Page  123 7>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Exclusive Digital Storm Case Design Ideas
    Posted: 08 Oct 2007 at 9:42pm

Digital Storm is looking into developing two series of cases. A high-end and a mid-range chassis.

What would you like and dislike on a case? Feel free to post pictures, ideas, thoughts, designs and who knows, we might even choosing some of them! Wink
sundowner View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote sundowner Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2007 at 10:34pm
"Lightning" case
-transparent case, or black case with lightning storm cascading along one side while other has clear panel.
-120mm fans on the front, back, and side.
-cpu temp/gpu temp/case temp gauges on the front on a lcd type screen.
-10x24x24
-pop out panel(audio/usb) like on the pro case, but ontop of the case.

"Thunder" case
-black/silver case
-120mm fan on front and back but with a side vent such as on the extreme
-9x22x24
-removable door covering front portion of computer.
-cpu/ram usage meters above cd/dvd drives

Edited by sundowner - 08 Oct 2007 at 10:35pm
Pro case with extra fan
Quad Q6600 2.4 OC'd 3.1!
Nvidia 8800GT
Asus Maximus Formula Mobo
2xgb 800mhz corsair

xfire - xuntiltheendx
Kyriani Agrivar View Drop Down

Quote Kyriani Agrivar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2007 at 11:13pm
cases that are unique tend to stand out in my mind

there was one case I think DS used to use but doesnt anymore that had a door on the front which was two panels that parted revealing the cd bays and power switch etc. stuff like that is pretty nifty imo

anything that takes the case away from the hum drum same old designs is prob a good way to go (also being mindful of air flow etc in the design)
Vajra: Kyri... Just how many men are you involved with?
Kyriani: That depends Vajra, do you mean men as in males? Or just humans?
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2007 at 11:59pm

Just so we all have a better idea,

midrange=  ~$100ish?
highend= ~$250ish?

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 12:05am
Sounds good! Also, everyone can post case designs they like and why etc. We want to build the ultimate case.
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 12:17am
Alienware P2 Chassis is just freaking brilliant (only reason why I would ever get a PC from Alienware)

I love a case with easy accessible front I/O ports.
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 12:50am

Personally I love the exterior of the TJ09. The interior is excellent too, but, I like certain interior parts of the Stacker 832 and certain interior parts of the new Cosmos as well.

sundowner View Drop Down

Quote sundowner Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 12:55am
The bottom of the voodoo blackbird is a really interesting addition to help with airflow.

also i've noticed with some of the newer cases, such as a few of the thermaltakes they have a removable motherboard section. take the section out, install your mobo and slide it back in.

Edited by sundowner - 09 Oct 2007 at 12:57am
Pro case with extra fan
Quad Q6600 2.4 OC'd 3.1!
Nvidia 8800GT
2xgb 800mhz corsair

xfire - xuntiltheendx
Crulend View Drop Down

Quote Crulend Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 1:43am
Ditto on the Blackbird.  That has got to be the best looking case ever, plus it looks like it's got good internals.

I think most well modeled computers (or even larger electronic appliances) remind me of good looking cars.  Sleek, but with muscle and some sharp edges here and there for contrast..
1KW Thermaltake
C2D QX6800 @ 3.46 Ghz
4 GB Corsair DMTR @ 1066
2x8800 GTX in SLI
2x150 Raptors in RAID0
2x500 Caviars in RAID0
Creative XtremeGamer
Samsung 305T 30" LCD
Creative S750 7.1 700W

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 3:24am
Completely missed that this was to be two *original* designs, lol.

Some minor things I like or dislike..

features:
Love the top mounted pop up access on the TJ-09 for the usb/audio/ieee1394
really like a removable motherboard tray
real fan grills. I don't care for stamped grills. It's knit-picky, but they just don't convey a sense of quality.
Plastic.... I hate plastic parts.
Front door-  Not a big fan of these. A half door that could block the power and reset buttons from being accidentally hit would be ok, but I dislike doors that obstruct the DVD/CD trays.

Styling:
I agree with Crulend that sportscars are a good thing to take styling cues from. I also like the lines on supersonic combat aircraft. It's a similar thing. There are hard edges, but complimented by curves.

Random thoughts (I'm no engineer, so I have no idea how practical any of this is):

Never seen a case with any sort of conduit designed into the case specifically to hide/run cabling/wires, but with windowed cases becoming more common, I wonder if this is something that makes sense. No need to look for places to hide wiring if you have something to do that designed into the case.

Top mounted fans to cool internal drive cages without drawing the air through to the rest of the components behind them?

Maybe intakes to either side on the front of the case, with the cage isolated from those intakes to draw air to the rear of the case independently?

One of my favorites stylistically (Thermaltake's Kandalf LCS):

Edited by Tyler Lowe - 09 Oct 2007 at 3:45am
sundowner View Drop Down

Quote sundowner Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 4:01am
Gauges or lcd screens should definitely be a key part to the initial designs. You want to know how hot things are getting and if all your PC's resources are being used up. if the case has these things on them, it's less programs you have to worry about.
Pro case with extra fan
Quad Q6600 2.4 OC'd 3.1!
Nvidia 8800GT
2xgb 800mhz corsair

xfire - xuntiltheendx
Bigdog View Drop Down

Quote Bigdog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 10:40am

If you have liquid cooling, how do you know when you need to fill it up again?  Or do you just wait till your temp. gauge starts rising?  would be nice if it had a meter of some sort on the case so you know when you need to put more liquid in.

Processor: QX6850 (3.3Ghz)
RAM: 4GB 1066 Dominators
Graphics: 2x 8800GTX 768MB
Sound Card: Fatal1ty
HDD 1: 2x 150GB raptor (RAID 0)
HDD 2: 1x 150GB raptor
HDD 3: 320GB western
Liquid cooling (red)

Quote Kyriani Agrivar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 12:49pm
ok this is a bit out there and i am fairly low tech sorta person so this idea could be considered stupid but...

While liquid cooling is something far beyond my needs or price range it's a fairly nifty looking system especially with clear casings. If some sort of luminescent agent could be added to the cooling fluid to make it glow I bet that would probably make it look really cool inside. (sorta like the fluid in those halloween glowsticks). Since you do have to periodically change the fluid when the glow has faded you could just refill to replenish it.

I am sure there might be some technical or cost reasons why this is a bad idea but I figured I'd just toss it out there cause the idea of multiple glowing tubes of goo inside a machine makes me think all sci-fi and stuff :)
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 2:49pm
Good stuff guys. For the wiring aspect, we are looking into having a wiring job come within the case that is hard wired into the chassis. Imagine if all your optical drive and hard drive connections were already installed and placed near their corresponding areas. We can then hide the wiring into the chassis!
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 3:29pm

We can make the liquid glow all the time with no maintenance. It involves using UV dyes and UV lights. We usually stayed away from this stuff because many customers did not want to go with a glowing machine. They wanted a professional, slick, "bad-ass" machine.

However, everyone's tastes are different, and we understand that as well.
Electro View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote Electro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 7:35pm
More categories to break up the discussion than ideas.

1. Window Vs. No Window.

2. Solid build construction. A book could be built on this but I am sure we all know what this means. No tin foil, no burrs, and no cuts,

3. Ability to accept multiple form factors of motherboards.

4. Powder coat vs. paint & clear coat.

5. Cable routing.

6. Shipping material AKA Out of the box to the boxen experience.

7. Storage capacity.

8. Feet

9. Serviceability - How easy is it to get drives, a motherboards and power supply out? Screwless design?

10.  Logo stamp, case badge, dye-sublimation, airbrushed logo, or vinyl sticker.

11. Expansion card securing method.

12. Thermal design. Liquid cooling options included. How quiet are the fans? Most liquid cooling is not a part of the case design but the tube routing, pump mounting are a part.

13. Sound dampening materials?

14. Getting away from the box.

15. Out of the box ideas.

As for my answers?

1. Options make the client much happier.

2. All depends on who is making the case. Obviously DS is not a metal fabrication company but will be ordering from a respected case ODM with their specs.

3. ATX, Micro ATX, BTX, Mini-ITX, Micro-BTX. The question is can we get custom motherboard trays?

4. Powder coat is tough as nails. The color options are vast. Check out http://www.exoticcoatings.com/colors.html for examples.

5. Sounds like Alex has some good ideas.

6. Anyone ever open a Mac Book Pro vs. any PC? The MBP makes you feel like you purchased something special just by the way they package.

7. As drive sizes grow at alarming rates with low prices...do you factor that cost in? When was the last time you saw a case with more than 2 optical drives in it? Why do cases still come with 3,4, or more slots? Floppy drive? NO!...but yes to card reader unless that is built in to the case.

8. This is a small touch but one that matters. I like options such as Casters, rubber feet, or indirect lighting via clear plastics.

9. A power supply bezel rocks my world. Motherboard trays are nice, and screwless design is always a plus. Why do all the plastics for securing screwless drive bays look ugly as hell?

10. I like Logo stamp...that to be spells out that you are not a fly by night company.

11. Screwless. I am sure you have seen this before....make it happen.

12. Examples of well thought out cases in this aspect...

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/Chassis/fulltower/tai-chi/tai_chi_index.asp

http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Chassis/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=2322

Combine the best aspects of each and you will note loose.

13. I personally think cases that are built right the first time to not need them. Thicker metal and tight fits trumps all.

14. Alex I will send you a idea I have. Too good of a idea.

15. LAN Handles, Passive heat fins, custom paint jobs, Soft touch clear coat, and such are niche and I think a solid case design with out too much bling will bring more attention than one with all the extras.

Edited by Electro - 09 Oct 2007 at 7:36pm
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 7:44pm
I do not think the case needs an lcd display. You have monitors and keyboards for that =\
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
Crulend View Drop Down

Quote Crulend Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 8:06pm

Unless you're running SLI and you want to check temps and %usage during gameplay.  I think it would be really neat if you could come up with a sleek display..  Perhaps some blue horizontal bars for CPU usage.  Just a quick glance and you could tell how it was doing.

1KW Thermaltake
C2D QX6800 @ 3.46 Ghz
4 GB Corsair DMTR @ 1066
2x8800 GTX in SLI
2x150 Raptors in RAID0
2x500 Caviars in RAID0
Creative XtremeGamer
Samsung 305T 30" LCD
Creative S750 7.1 700W
Electro View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote Electro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 8:24pm
While there is a demand for that...I would guess it to be a option than part of the initial case design. You have to design for the widest margin of your market. While DS has many gamers it would be unwise of them to design just for gamers. Leaving options for gamers is what you would want to do. 
Locklear93 View Drop Down

Quote Locklear93 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by Kyriani Agrivar

there was one case I think DS used to use but doesnt anymore that had a door on the front which was two panels that parted revealing the cd bays and power switch etc. stuff like that is pretty nifty imo

anything that takes the case away from the hum drum same old designs is prob a good way to go (also being mindful of air flow etc in the design)

Hey, Kyriani, it's An from DF!  Tell them I sent you here so they give me my referral, now that you ordered! ;)

On topic, the one thing I don't like about the case I got in my DS system (a CoolerMaster Praetorian) is the swinging door on the front.  Aesthetically, it's nice.  Functionally, it's eternally in the way, if I need access to the optical drive.

Actually... a second thing is that in my case, I'm going to have to find and install railings to fit a standard hard drive into a 5.25" bay, because the 8800 GTX is so big it completely blocks access to the proper bays.  Frontal access to the HDD bays, by one method or another, would help me immensely.
Dave View Drop Down

Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by sundowner

The bottom of the voodoo blackbird is a really interesting addition to help with airflow.

also i've noticed with some of the newer cases, such as a few of the thermaltakes they have a removable motherboard section. take the section out, install your mobo and slide it back in.

Omgz that is so preetyz Smile
X-Fire: OddityX1337
Yahoo: l33tz0rz1337
Rick Rolled Son!

Quote Kyriani Agrivar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by Locklear93

Originally posted by Kyriani Agrivar

Hey, Kyriani, it's An from DF!  Tell them I sent you here so they give me my referral, now that you ordered! ;)

On topic, the one thing I don't like about the case I got in my DS system (a CoolerMaster Praetorian) is the swinging door on the front.  Aesthetically, it's nice.  Functionally, it's eternally in the way, if I need access to the optical drive.

Actually... a second thing is that in my case, I'm going to have to find and install railings to fit a standard hard drive into a 5.25" bay, because the 8800 GTX is so big it completely blocks access to the proper bays.  Frontal access to the HDD bays, by one method or another, would help me immensely.

Anoushka I need the proper info to give them for the referal!
litemode View Drop Down

Quote litemode Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2007 at 9:31pm
A place for storing CD/DVDs would be nice, like a compartment on the top or something like some old HPs had. Or a place to put small things like PS/2 to USB, DVI-VGA adapters, keys, money, etc.

Also something thats quite extravagant would be like, little LEDs placed in the case, so if you work on it you can see better and not have to use a flash light or turn the lights on in the room. Could be like some that are fixed, and maybe some that are on an adjustable neck thing. Like mini snake lights.

Or a cup holder...Shocked

Edited by litemode - 10 Oct 2007 at 9:40pm
GruntMaster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GruntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2007 at 1:50am
My ideal case would have a simple closing door on the front that hid all the drives and buttons...so my 2 year old won't be tempted to hit the power switch while I'm gaming!

As mentioned in some of the earlier posts, I would like to see a tool-less design to the door...something that granted access with ease.

Since you offer internal lighting, the side panel should allow the light to show through some how.

Temp gauges would be of value to some...not eveyone knows how to view temps on-screen.

One other key thing is to put all ports and jacks at the top of the case and not at the bottom. Since most cases reside on the floor...it's lame to have to get out of your chair to plug in a headset because it's two inches off the ground...just put it at the top where it's with in reach. A good example is that kind of design is the Ultra case. Nicely done...just don't make the door drag on carpet.

E6850 [email protected]
nVidia 680i LT
750W Thermaltake
250GB HD
2GB DDR2 Corsair 800Mhz XMS2
GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB
thecomplex View Drop Down

Quote thecomplex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2007 at 10:00am
That Voodoo Blackbird case is beautiful - I would totally use that in a build. Although, I would prefer the weight to be more evenly distributed on the stand - it looks like it might wobble around?

Also - custom paint jobs! I.e., we upload a high-quality image file that gets painted onto the case. You could even have a template so we could drag and drop images on the top, sides, front, etc.. That would be out of control (and too expensive for me, I'm sure - but you can charge a premium, I'm sure there are some people willing to pay for this; it would result in unbelievable-looking machines..)

Chris
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 @ 3.52GHz
4GB DDR2 Corsair 1066MHz Dominator
(2) 150GB WD Raptor (10K RPM)
(1) 120GB Maxtor (7200RPM)
nVidia GeForce 8800GTX 768MB
Vista Home Premium 64
Bill the Cat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Forum Bitch!

Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2007 at 11:09am
DSO is actually thinking about bending sheet metal? Far out....

As far as utility goes, it would be pretty hard to improve on the EXTREME (aka TJ9), although it would be nice if you could make it cheaper.

The one dream feature I'd really like to see designed in a case would be "quick disconnect" back panel. I hate moving or working on my computers because of the rats nest of cables attached to the backs. I'd like to plug all the cables into this panel and then plug the panel on to the back of the case. How about just putting all the USB, mouse, keyboard, Ethernet, and audio cable connectors on the panel? That might actually be doable! Imagine being able to disconnect all that crap at once and keeping all the cable ends orgainized. You could still do the video (and any other expansion board) and power cables separately.
Bigdog View Drop Down

Quote Bigdog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2007 at 1:01am
Originally posted by Alex

Personally I love the exterior of the TJ09. The interior is excellent too, but, I like certain interior parts of the Stacker 832 and certain interior parts of the new Cosmos as well.

Alex, there is your case designe right there then.  take the greatest ideas from each case that has the best of this and that.  Then make a case that has all those great things. 

I didn't like the picture of that case that was shown on this topic.  isn't that the blackbird or something?  Anways, it looks like you need liquid cooling in that thing to actually cool off everything rather then using fans.

Why don't you guys try to do one of those lunchbox cases? have a handle on top so you can easily carry it with you, wether it's going to your friends, or a lan party, etc etc.

What about making a wave in the front of the case just for alittle added style.  Think about the the front near the top waving out and then the bottom it waves in, or the other way around.
Liquid cooling (red)
Bigdog View Drop Down

Quote Bigdog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2007 at 2:57pm
You could also do THEMED cases.  such as a tank or something, have a turret poking out from the top with a USB port in it or dual USB ports on the end and tracks on the bottom of the case.  eh that one might be cheezy but it's a thought.  depends on how you make it.

Do a CS:S or CS themed case, a BF2 or modern day case, etc etc.

Liquid cooling (red)
bfrank2me View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote bfrank2me Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2007 at 2:28pm
Here are some ideas for you...

http://www.bobiland.com/pictures/weird_pc_case.php
...the first hundred years are the hardest
Bigdog View Drop Down

Quote Bigdog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2007 at 9:06pm
OMG, I got just a great friggin idea for a new case designe.  Check this out.

Somewhere on the case you could name it..."Synthetic Darkness" or whichever works.

the whole outside shell of the case will be designed somewhere along the lines of "THE REAPER" AND A SKELETON.

on the front of it has a style like a ribcage, inbetween the ribcage the lights from the inside of the computer can be seen from the front.  Not to make it to bright so it's annoying but just alittle light or a dim light.  It also acts as a air source or a fan or two in there somewhere. 

That would be Extremely METAL!!! 
Liquid cooling (red)

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2007 at 9:21pm
Not so sure about how practical all those themed cases are, but they'd definately turn heads.

It might be possible to offer some sort of graphics screening done on the case windows for those interested in adding a theme or graphics. Similar to what is offered up at photo hosting sites where they offer to sell your picture on coffee cups and mouse pads, heh. Customers could submit a PNG image and have it screened onto the case perhaps. I'm not sure how practical this is either, but it could be a way to provide that personal style touch that some people really like.

Perhaps it could be combined in some way with thecomplex's idea for "graphics templates". Pre determined accents that could be selected within the configuration screen.

Edited by Tyler Lowe - 14 Oct 2007 at 9:21pm
Bigdog View Drop Down

Quote Bigdog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2007 at 10:16pm
hehe, I still like the whole ribcage thing on the front.  If they ever come out with something like that, I would probably get another computer from DS.  I put in a lot of money on this one, so if they did that to a case I would probably go more of a low range....bah who am I kidding LOL
Liquid cooling (red)
ed1371 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ed1371 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Oct 2007 at 1:50am
out of all the ideas I have read, a powdercoating option would be really nice...  I would assume that the percentage of customers that actually select the custom paint is low so I doubt that would ever happen but I can imagine how nice that would look!

Since you already use dangerden stuff, maybe a custom "waterbox" would be cool... get some lazer cut grills with the DS logo and some etching on the glass...

http://www.dangerden.com/store/image.php?type=D&id=220

Edited by ed1371 - 16 Oct 2007 at 1:52am
Silverstone TJ-10
INTEL 4790K
16 gigs ddr3
ssd and such
liquid cooled cpu
2080 RTX Super
p0ptart View Drop Down

Quote p0ptart Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Oct 2007 at 6:15pm
Along the lines of powdercoating ... Offer More Colors
More gamers are now female check out:
or a more recent
First thing my wife said when she looked at your cases.. "Do they come in any other colors besides black and silver?".
Second questin (after I showed her the red/blue options).  "Does that come in a light blue?" 

provide more color options for your cases... look what it did for the iPod :)

For bonus points I think a lot of "Gamer" cases remind me of teenage boys/hot wheels/transformers type of things.  Different shapes (ie. blackbird), rounded corners (think MAC), and cleaner lines will appeal to the new gamer/computer consumer who is :
a).   Becoming older (and wealthier)
b).   More likely to be female  <-- edited to remove smartalic remarkes like tyler's below LOL was            b) More Female

Edited by p0ptart - 17 Oct 2007 at 12:35am

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2007 at 12:13am
/me does a quick check to make sure I'm only getting older Big%20smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>