boot Windows 7...?

Post Date: 2010-06-07

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Dual Boot Windows 7...?
    Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 5:04pm
Yeah, the title sounds weird, but read on for what I mean. When installing any Windows OS, it preconfigures USB, display, etc. drivers for the system it's installing on, yes? And therefore, booting that from a different computer could completely confuse Windows?

Alright, so we're on the same page. SO, I'm planning on getting a laptop soon, and it can hold two HDDs simultaneously. Originally, I was planning on putting all my data on its second hard drive, and swapping the thing back and forth. I would thus keep two separate Windows 7 operating systems and two different program sets on my main and laptop hard drive, so as to not confuse Windows. That was before I figured that I could get a nice intel 80GB SSD to host my laptop's operating system. Now, I still don't intend on having only one OS. Instead, I want to know, is it possible to dual boot the same operating system type off one hard drive? They're not exactly identical, heck no, they have two different registration numbers, and one is Windows 7 Ultimate, the other Windows 7 Home Premium. By dual boot, I mean as in, I partition the drive into two 40GB parts, and then pop it into my main computer, reinstall Windows 7 Ultimate from my main computer into Partition A, and then pop the drive into my laptop, and then reinstall Windows 7 Home Premium onto Partition B, hopefully achieving separate configurations for each operating system?

What I'm trying to achieve basically is the ability to have a modular hard drive system that will allow me to physically move all data back and forth between the laptops, and now, to also keep the benefits of SSD speeds constant between both drives.

Oh, and the laptop I'm getting somewhat rivals my main, it's an Asus G73JH.
System Specs will be as follows:
Core i7 720QM @ 1.6Ghz, Quick OC to 1.7Ghz, Turbo to 2.8Ghz
ATI Mobility Radeon 5870 1GB
8GB DDR3 1033Mhz RAM
80GB Intel SSD (Boot), 500GB Seagate Momentus 7200RPM HDD (Data)

My main's specs:
Core i7 920, OC'd to 3.33Ghz (Probably will change once I get it back)
Dual E-GeForce 9600 GTs in SLI
6GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM
150GB WD Velociraptor HDD (Boot/Data)

To clarify, I'd most like the 80GB SSD to host both my main and laptop's operating systems, and the 500GB 7200RPM hard drive to host both system's data. I won't be switching systems often, so I'm hoping that means the connector degradation that usually results from hot-swapping won't take place.

To clarify another thing, yes, I will be owning two separately registered copies of Windows 7. One will be Windows 7 Ultimate which my main system hosts, the second will be Windows 7 Home Premium that my laptop will arrive with.

The only thing is, if I can dual boot, would I be able to differentiate between the two "Windows 7" titles when selecting boot partitions? Or, would I just have to guess and hope that I picked the right one, then write it down to remind myself?

Edited by ablahblah - 07 Jun 2010 at 5:13pm
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 4:23pm
bump...?
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
 Post Reply Post Reply