FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Feedback on PC Build

Post Date: 2019-09-11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Scoregasms View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Scoregasms Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Feedback on PC Build
    Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 3:28pm
First, thanks in advance for any sage advice or help on this post :) It's been over 6 years since I last bought a PC and the landscape has certainly changed a lot! Would appreciate any help or guidance on my current DS Build. I'm still going to use my current PC for any non-gaming stuff, but this PC is pretty much going to be for Gaming only.   I have a NAS on my home network which I'll use for any long-term/large storage items. My current rig will still be used for Adobe CC and other non-gaming activities, but I may use this new machine for that too.

Expectations:
I plan to pair this machine with the Samsung CRG9 32:9 Monitor (5120 x 1440) along with a secondary 4K monitor that I use today. I may not use the 4K monitor, but I just like having another screen available while gaming (but it may just look ridiculous next to the Samsung). And yes, my desk is definitely big enough (in case anyone was wondering!). As far as games go, down the road, looking at Cyberpunk along with current games (just WoW and OW atm). I've only just got back into gaming so more may certainly be on the way. The ultrawide monitor will just be pushing a ton of pixels, so looking to get the most of that 120 Hz at Max/Ultra settings that I can.

Usage:
Primarily Gaming Only, possibly watching movies

Special Needs:
It's been a while since I did any research on PC parts, but specifically want to make sure Power, MoBo, Cooling and RAM choices are good or if there are better options to select. Also, I always tend to try and get the best CPU on a new PC, but maybe the 9900K is overkill?   

Saved Ticket #: 2579313

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) (16-Thread) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (RGB Light Bar)
Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Performance Series (Fully Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H115i PRO - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Corsair LL Series (RGB Fans) (Software Controlled Effects)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.7GHz on All CPU Cores
Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)

Quote Scoregasms Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 3:38pm
Whoops, forgot to mention that I also may want to use this for VR possibly if it starts to gain traction (though, my Oculus Rift is back in its box at the moment... haha)
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 4:58pm
Welcome Scoregasms!   Big 5K panel...!
I drive 3 x 24" monitors in a 5760 x 1200 that measures 60" across using one EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 Ultra... but not at 120 hz.   Yup you definitely need the RTX 2080 Ti.    Maybe 2x if you start adding more 4K monitors...lol.

Asus Mobo, Drives, Corsair LL fan upgrade, I9-9900K CPU and RTX 2080 Ti GPU are all solid excellent picks.   You might give a look at doing this build in a roomier Aventum X, but Velox will work just fine.

One RTX 2080 Ti GPU will do the job you need done very well... we don't recommend Overclocking the GPU just on air cooling alone as risk exceeds the small gain.    

Why not consider going HydroLux Pro on CPU + 1 GPU and Stage 2 OC that I9-9900X.    Your GPU likely would last longer max cooled properly, would safely OC the GPU to max it's performance...and your I9-9900K CPU at Stage 2 OC would max out it's Intel designed X Class performance potential.

I would recommend upgrading the PSU to the best Corsair AX1200i for all digital modular & Platinum level efficiency...plus the best 10 yr Corsair PSU warranty, and plenty of headroom to add another RTX 2080 Ti if you decide you want to.   DS Gold PSU just has a 1 yr warranty.     

Edited by HockeyBuck - 11 Sep 2019 at 5:05pm

Quote Scoregasms Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 5:35pm
Thanks for the quick reply HockeyBuck!

I made the changes with the exception of the Cooling one here:

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=2579533

I think that matches what you were describing and agree on not OC the GPU, just wasn't sure. This whole liquid cooling thing and this now default trend of see-through lighted interiors is somewhat new to me, lol.

I just don't know enough about the cooling systems in general to make a good call. The one you recommend seems to imply maintenance would be required? I guess my question is if the one I have selected will do the job to keep things cool.

Another friend of mine is swearing that the Copper Heat Pipe is the better option too, but couldn't give me a good reason why.

Re: the Aventum X, I'll check it out, but while the desk I'm planning to put this on is big, but with that monitor and the bigger Aventum chassis, not sure I can fit it all on there, lol.

Edited by Scoregasms - 11 Sep 2019 at 5:36pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 8:00pm
Config is looking very very good sir.    Yep the Corsair AIO cooler will work fine.   This build will get strong performance for you in gaming and in using Adobe programs in driving that rather huge Samsung CRG9 monitor. .Don’t forget you have some case color paint options possible with Velox or Aventum.

About full liquid cooling with a DS HydroLux Pro setup on CPU + 1 GPU.    
If you are looking for best performance from your top of the line CPU & GPU, the enemy is heat...and that is mitigated best by a pro cooling solution.     That means this kind of full liquid cooling system can achieve lower temps than a standard AIO sealed cooler can.     That is because wider diameter tubing, larger coolant reservoirs/ radiators and more powerful coolant pumps are used in a Hydro Lux Pro system, and a lot more total coolant can be utilized.     Generally, the only maintenance for many years would be simply topping off the coolant levels using a squeeze bottle.     Not really a big deal.    Someday you may need to change out coolant if it gets too dirty, but that’s a long long time away.    My DS rig is from 2012 and only top offs have been needed so far.    With AIO coolers you can’t top them off nor see the coolant clarity, so they become less efficient as normal evaporation or corrosion takes place over time.

If you do seriously consider going to HydroLux Pro, then I would also suggest considering going with the best liquid cool everything case on the planet to do it up big...Aventum X.     Custom fluid handling blocks & fluid ports built in, all quick disconnects, 3 big reservoirs ( 2 x 560mm and 1 x 280 mm). and 14 case fans keeping everything frosty cool.      Stick with flex tubing if you do go HydroLux Pro... much more forgiving to work with, or work around than hard line tubing of any kind.     The combination of HydroLux Pro and Aventum X would mean much better & more stable Overclocks than can be had in any other case.   

Your huge monitor would look perfect next to a big bold Aventum X...lol.   

Edited by HockeyBuck - 11 Sep 2019 at 8:11pm

Quote Scoregasms Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 7:26am
Thanks again HockeyBuck! One final question as I near that fateful moment to click that "Add to Cart" button.

Is the Corsair 850W Power Supply OK? I do not plan on adding another Video Card to this and it's a good way to save a bit on the build.

I'm not that pressed to 100% min-max the performance, the extra costs for the HyrdoLux cooling is a pretty big jump and you're right, I think the Aventum X would be the better chassis for that for sure, just think that's a bit outside my total budget considering I also need to buy the Monitor too :)

Ok, bonus question, is the 20-25 Business Day shipping pretty accurate or is it generally faster or longer than that estimate? I like that they spend the time to QC, Stress and meticulously build the machine, but just want to gauge when I can realistically expect this PC so I can prep other stuff for it.

Thanks again, I really appreciate all the help on this!
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 9:56am
Glad to help you polish up this nice Velox build!   

Yes the 850 w Corsair Gold efficiency modular PSU will do nicely, and has a 5 yr mfg warranty.

On the time schedule, Back to School business probably has them a bit behind, and that is 20-25 business days (M-F) to ship.    Good hand built products take time..   It will all be worth the wait.    You will get Stage notices via Email as the build progresses through the process.     Let us know how it goes for you, and drop us a photo when it arrives!    Waiting is the hardest part!     

Edited by HockeyBuck - 12 Sep 2019 at 9:57am

Quote Scoregasms Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 10:52am
Ha, I'm definitely starting to get excited. I think I'm going with this as the final build:

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=2580291

I bumped the CPU OC back to Stage 1, I'll monitor heat and tune the OC myself if I don't see anything too worrisome.

These forums are a great help! I'll definitely post again with pics once it's arrived too.
Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 2:02pm
Here is my timeline for a new Lumos build. Machine has not yet shipped as of 9/12/19.

Order placed: 8/14/19
Stage 1: 8/15/19
Stage 2: 8/29/19
Stage 3: 9/3/19
Stage 4: 9/7/19
Stage 5: 9/9/19
Stage 6: Pending

Quote Scoregasms Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 2:31pm
Ah, thanks Bob100. That's helpful. So, pretty much the 20-25 Business Day estimate then since it seems like and you are super close to the finish line.

Grats! I hope it comes soon!!
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 5:11pm

After Stage 1 order processing, they literally begin to fill a bin with all of your orders required parts.    If DS is waiting on certain parts coming in, things can hang up here but it won’t just be you waiting...lol.     Assembly won’t commence until the parts list is complete.    Things will progress more regularly after that.    No worries...it’s going to get built right and properly stress tested at full load before they send it to you.
If any of your components fail, they will start the whole build over with all new parts.

Quote Scoregasms Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 8:12am
And it's been ordered! Now the wait begins
 Post Reply Post Reply