Post Date: 2008-07-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SunfighterLC View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Expert OC advice needed
    Posted: 23 Jul 2008 at 2:41pm
Alright well im still pretty newbie when it comes to OCing...ive only been doing it for a little over a month now on my DS machine. So i dont know very much. I had it up to 4.27 at one time, but it just got too unstable, so i settled it back to 3.8 for a while....but thats a huge morale killer...I want at least to be over 4. So ive set a FSB of 1700 trying to get just over a 4.

Now my questions....In the BIOS i set the core voltage to 1.3625 which feels very high to me. While CPUZ and core temp show the core voltages at much lower numbers. I believe in the picture CPUZ shows it at 1.3 or lower. Now i assume the better one to believe would be the BIOS, but i just wanna make sure. Its correct to believe the BIOS more then what CPUZ is saying..correct?

Anyways, my 1700FSB 4.0 overclock on the CPU failed after 16 minutes....Im somewhat hesitent to push the core voltages even higher I believe intel said the safe voltage for this CPU was only 1.3...so im wondering if its something else that needs more voltage... The FSB voltage is at 1.30.... 1.35 is still green, but anything over that is red....maybe i should raise that to 1.35?

Edited by SunfighterLC - 23 Jul 2008 at 2:42pm
E8500@ 4.03Ghz
XFX 790i Ultra
1000W Corsair HX
2 280 GTX EVGA FTW
4GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
250-80-300GB VR HD
Logitech Z-2300 2.1 Speakers
Asus Xonar 7.1
Hanns-G HG 281D 28" HDMI Monitor
TomD View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote TomD Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2008 at 2:55pm
I am no expert so won't try specific advice, but you may want to check out the EVGA forums. They have a section on the 790i MB with alot of good posts about OC with this board. It is essentially identical to your XFX board as both are NVidia reference boards.

When I was browsing the posts it seems the people with the best results were tweaking the GLTRev settings (probably have the accronym slightly wrong there - but there are 4 settings in the memory timings section) as well as some of the other MB components and memory timings. CPU Volts alone may not do it.

These boards are also known to have certain FSB "holes" so sometimes it won't work at 1500FSB but will work fine at 1600 for example.

Please post your results when done, I look forward to seeing how far you can push it as I have the same board.

Good luck!
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2008 at 1:44am

The first place to start when overclocking, is the white pages for your peocessor. Nevermind the green and red colors NVidia or EVGA decided on. Intel knows what they are doing with their own semi conductors, so that is the place to go first for information.

Get familiar with section 2.6 of that manual. This will tell you what your chip is rated to handle in terms of specific voltages. It is not a bad idea to give a little bit of room for some variation in the voltage applied to the CPU by staying at least 50mV under the maximum rated spec. Exceeding maximum specifications puts your chip at risk. 

After you have familiarized yourself with section 2.6, read up on section 5. This will explain in detail what the thermal specifcations for your processor are and where certain readings are optained, as well as how.

Your questions:
Yes, believe your BIOS. The value you see from your desktop is the value after "VDrop" which is what your voltage is actually at, regardless of where you had it set. "VDroop" is another commonly used term, and this refers to the futher voltage drop that occurs when a system is at 100% load. There is a somewhat complex reason this happens which has to do with the way a control voltage is applied to a doped semicomductor in a voltage regulator, such as those found in your motherboard. I posted a link to an explanation once, but frankly, unless you are a complete science geek, it's about as interesting to read as the residential listings in the phone book. The main thing is, go by your BIOS setting.

Your question regarding the FSB setting should be covered in the link above under electrical specification, 2.6.1. Remember to stay under those maximum figures by at a minimum, 50mV if you want to avoid potential harm to your system. That is my opinion, nothing written in stone, others may disagree, but there it is.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2008 at 2:48pm
You know i cant figure out that gibberish lol. One graph show the max at 1.3625 the other is like 1.46...i dunno which is right...lol.
E8500@ 4.03Ghz
XFX 790i Ultra
1000W Corsair HX
2 280 GTX EVGA FTW
4GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
250-80-300GB VR HD
Asus Xonar 7.1
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2008 at 3:56pm
But i want to get over 4 again!! lol it should be easy! its an E8500 for god sakes! haha. I just am not sure if i should go over the 1.3625 to get it stable for more then 15 minutes! I dont have that QX9770 yet...thats next month!
E8500@ 4.03Ghz
XFX 790i Ultra
1000W Corsair HX
2 280 GTX EVGA FTW
4GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
250-80-300GB VR HD
Asus Xonar 7.1
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2008 at 12:59am
VTT max is 1.45. That is outside normal operational limits for your FSB voltage and should be considered the threshold for risking permanent damage to your CPU.

VCC max is also 1.45 volts and the same applies.

May I suggest you just call DSO and ask for help?

Edited by Tyler Lowe - 26 Jul 2008 at 1:03am
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2008 at 5:47am
NEVER!!! Ill just play around with numbers till something works or bursts into flames. Thats the whole purpose of learning =P
E8500@ 4.03Ghz
XFX 790i Ultra
1000W Corsair HX
2 280 GTX EVGA FTW
4GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
250-80-300GB VR HD
Asus Xonar 7.1
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2008 at 10:11am
make sure that statement gets quoted when you attempt to call in your warrantyWink
 Post Reply Post Reply