FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Erratic Download Speeds

Post Date: 2020-08-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
fdemar View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote fdemar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Erratic Download Speeds
    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 3:58am
Has anyone every experienced what you see below when downloading games from Steam? After using Steam for 15 years I've never experienced it until I got my new computer a few days ago. I tried clearing the download cache, which helps occasionally but not reliably. My internet connection is good and the drive it's downloading to is brand new and seems healthy. I've also changed the download region on Steam, to no avail. I'm trying to figure out if the problem is on my end. Thank you for any help.

fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 4:04am
See it all the time when I download from Steam or anywhere else. So many factors can influence this. I doubt there is anything wrong on your end. If your connections are good, and not disconnected or loose because of a pet (speaking from experience) then it is just the fluctuations of the traffic and all hops handling the packets. Usually, if there is something wrong on YOUR end, you have no connection at all. JMHO
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 12:34pm
Since you stated your internet connection is good, I'm assuming it's only Steam that's having download speed issues? 
fdemar View Drop Down

Quote fdemar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by fwfdfireman

See it all the time when I download from Steam or anywhere else. So many factors can influence this. I doubt there is anything wrong on your end. If your connections are good, and not disconnected or loose because of a pet (speaking from experience) then it is just the fluctuations of the traffic and all hops handling the packets. Usually, if there is something wrong on YOUR end, you have no connection at all. JMHO

I too was thinking it wasn't on my end, but when you get a new system, the first one fears when something goes wrong is there's a faulty component. The other reason why I am/was suspicious is because I noticed when downloading games from Steam to my HDD, it will spend forever allocating disk space. The SDD allocates much more quickly, naturally. This is curious to me because my old rig didn't take that long to allocate space. Maybe it's just a difference in hard drives though.
fdemar View Drop Down

Quote fdemar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Tidgxor

Since you stated your internet connection is good, I'm assuming it's only Steam that's having download speed issues? 

Hey Tidgxor, that's my hope. My download speeds are pretty consistently in excess of 200mbps. I've downloaded a few games from Origin and they downloaded perfectly. I should add that some of the games I downloaded via Steam the past two days did so without issues. Does Steam throttle?
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 1:53am
Remember, Steam has been around much, much longer than the others, hence more users. I find that my DL speed with them depends on the time. When they are jammed with users and other downloaders, my speed will fluctuate as you are talking about. At other times, I hit peak speed and pretty much stay there for the duration. The problem is not your new, pretty machine. lol
Have fun with it!

Thought of one other thing, you mention downloading to your HDD. I am not a wiz on this stuff but I would think that some of the speed fluctuation can also be attributed to the "read-write" activity going on. HDD vs SSD ? Maybe?

Edited by fwfdfireman - 25 Aug 2020 at 1:56am
fdemar View Drop Down

Quote fdemar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by fwfdfireman

Remember, Steam has been around much, much longer than the others, hence more users. I find that my DL speed with them depends on the time. When they are jammed with users and other downloaders, my speed will fluctuate as you are talking about. At other times, I hit peak speed and pretty much stay there for the duration. The problem is not your new, pretty machine. lol
Have fun with it!

Thought of one other thing, you mention downloading to your HDD. I am not a wiz on this stuff but I would think that some of the speed fluctuation can also be attributed to the "read-write" activity going on. HDD vs SSD ? Maybe?

Thanks for the reply fwfdfireman! I think you're spot on about the drive. I've been downloading open world games with lots of loading screens to my SSD and "conventional" games to the HDD. The difference in installation and time it takes to allocate disk space is pretty substantial. I'm actually thinking I should've gotten a 1TB SSD instead of my 500GB, but they're easy enough to replace and install. Thanks again.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 11:44pm
I get all sorts of erratic dl speeds from Steam so I would not worry.
Enjoy. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply