FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fan curve question: When should my fans hit 100%

Post Date: 2021-08-10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Fan curve question: When should my fans hit 100%
    Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 6:24pm
Hey Folks. I just got my new Velox machine. It's a lovely PC. I'll post some pictures soon!

I noticed that the fans keep changing speeds when I'm doing really basic operations. For example, while idling the fans are only 600 RPM. However, if I do just about anything, like open a simple web page, the fan speed kicks up noticeably. This causes the fan speed to bounce up and down constantly while doing basic (non-gaming) tasks.

So, I started tweaking the fan curves. The default curves have the fans running at 600 RPM while idling, and they ramp up to 1500 RPM once the CPU hits 40 C. I changed the curve, so that it ramps up to full speed by 50 C. That fixed a lot of the fan speed fluctuation, but I'd still like to smooth it out.

I have a couple of questions:

1) What's a good temperature for 100% fan speed? I'd like to set it to the highest reasonable temperature, well within recommended CPU temperature limits.

2) Would there be much harm in lowering the max fan speed to something like 1200 RPM, rather than 1500 RPM? I guess I should just try, and see how hot it gets.

By the way, this is an air-cooled machine, with a huge Noctua NH-D15S cooler. It has an Intel 11900K CPU.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by JamesAstro - 10 Aug 2021 at 6:25pm
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 7:58pm
A hundred years ago, a really good friend to Digital Storm named bpratt recommended EVGA PrecisionX 16 to control and monitor, among other things, your fan speed.

I took his advice so many years ago and set the automatic fan control to this profile and I've never had a problem with over heating or any of my fans (other than the light on one finally burning out).

The pic is simply to show you where I'm at. (TBH setting your fan at 100% for 50° is going to remove all fluctuations because your fans are just set to max.)

1) Set max speed at 80°.. that way you have a chance to catch the temps before the bad stuff starts happening.

2) Why would you lower the max? The fans are rated for their lifetime at this power level.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 9:24pm
Thanks Snaike. That's exactly what I was looking for. I'll try that later tonight, and report back.

:)

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 9:26pm
Also, I'm using the Corsair Commander Pro for fan control. It let's me set the fan speed based on the CPU or GPU temp. I assume that using the CPU temp is recommended?
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2021 at 11:23am
The program Im using is set directly on the GPU. Since that is the part of the machine that is going to get the hottest the quickest, AFAIK. If your CPU starts hitting those kinds of temps there is a much bigger problem than fan speed....
 Post Reply Post Reply