FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engineering/Gaming Computer

Post Date: 2012-07-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Earosner View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Earosner Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Engineering/Gaming Computer
    Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 3:15pm
Budget:
As Much as 3500, but preferably lower.

Expectations:
I want my computer to be able to handle anything thrown at it. From Autocad to Crysis, Starcraft 2 to...Microsot Word! :D Anyways, I would love for this computer to be future proof for at least three years, however I kind of know how to stretch things so it will probably last that long.
Usage:
Well, I don't look ahead so all of my usage is pretty much int the paragraph above. In short :
internet
gaming
heavy productive programs
word processing
General Collegiate requirements.
Special Needs:
I also need it to be very quiet. I hate it when I annoy other people and it probably wouldn't be very smart to bring a computer that sounds like a train rolling through into a dorm room the size of a closet.
Ticket Number:708461

This is just something I put together with brute force. I would love if someone could help put some finesse into the build. Thanks in advance!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 4:18pm
Hi Earosner......welcome to the forums.      I'm not at my rig right now so can't cut and paste so check out config # 708473     cost$ 3320. It is $300 cheaper and gets rid of what you don't need. The Zalman fans are noisy, not what you said you wanted.    The noise package is not needed for the Hafx case.   The temp/fan control is good eye candy but doesn' t have much function but looks does count for some so your call. You didn't mention monitor or resolution but the 4gb vram card is probably not needed.   I did change sli 670 to the FTW oc version.   It has higher clock speed., better cooling and a more robust pcb mounted to it.    And because its factory oc'd carries full warranty.    See what you think and good luck.   
Earosner View Drop Down

Quote Earosner Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 4:29pm
Thank you very much bprat! I was looking at the 4gb vram cards because of what I read for the use of the programs such as autodesk working better with more video ram. I figured it would be better for them while also not hurting my gaming capabilities. I didn't specify a monitor, which I know I should, but primarily I will go for a monitor with 1920x1080 resolution. I wasn't sure about the temp/fan control but thought it would be good for sound so that I could control the speed of the fans for when I'm not gaming, but I guess the motherboard does that automatically... Thank you for the time that you put into this build. I knew that my brute force would get something that works but is also a bit too extreme.

Edit: I make so many typing mistakes writing off of my iPad...

Edited by Earosner - 15 Jul 2012 at 4:32pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 5:38pm
    I'm working off a Kindle Fire.        I have to take off in a feww minutes but You know Autocad better than I so if higher vram does it then finally something that can use it.     The fan/ temp control doesn't read temps accurately and the HafX case's fans turn at 700 rpm I believe and are pretty quiet.    Mobo won't control them but they work great as-is so why mess with a good thing?       You have a great rig there and tomorrow I can help more if you have any questions.   Good luck and maybe others will weigh in.    
Earosner View Drop Down

Quote Earosner Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 9:48pm
Lol, I'm kinda stuck on my iPad because my last computer just dropped dead after 8 years of loyal service. I only upgraded it once but it worked. Anyways, the extra vram is what I heard but if it is a significant price difference I might just go for the 670. Just a quick question, will this rig be somewhat portable as in I can take it back and forth from college on the big vacations like summer and winter or will this be a computer that follows Newton's law of inertia? (Object at rest blah blah blah...)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 4:50am
The HafX is anything but portable.Big%20Smile    It probably weighs with all the guts about 50 lbs, give or take and pretty big.  If you keep the DS packaging and are carefull I don't see why not.  Put in on the backseat or something.   I wouldn't want to carry it on a transit bus. Cry

Earosner View Drop Down

Quote Earosner Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 2:50pm
Hmmm, that won't be that bad. As long as I have the ability to transport it , I don't think I would mind. After all, if it makes it from california to new york, I think it could make it on a 6 hour drive. :D Anyways, I still am wondering about the extra vram, and if it's worth it.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 3:11pm
Not sure what you have now or have access to but I believe MSI Afterburner can be used to monitor vram usage.   What little research I have done does point to AutoCad using higher vram.   Of course, you being the expert, you would know alot better than I.      Xporting on your back seat would make this do-able in my book.             I wish I had this pc problem in my days.    We were using slide rules, aka slipsticks.

Edited by bprat22 - 16 Jul 2012 at 3:20pm
Earosner View Drop Down

Quote Earosner Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 5:44pm
After doing my research, I think I'm better off going with the cheaper 2gb gpu because the change in performance isn't entirely worth it. And I might just possibly in the far future put in a "pro" card if need be. I think I'd be fine with that setup anyways. Oh and I use to use the slide rule for my uncle. He flies airplanes and he would ask me to do calculations for him. He is an old fashioned fellow   

Edit: How much faster does the ssd access data over a hard drive? Could I just get an ssd for the operating system instead of os and programs?

Edited by Earosner - 16 Jul 2012 at 5:57pm
 Post Reply Post Reply