FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fan Speed Application

Post Date: 2008-08-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
WeCanCallMeB View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote WeCanCallMeB Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Fan Speed Application
    Posted: 28 Aug 2008 at 10:47am
Just curious....

I'm not having any heat problems with my new DS rig (review to come), but I was interested in finding a program that would let me tweak the speeds of all of the fans in my case.  Just want to make sure they are fast enough, as someone said they default to 25% speed in the other thread.

Thanks guys!

Quote WeCanCallMeB Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2008 at 12:28pm
Any or all?  Just want to get maximum cooling.  Sound levels really don't bother me because most of the time i have my volume at outrageous levels LOL

I found a program called Speed Fan that looks OK...
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2008 at 12:38pm
Speedfan works fine. You do need to set your fans to manual/100% in the BIOS (assuming your mobo has an auto fan option that is currently enabled) for it to work as anything other than a temperature monitor. Further fan control can be achieved with RivaTuner or EVGA Precision which wuill allow you to set your graphics card fan speed (assuming the card supports variable fan speed).
Nickdapimp View Drop Down

Quote Nickdapimp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2008 at 1:01pm
Yeah I love setting my graphics card fan speed to 100% on gaming. The noise doesn't bother me since I'm using a headphone. RivaTuner is wonderful in my opininon for graphic card fan + SpeedFan for overall fans.

Quote WeCanCallMeB Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2008 at 1:53pm
Cool, thanks for the info, guys.  Yeah I have a nVidia 750i mobo, so I'm assuming it's compatible.  I'm sure my 260 GTX also has variable fan speeds. 

I'll download Speed Fan and RivaTuner and get those babies pumping out some cool.

Quote WeCanCallMeB Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2008 at 10:59am
So I downloaded Speed Fan and got it up and running.  All of my temperatures and sensors are working, but I am getting a funny reading.  When the computer was more or less idle, most of the sensors were reading between 35-45 degrees, which is all good as far as I am concerned (GPU, CPU, Sensor 1, Sensor 2, etc...).  However, the top reading, my "System" reading read 90 degrees!  Either this is incorrect, or something is running super hot.  I'm not getting any stuttering or slowing, so it seems like it couldn't be that hot.

Any ideas?  Maybe just a bad reading?
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2008 at 11:05am
you need to go into the advanced setup screen and change the offset for temp 1. You can get an accvurate reading by running the trial version of Everest Ultimate to calibrate Speedfan's motherboard temp. Once you change the offset, you should be good.

Quote WeCanCallMeB Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2008 at 11:40am
Thanks Tyler
 Post Reply Post Reply