Ethernet cable wiring

Post Date: 2020-08-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
chrisdel1234 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote chrisdel1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Ethernet cable wiring
    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 12:19pm
I have done a decent amount of wiring in networking the last year but still I do not know everything. So I recently realized that I have a ethernet port/jack in my office/room downstairs. I connected an ethernet cable from there to my computer and lo and behold nothing. I checked the wirings to my router and its connected to some phone system and the cable is wired with rj45 A not RJ45 B. It is safe to assume then that both sides are wired as A instead of B.

Question, if I were to buy an ethernet cable with type A wiring would it connect to my computer just fine or would I have to make new rj45 heads on both ends? I was thinking of just running a new cat 6 cable and making a head on one side and a jack on the other but its a townhome so 2 floors and the wire seems pretty tight as is and am not sure how they crazily reached to the upstairs closet.
Thoughts/ suggestions?
Also whoever labeled them did a terrible job writing simple things like "bed" "bed " "bed " "p3" (idk what that means), etc. So Am not sure which cable belongs to which jack unless I use a tone device.
DemonicRuins View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DemonicRuins Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 12:51am
Hey partner. So if im understanding right you have a data jack that isnt going live when you plug into it from where your router is located. First question is going to be do you have a smart panel inside your home? Its possible you do and those to data lines aren't tied together. Fastest way to figure that out is to go to any local hardware store and get a toner kit. Looks like an RJ11 phone cord attached to a cigarette pack sized box, it will come with a wand that will give an audible tone. Now if you do go the toner route and find there is an area where those two data lines arent spliced together you can pick up a little 20 packs of data beans and that will do a mechanical splice. Next question is have you opened up the wall plate to make sure the data line us terminated to the jack. If it is make sure both ends match either Type A or Type B. Doesn't matter which one they're on as long as it matches.
 Post Reply Post Reply