FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fan control

Post Date: 2008-01-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Mythius101 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mythius101 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Fan control
    Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 1:04am
I need a utility that will dynamically change fan speeds depending on GPU temps.  Rivatuner does not support this option for SLI cards in Vista32 (only will control 1 card).  I'm going to try the nForce system tools 6.00 beta, but I was wondering if anyone had a different suggestion.
Vista Home Premium 32
Core 2 Quad Q6600
nVidia 680iA1
2GB Corsair Dominator RAM
2x SLI Dual GeForce 8800GTS 512MB
Creative Labs X-Fi Fatal1ty XtremeGamer
Mythius101 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mythius101 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 1:36pm
For anyone who cares:

This is apparently a tough thing to do if you run Vista32 and have SLI cards.  RivaTuner simply doesn't support SLI with the current Vista drivers, and therefore will only change fan speeds on one card.

The solution I've come up with is to use the nForce System Tools (beta) 6.00.  With this, you can control both card's fan speeds, save profiles, and then specify rules of when to load the profiles.  The biggest problem is that some of the arguments that you set in the rules have no effect at all and are completely ignored.  I've found that the best argument that you can set is actually the CPU activity.  I have my GPU fans set to run at 40% when the CPU has been inactive (or under little load) for more than 30 seconds, and to ramp up to 75% if my CPU has been active for more than 30 seconds.

Yes, it's a pretty crude way to go about setting fan speeds, but it seems to work well.  I wish the GPU temperature argument would work (I haven't had any luck with it) because that would be a lot better than linking GPU fan speeds to CPU activity.
Vista Home Premium 32
Core 2 Quad Q6600
nVidia 680iA1
2GB Corsair Dominator RAM
2x SLI Dual GeForce 8800GTS 512MB
Creative Labs X-Fi Fatal1ty XtremeGamer
 Post Reply Post Reply