FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

DVD Decoder

Post Date: 2015-01-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Perfice View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Perfice Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: DVD Decoder
    Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 11:04am
I've just bought a DS PC with Windows 8.1 pre-installed and I tried to play a DVD cause our XBox won't play them and the laptop is in the shop. It says Windows 8 doesn't support DVD playing capabilities and I need a decoder to play them. I look around for like half an hour and find K-Lite and purchase it and still, nothing. My friend says Windows 8 media player won't play DVDs and I'd have to download a different media player to be able to play any DVDs. And I say to him well I know it will play DVDs because that's what we use on our laptop all the time...

So basically I'm looking around for the codecs to go with K-Lite and find it on some third party website, which already makes me uncomfortable... So I finally find a site that looks atleast half-way legit (codecguide website) and download the files... Okay so now I have something that plays DVDs, called like 321 or something, which I don't recognize... But still Windows Media Player doesn't work and either does K-Lite, which I paid actual money for.

I look it up again and it's saying something like 'You need to upgrade your Windows 8 to have the feature to play DVDs.' Okay I go look up additional features on the Windows Store and it tells me to upgrade and I need to post my product key. I look all over for my Windows product key and can't find it...

I was hoping maybe one of you guys who are more techno-savvy can help me out here...
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 11:07am
The Windows product key is usually on the outside of one of the case's side panels.  Mine in on the right side panel.   Laptops have it on the bottom. 

Cyberlink's PowerDVD 12 has come up as a good player for DVD and Blu-Ray.  I haven't used it. 

Edited by bprat22 - 19 Jan 2015 at 11:12am
Perfice View Drop Down

Quote Perfice Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 11:13am
I've entered in the key now but it says key will not work.

Also, I'm trying to get K-Lite to work now, since I already paid for it. I don't want it to sit in my programs list gathering dust when I just paid for this thing...

Edited by Perfice - 19 Jan 2015 at 11:14am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 11:22am
I can't help ya with that.  Never used their codecs. 

Product key....  You can use a program like Belarc Advisor to scan and double check you product key.    
Perfice View Drop Down

Quote Perfice Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 11:33am
It says the product key I entered in was correct...
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 11:34am
I always thought K-lite had a free version like......http://www.codecguide.com/about_kl.htm

I'm going back a couple of years, so I looked that up.  Not sure of it, though.  

EDIT
Product key.....Try a copy/paste and drop the product key into the box.     That has worked for me with other licenses that were finicky. 

Edited by bprat22 - 19 Jan 2015 at 11:40am
Perfice View Drop Down

Quote Perfice Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 11:37am
Okay, It says I need a new product key to add on features which will put me back $100. Sorry Windows, it's not worth $100 just for the ability to play DVDs when I can get that for free...
Perfice View Drop Down

Quote Perfice Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 11:41am
Originally posted by bprat22

I always thought K-lite had a free version like......http://www.codecguide.com/about_kl.htmI'm going back a couple of years, so I looked that up.  Not sure of it, though.   EDIT Product key.....Try a cut/paste and drop the product key into the box.     That has worked for me with other licenses that were finicky. 

That's the one I downloaded, I didn't know if it was really a safe site. The trouble I was having is I already paid money for K-Lite and I was trying to get it to actual do what i paid money for it to do.
michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 12:19pm

Wow, $100 for the Media Center pack? Are they insane??

Annoying how Windows removed a feature that's been standard for a long time - ability to play DVD

It's BS seeing how much they have charged the world for Windows over it's lifespan

I have owned 5+ PCs and had many company PCs and, damnit, I should be able to watch a DVD for free. A Blu-ray player, that plays DVDs AND Blu-rays costs $50!
"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 1:43pm
You could try VLC.  It's a long-standing, free media player that has most codecs you'd ever need built-in.  I haven't used it to play DVDs, but it's supposed to be able to do so.

I user PowerDVD which I purchased because I need to be able to play Blu-rays, and I've never been able to get VLC to do so, though supposedly you can with some tweaking.  I'll check tonight and see if I can play DVDs on VLC.
 Post Reply Post Reply