FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

fan too loud

Post Date: 2021-01-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
HaoChen View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote HaoChen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: fan too loud
    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 8:43pm
I just got my new pc today and everything looks good, but one thing that annoys me is the sound of the fan seems to be very loud, no strange sound though. I changed the settings in bios but didn't really improve anything. Looks like the chassis fans are not controlled by the bios and their speed is constant. Does anyone have any ideas?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 4:03am
Depends what fan and where it’s plugged in.   Most case fans are plugged into the motherboard and bios sometimes works.   Motherboards also have their own fan control software, like Asus AI suite, FanXpert, for ASUS boards.

If it’s a Corsair product like fans for the liquid cooler, you can use Corsair ICUE software,   It works pretty good.

It’s possible a single loud fan is bad, bad bearing. Or your pump for the Corsair cpu cooler is defective.

Lots of variables .

Good luck.
HaoChen View Drop Down

Quote HaoChen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Depends what fan and where it’s plugged in.   Most case fans are plugged into the motherboard and bios sometimes works.   Motherboards also have their own fan control software, like Asus AI suite, FanXpert, for ASUS boards.

If it’s a Corsair product like fans for the liquid cooler, you can use Corsair ICUE software,   It works pretty good.

It’s possible a single loud fan is bad, bad bearing. Or your pump for the Corsair cpu cooler is defective.

Lots of variables .

Good luck.

Thank you. In bios all chassis fans' speeds are NA so I guess they are not plugged into the motherboard. And since all fans are always at full speed maybe they are connected to the power supply. What can I do with that?
HaoChen View Drop Down

Quote HaoChen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 7:22pm

Lots of variables .

Good luck.

Yes, just checked the motherboard and chassis fans are not connected to it.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 5:53am
Yep, makes sense the  fans aren't connected to the mobo.   I would trace the wires from the fan/s and see where DS plugged them in.  I doubt directly to a lead from the psu. 

You can unplug the fans from wherever they go and go to the mobo Fan headers that are marked Cha-Fan #, 1,2, etc..  Then use Bios to control them.

If the fans are run to a seperate controller behind the back cover, like a Corsair controller or a header you need to use that controllers software, like ICUE, for example. 

Use your mobo manual to locate what you need.

Good luck.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 6:10am
On  more option...you can buy fan reduction resister cables that go between the fan plug and the psu, etc.  It has an inline resistor in the cable that drops the voltage to the fan, meaning the speed.  You  can't control the speed but they do work to quiet fans running noisy because of rpm.   I've gotten mine from Amazon.  Just match the plug.

Good luck

HaoChen View Drop Down

Quote HaoChen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 11:22am

Yep, makes sense the  fans aren't connected to the mobo.   I would trace the wires from the fan/s and see where DS plugged them in.  I doubt directly to a lead from the psu. 
You can unplug the fans from wherever they go and go to the mobo Fan headers that are marked Cha-Fan #, 1,2, etc..  Then use Bios to control them.
If the fans are run to a seperate controller behind the back cover, like a Corsair controller or a header you need to use that controllers software, like ICUE, for example. 
Use your mobo manual to locate what you need.
Good luck.

I traced the wires and they are connected to a board that controls RGB lights and fans. What's weird is I can control RGBs with the PCB but it does nothing to fans.
 Post Reply Post Reply