FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dual Booting OS/ Vista Question

Post Date: 2007-09-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
donkeypunch View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote donkeypunch Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Dual Booting OS/ Vista Question
    Posted: 29 Sep 2007 at 11:47pm
I have a 150GB Raptor drive that I want to use for my OS and main files, while using the 500GB drive for storage. Is it fairly painless to partition the Raptor and have a dual booting setup with Vista and XP? I googled it and it seems like it can run into snags setting it up with corrupted boot loaders if Vista is installed first? Would the process be any easier if I added a third hard drive and have Vista on one and XP on the other?

My second question is the benefit of Vista Ultimate to Vista Home Premium. Right now I have the Premium but I'm contemplating on Ultimate. At first glance it looked like Ultimate just added some added security and business type features which I don't need. But today I was looking at Microsofts site at an option that lets you upgrade at anytime for a price. When I clicked on the differences, three features caught my eye. They were:

Windows Ultimate Extras:
Stay up to date and get valuable tips, services, and software through Windows Ultimate Extras - available exclusively to customers with Windows Vista™ Ultimate.

Support for high-end hardware
:
Windows Vista™ Ultimate supports computers with 2 processors and 128 GB of memory on 64-bit computers to ensure that you have all the horsepower you need for the most demanding applications.

Windows Fax and Scan:
Fax and Scan provides flexible, integrated faxing and scanning capabilities that make it easy to send and receive faxes, scan documents and images, and share those resources with other people.

I would have thought being able to send faxes was included in all versions? I was also curious about these "extras" that Ultimate users get? My biggest concern is that babble about support for high end hardware. Does support for two processors mean like a quad core chip or two independent processors? Basically what I'm asking is if Ultimate will make my actual hardware run any better?

My last question is about warranty service. I asked this in my previous post but it was deep in a thread concerning another matter. Does the warranty cover customers who overclock their own gear? Thanks for any help.

skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2007 at 11:59pm
Extras include language packs, dreamscene (video desktop), poker game, and some security thing.

Two processors does not mean duo or quad. It means two actual physical processors seated on the motherboard. Ultimate won't make your hardware run better since you will never have 2 CPUs or 128GB of memory.

Fax and Scan is integrated and just makes it easier.

And I do believe you null your warranty since you are modifying without their authorization (1A).

Edited by skyR - 30 Sep 2007 at 12:04am
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.

Quote donkeypunch Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2007 at 12:20am
Thanks SkyR.

Right now I have the air cooling option level 2. For $25 they will OC. I believe you said they would be able to get the Q6600 to 3Ghz. If I ordered this service, and ever had to reformat or change Bios settings, would I retain the OC'ed speeds? If not, I take it I would be able to make the Bios settings to reapply the speeds?

I know it sounds stupid, but my last computer purchase is closing on 3 years ago. Alost has changed and seems OC'ing is widely accepted now. Just not quite sure how it all works, as the last thing I want to do is void my warranty! Thanks for the quick reply. :)

Edited by donkeypunch - 30 Sep 2007 at 12:21am
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2007 at 1:31am
I believe 1a of the service contract specifies an "unauthorized modification".

This is further reinforced in 1b: " The limited warranty also does not cover damages or defects that may have been caused by: Shipping damage (other than the original shipment), improper installation or maintenance, misuse, neglect or improper environment, repair, modification, adjustment, or installation of options or parts not by an Digital Storm employee".

If you have paid for the OC service, it would seem reasonable that you could contact Digital Storm's customer service, inform them of your intent to flash a new bios version and then ask for the correct bios settings to restore the OC in an approved fashion without voiding your warranty. They may even have information about a particular BIOs update that could change your mind about moving to a new version.

My reading of that warranty is that if somone does their own OC, and throws caution to the wind with some crazy OC settings, and fry their system doing it, they don't want to have to pay for someone elses' stupidity.

The best thing to do IMO, would be to contact DS directly and get clarification on how warranty coverage is affected before making any sort of system changes.

Quote donkeypunch Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2007 at 1:48am
Thank you very much for the warranty quote Tyler. As I said thing changed a great deal and I see even component manufacturers of memory, processors, etc encourage OC'ing to an extent, even advertise as such. Just wasn't sure how warranty issues were handled. I am going to take your advice and call first thing tomorrow to ask for their level 3 cooling which includes OC'ing just to be on the safe side.

I would also suggest adding the Overclocking feature in a seperate box/drop menu as it really has no relevence to cooling. In all honesty, when I made my purchase the only differance between level 2 and 3 was a "TwisterBoost" function which I had no idea what it was and never connected it to overclocking. It was only after I placed my order that I clicked the "?" and got detailed info on what "TwisterBoost" is. What an odd name for overclocking! Wacko

I thank you guys again for the help,info, and advice.

Edited by donkeypunch - 30 Sep 2007 at 1:54am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2007 at 12:10am

Give us a call on Monday morning, we will be able to completely answer each and every one of your questions.

The reason our warranty states we don't want customers to mess with the machine too much, is because we have had issues where customers end up overclocking machines incorrectly or even installing low-quality cooling components that end up causing issues.

Quote donkeypunch Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2007 at 12:18am
Completely understandable. I will give a call tomorrow. Thanks for the reply. Thumbs%20Up
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 12:46am

No problem! Smile

Post Reply Post Reply