Europe Fines Intel $1.5 Billion in Antitrust Case

Post Date: 2009-05-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MarkNY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MarkNY Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Europe Fines Intel $1.5 Billion in Antitrust Case
    Posted: 13 May 2009 at 12:47pm
tman5890 View Drop Down

Quote tman5890 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2009 at 3:34pm
I don't like this at all. Europe is just trying to get money any way possible in their desperate time. How will this fine effect normal people in Europe? I doubt the money would even reach that far.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2009 at 5:17pm
Bill Gates may have a great product but it's no secret how he goes to market.  It'll be interesting once rival companies start to gain market share and give Microsoft a run for their money.  Nothing good comes from monopolies.
<8) slunK parade View Drop Down

Quote <8) slunK parade Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2009 at 7:23pm
thats quite unfair tbh
its like saying "wow quit being such a succesful business"
who cares if they "denied a range of chips"
who are they to tell them how to run there sh*t
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2009 at 7:34pm
That's not the point.  The point is the ethical approach.  Whether you see it or not, or believe it or not, ethics should always play a part in your business.  What is the underlying motive in your approach to the market?  How do you choose to achieve your projected goals?  How do you wish to be viewed by your competition while you move through the market?   Can you be as successful without paying off foreign markets to buy your products?  What is your measure of success in the market?  Does your measure go beyond the business and the revenue in what gain lies beyond the business, or does it simply stop at the revenue in how much you can add to the bottom line?  Maybe this is the overarching perspective that we should have as businessmen. 
tman5890 View Drop Down

Quote tman5890 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2009 at 7:40pm
Well in that case, Apple is definitely in the wrong for using those ads to mock Microsoft so that they get more customers.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2009 at 7:44pm
Well funny enough I agree with both sides, on one side:

I strongly believe that companies should have some ethics, at the same time, if I were to boycott every company that didn't use ethics, then I pretty much would not be able to use any company.

these days companies only care about money, ethics is pretty much last on the list, if anybody here thinks that if tables were turned, amd would not be doing such things, is just kidding themselves.

I'm sure if we look at amd's operation real close we will find bunch of unethical things also.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2009 at 7:45pm
I would agree that no one is immune from being ethically challenged in this industry.  It's all about money... right?  And there you have it.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2009 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by tman5890

Well in that case, Apple is definitely in the wrong for using those ads to mock Microsoft so that they get more customers.

a true champ never needs to win by making others look bad, instead a true champ beats the best while the best is in its best condition.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2009 at 7:51pm
I agree 100% percent, DST4ME.  This is my point.  We all will purchase from whomever meets our needs, not necessarily because we agree with their trade practices or their approach to the market, but because it meets needs and caters to personal preferences.  We can make our statements and not purchase and go somewhere else if we choose, afterall, that is the ultimate statement you can make.  But, in the end ethics are ethics and they apply to each and every one of us.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2009 at 8:01pm
Yup I agree with everything you are saying, I try to make my statment by finding another company I trust, for example here I find DS to be a great company with much ethics from what I can tell.

I hate my isps here, comcrap is the worst so I went to another place and they are all crap
Zardoz8719 View Drop Down

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2009 at 6:12am
There's "ethics"...and there's "situational ethics" .  One is steady...the other fluctuates by (situation) how much you can get away with.  

A TV commercial for a brokerage firm said; "difficult situations don't develope "character" they expose it."  Evil%20Smile
AbsiNthe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote AbsiNthe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jun 2009 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

Well funny enough I agree with both sides, on one side:

I strongly believe that companies should have some ethics, at the same time, if I were to boycott every company that didn't use ethics, then I pretty much would not be able to use any company.

these days companies only care about money, ethics is pretty much last on the list, if anybody here thinks that if tables were turned, amd would not be doing such things, is just kidding themselves.

I'm sure if we look at amd's operation real close we will find bunch of unethical things also.

Except for DSO of course Embarrassed
widdlecat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote widdlecat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2009 at 12:36am
Originally posted by DST4ME

[...]these days companies only care about money, ethics is pretty much last on the list, if anybody here thinks that if tables were turned, amd would not be doing such things, is just kidding themselves.

On the contrary. Many companies do not throw ethics aside in order to profit. As a matter of fact, good business practices instill a desire for ethics simply as a means to avoid getting into trouble in the future. To lump all businesses into the same category as Intel or, say, one of the big polluters who prefer paying fines over disposing of waste properly, is a bit cynical. That definitely smacks of saying DSO would cheat people just to make a buck.

As for AMD, their business practices in the past have held onto the concept of providing an alternative product for lower prices. They have managed to stay clean and IMO have been cheated several times in the past by deals that Intel made with them regarding shared technology. Note that most of the shared technology has come from AMD.

Finally, as for boycotting unethical businesses, I do what I can to make my personal statement by refusing to buy products from the worst polluters, those who treat other humans unfairly, and those who leverage other businesses out whenever possible. I buy my groceries from a local store rather than from wal-mart. I buy much of my clothes from anywhere but walmart. I haven't intentionally bought intel products, but they are everywhere... so not 100% certain. I avoid many cleaners and use recycled paper products. If Obama was truly serious about his speech regarding Israel and Palestinians, he'd pressure Israel to give the land back that Intel paid to have their plants built.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2009 at 1:36am
I'll just say that all big businesses have one goad first, and thats money and not ethics so every single big company at some point has broken some ethics in order to do what its there to do which is make money.

Unless we know every aspect of AMD, which we don't, then to stay AMD has stayed clean is only an opinion based on little info, which then makes that opinion a weak one.

that IMO you keep saying is a big IMO, and my IMO and your IMO don't mean zilch to reality of how big companies are run and the fact that we don't' know the whole picture to sit here and say one company is clean and one is not, otherwise a thief is only a thief if they get caught, which we know is BS, if you steal you are a thief, whether you get caught or not, and if you know how big companies are run then you know the smart money is on the fact that if you dig you will find things you don't agree with ethically.

BTW your walmart sells groceries? around here they don't, not that I would buy it from them anyways.

I agree with some of the points you are making, but knowing that business's first goal is money, otherwise it can't exist, then it becomes obvious that at some point the ethics line has to be crossed in order to stay in business, specially when you are big one, like Intel, IBM, AMD and etc.

OPTi Receives Ruling in Markman Hearing in Patent Infringement Action Against Advanced Micro

On November 15, 2006, the Company announced that it has filed a
complaint against AMD, in the Eastern District of Texas, for
infringement of its U.S. patents covering its "pre-snoop" technology.
The two patents currently at issue in the lawsuit are U.S. patent No.
5,710,906 and U.S. patent No. 6,405,291, both entitled "Predictive
Snooping of Cache Memory for Master-Initiated Accesses". The complaint
alleges that AMD infringes the patents by making, selling, and
offering for sale products based on and incorporating Predictive
Snooping technology in various of its products and inducing and
contributing to the infringement of the patents by others.

In the ruling, the Court adopted OPTi's proposed construction with
respect to 4 of the 5 items at issue and rejected both parties
construction on the fifth item. OPTi is requesting an award of damages
for the infringement of its technology and for reimbursement of its
litigation expenses.

Bernie Marren, President and CEO, of OPTi stated, "We are pleased
with the Markman hearing ruling and remain confident in our position
concerning AMD's infringement of the patents in dispute."

thats just one, dig more and find more no business is an angel, it goes against being a business.

Edited by DST4ME - 05 Jun 2009 at 2:20am
 Post Reply Post Reply