Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Zardoz8719 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Fence sitter
    Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 5:25pm

Ok, Alex...you asked what it's going to take to get me to buy a computer today...and after some thought I came up with this:  I was waiting for a "clean install" of Windows 7 in Oct...or at least (wait) until after July 2nd (when supposidly there are free upgrade coupons for systems purchased after that date?).  Was thinking,  If you can promise me a free upgrade coupon somewhere down the road/whenever they come out (now to Oct is fine)...and give me your best price on a crate...I'll order in the next day or two (after giving the forum time to look over my configuration.  

@ DST4ME   Ticket # 294168

Primary use: Games
Secondary use: huummm, Games also...with a little movie watching/word processing
 regular stuff...

Ooopps...hit the wrong key and this thing posted before I could finish...I'm back though.

As for "resolution" 1920x1200...

I know there are a few frills in here...Blu-ray Player/DVD writer...
and upgraded the fans to LED Performance fans...and LCD Temperature Display & Fan Controller... 

Please to look over and give me you assessment/verdict....Angry

Edited by Zardoz8719 - 14 Jun 2009 at 9:39pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 5:46pm
ok looks great, but:

since you have LC on everything no need for the upgrade fan and lcd temp disp. as in absolutly none.

other then that just add the fan for the ram.

nice build

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

ok looks great, but:

since you have LC on everything no need for the upgrade fan and lcd temp disp. as in absolutly none.

other then that just add the fan for the ram.

nice build
Ok, ok...I'll drop the upgraded fans with the LCDs...I had read that they were "quieter" than the stock ones--any truth to that??

And...knew you would say that about the Temp display...ha, ha...Smile

I'm really looking at trying to eliminate as much noise as possible--I know it's an uphill battle.  Any sense in going with an Enermax Reveloution PSU...last review I read said they were +90% efficient...and tops in "quiet"??  Maybe, there's not much difference between it and the corsair???

Am planning on running/alternating between (2) monitors...with resolutions of 1680x1050...and...1920x1200...will check with you later on how I might go about hooking up two at once--so that I could switch between the two...reason being one is the Samsung 3D monitor...

Saw where you recommend 3x2GB for memory will go with that too.

I liked the post from Phil@Fostini..."called "Liquid cooling made easier for the undecided OC's"...  Hoping his example/hookup is SOP for DSO...or is it a requested thing?? 

Thanks for the checkie check on the config.....really appreciated...

I don't mind if you post my configuration/ticket #...like anyone elses...don't want others to feel I'm not interest in there comments--I am....  Thanks again.  Ermm

Edited by Zardoz8719 - 14 Jun 2009 at 6:15pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 6:50pm
My pleasure

lol temp display is for the upgraded fans, the stock fan is more quiet then the upgraded fans at full speed.

the corsair they have is the silent edition.

switch between monitors via kvm switch.

phill requested a few parts from what I understood.

I didn't make a ticket since the only changes I had to make were the ones I mentioned

Edited by DST4ME - 14 Jun 2009 at 6:51pm

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 9:08pm

My pleasure

lol temp display is for the upgraded fans, the stock fan is more quiet then the upgraded fans at full speed.

the corsair they have is the silent edition.

switch between monitors via kvm switch.

phill requested a few parts from what I understood.

I didn't make a ticket since the only changes I had to make were the ones I mentioned

By golly...learn something everyday here...didn't know that about the temp display and upgraded fans--now I see the humor  SmileSmile

Probably not a big deal on the (difference between Corsair) Enermax PSU...was curious about the article/and remembered Bill Dempsy having mentioned/wanting one...

I'll google the "kvm switch" thing...that will give me something to do while waiting to see what Alex says Pinch about my request?? 

Phil's description of his LC with "T" connecters , placement of resevoir below, etc... sounded logical/thought out...and he said he really likes it.  Will see if I can get DSO to gen me up something similar. 

All in all...it's been a long time coming...ordering this computer...and aside from being a DAILY though in the back of my mind....I never felt a nervous twitch.  Funny, now that I'm actually going through the process--I feel like a cat on a hot tin roof--long time since I've been this nice to myself  Approve 

Any other suggestions--on anything--are always welcome....thanks again. Dead
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 9:22pm
I was just thinking and you can switch monitors via Nvidia control panel.

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 9:42pm

I was just thinking and you can switch monitors via Nvidia control panel.

Sounds good (I'm taking notes  Smile) .  I updated my Ticket # in first post to reflect the changes you suggested...much thanks 
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 9:44pm
you are very welcome
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2009 at 2:01am
I'd love to give you the upgrade coupon if we had them now. However, hang on and wait until they are officially released before you place your order then. I don't want to complicate things.

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2009 at 6:21am
Originally posted by Alex

I'd love to give you the upgrade coupon if we had them now. However, hang on and wait until they are officially released before you place your order then. I don't want to complicate things.

Not a problem...and don't want to confuse/compromise anything on your end either.  Thanks for the connect and consideration...I can wait a few more days Broken%20Heart 

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 6:05am
@ DST4ME...  Got to thinking about your "Single-PCB GTX 295" card and wondering if going with it vs. (2) 275's are there advantages?  Price wise, the difference between the 295 and 2x275's is roughly $150... and if you LC the CPU/GPU the difference (is reduced) by about $100...(just one GPU).  Considering the cost to be a wash (close enough anyway...) is the savings in potential HEAT one GPU vs two...worth considering?  And, is the concept of eliminating "SLI" (since not all games use it) for a single beefy GPU a good idea?  And lastly, how would this effect FPS and game performance...which would be the BEST choice from a gaming perspective??  Pinch   Since I'm planning on LC'ing the GPU's was curious when I read this in the EVGA release of the Single-PCB GTX 295..."EVGA also plans to sell separately a waterblock for the new card called the Hydro Copper.  The Full-cover copper waterblock ships with both 3/8-inch and 1/2-inch barbs and includes "an extreme high flow path design with a unique, integrated, pressure point."  Sounds interesting...Dead
aias49 View Drop Down

Quote aias49 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 9:39am
very good questions. I am also curious. Hug
Ticket #266218
HAF 932 Case
Core I7 920 @ 3.4 GHz
GTX 295, 500 GB HDD
6 GB Mushkin Ram
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 11:32am
the 295 whether single PCB or dual PCB is in sli. its got 2 cores in there if you will still.

my reason for waiting for single PCB is mainly to see if I can fit 4 x single PCB 295 on the classified, dual PCB won't fit for sure, they won't fit on air so they have to be LCed.

now the 295 is $150 more, but I'm confused about your LC on GPU comment:

1. if you are talking about LCing one 275, well one 275 performance is no where near a performance of one 295.

2. if you LC 2 x 275 the price goes way high.

for games that don't support sli 2 x 275 will do better.

at the end 2 x 275 is the best choice for gamers no matter how you look at it.

Edited by DST4ME - 16 Jun 2009 at 11:33am
e.fruman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote e.fruman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 11:36am
295 is two 275's =]
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 11:37am
no 295 is 2 x 260 gtx, with core processor of 280 x 2. every other aspect of it match a 260.

its performance is less then 2 x 275

Edited by DST4ME - 16 Jun 2009 at 11:39am

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 12:09pm

the 295 whether single PCB or dual PCB is in sli. its got 2 cores in there if you will still.

my reason for waiting for single PCB is mainly to see if I can fit 4 x single PCB 295 on the classified, dual PCB won't fit for sure, they won't fit on air so they have to be LCed.

now the 295 is $150 more, but I'm confused about your LC on GPU comment:

1. if you are talking about LCing one 275, well one 275 performance is no where near a performance of one 295.

2. if you LC 2 x 275 the price goes way high.

for games that don't support sli 2 x 275 will do better.

at the end 2 x 275 is the best choice for gamers no matter how you look at it.

(1)...the 295 whether single PCB or dual PCB is in sli.  it's got 2 cores in there if you will still..."  You're right...my "mental" picture of two cards with a ribbon connector between them...doesn't really represent (all) SLI possibilities does it.  Just got lost in the number of "cards" vs. number of "chips"... therefore, 4-chips on one card is (in reality) a "Quad" SLI by your definition--right.

(2)...Your having/putting 4 single PCB 295's into one HAF case would really be called Octo-SLI??   And, you mention..."they won't fit on air so they have to be LCed...  Saying they "won't fit"...isn't a matter of "size" (cuz, if they're in there--they "fit") but more a matter of "HEAT"...cuz, these puppies jammed together have got to put out some thermal energy--therefore, (absolutely) need LC...  Is that a correct assumption/observation??

3.  My LC/GPU comment...and the difference in cost was strictly from the configuration sheet--LC'ing 1-CPU and 2-GPU's (275's) vs. the cost of 1-CPU and 1-GPU (295...either single or double).  I just used the price given for the "red" version to come up with the difference in cost between the two versions/possibilities.  Hope that's a bit more clear...

4.  Your "for games that don't support SLI  2 x 275's  will do better"   Huh??  Censored  Help me here...arn't 2 x 275's (by being "2") by definition SLI ??  And, if they are "SLI"...how are they better for games that don't support SLI??  Or, is it an ability to "switch" between single and SLI when you have 2 x 275's.   Please to forgive, my convoluted thinking/writting...I'm sure someone else could do better--and probably define "quantum mechanics" too within the same space I just took.  Big%20smile

5.  Now, I think I understand your last point...  And, that's I should quit going through all these machinations...just get 2 x 275's and call it day Embarrassed   The final thought being...I'm not you...and I probably don't need a sophisticated "single PCB 295" with a new/improved full-cover copper waterblock with high flow path design and unique, integrated, pressure point anyway Smile Smile Smile

Edited by Zardoz8719 - 16 Jun 2009 at 12:11pm
Kaleliar View Drop Down

Quote Kaleliar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 12:09pm
DST, its 240x2 not 280.  and its actually more than the 260's, they have either 192 or 216 cores. (I had a 216).  So think of the 275 as a more powerful half of the 295. 2x275 is better than 1x295 because its newer. (opinion)

And EVGA just added a 1792MB version of the 275, so.. who wants 5.4GB Video RAM?

Edited by Kaleliar - 16 Jun 2009 at 12:17pm
Rock: "We're sub-standard DPS. Nerf Paper, Scissors are fine."
Paper: "OMG, WTF, Scissors!"
Scissors: "Rock is OP and Paper are QQers. We need PvP buffs."
Kaleliar View Drop Down

Quote Kaleliar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 12:16pm
Essentially the way it worked on my old machine before i got a 260 GTX superclocked, The game just didnt use my other one but i had it setup that way (to auto detect if a game would use the other 8800GTX).  Sorta the same as my 4870x2. Only problem i run into is windowed mode on WoW. 

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Kaleliar

Essentially the way it worked on my old machine before i got a 260 GTX superclocked, The game just didnt use my other one but i had it setup that way (to auto detect if a game would use the other 8800GTX).  Sorta the same as my 4870x2. Only problem i run into is windowed mode on WoW. 

Thanks for the info on the new EVGA 275....   And, was just wondering...how do you setup "autodetect" for SLI.  Forgive what may be a simple question (?) because never having SLI I'm really flying blind till I get a new rig.  But, in the interest of wanting to know--when I do get it--any tips?  I'll take notes  Wacko
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 12:50pm
1. 295 is in dual sli, if we are talking sli, its like 2 x 260 in one card, quad sli would be 2 x 295.

2. it is a matter of size, on air they are too thick and won't fit, I'm hopping sine single pcb is a little thinner with the help of LC they would fit. and yes octo sli. if 4 did fit on air, heat is defenitly something to think about.

3. here on DS:

2 x 275 LCed = $3481

1 x 295 LCed = $3611

the above is a single loop for cpu and gpu/s

4. games that don't support sli, you will have to disable sli, disable sli in 295 and you get performance of one 260 basically, disable sli in 2 x 275, you get one 275 which will do better then 295 with sli disabled.

5. for anybody other then me 2 x 275 is the best choice, more performance in sli or sli disabled and cost less.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 12:54pm

DST, its 240x2 not 280.  and its actually more than the 260's, they have either 192 or 216 cores. (I had a 216).  So think of the 275 as a more powerful half of the 295. 2x275 is better than 1x295 because its newer. (opinion)And EVGA just added a 1792MB version of the 275, so.. who wants 5.4GB Video RAM?

the 240 core comes from a 280 gtx, I think you misunderstood what I meant.

a 295 is a 260 gtx and a 280 gtx :

Edited by DST4ME - 16 Jun 2009 at 12:57pm

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 1:38pm

1. 295 is in dual sli, if we are talking sli, its like 2 x 260 in one card, quad sli would be 2 x 295.

2. it is a matter of size, on air they are too thick and won't fit, I'm hopping sine single pcb is a little thinner with the help of LC they would fit. and yes octo sli. if 4 did fit on air, heat is defenitly something to think about.

3. here on DS:

2 x 275 LCed = $3481

1 x 295 LCed = $3611

the above is a single loop for cpu and gpu/s

4. games that don't support sli, you will have to disable sli, disable sli in 295 and you get performance of one 260 basically, disable sli in 2 x 275, you get one 275 which will do better then 295 with sli disabled.

5. for anybody other then me 2 x 275 is the best choice, more performance in sli or sli disabled and cost less.

As usual...you've cleared up some s-t-u-f-f for me...#4 and #5...makes sense (to me) now.

On a different matter...just this morning I was wondering...who are these people who play games at max settings...at resolutions of 2560 x 1600...and just what kind of monitors are they using and what do they cost?? 

Thing is...I really don't have much of a reference as to what I'm missing...or not missing...when comparing my resolution of 1900x1200 to the big boys using 2560x1600.  I remember, the Dell ads showing different monitors by screen size...and how much more of a certain picture you would get to see if you bought the 20" version vs. the 17" montior...  But, when it comes to same size screen and increased resolution...just what does a 1900x1200 look like sitting next to a 2560x1600?? 

Once upon a time, I was happy in my ignorance of montiors...now, I'm beginning to feel deprived cuz I don't have one capable of higher resolutions.  Smile  Anybody got a pictorial representation of such a comparison??

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 2:17pm
the higher the resolution the more detailed and clear the screen is.

if you have the GPU power why not set the game to high settings, but if you are happy at a certain setting, then stick with that.

a Dell 3007WFP-HC should run you like $1100 and has 2560 x 1600 resolution.
inferno23 View Drop Down

Quote inferno23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 2:20pm
he check this website i found online tell me their not charging you 4k for a paint job

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 3:40pm

the higher the resolution the more detailed and clear the screen is.

if you have the GPU power why not set the game to high settings, but if you are happy at a certain setting, then stick with that.

a Dell 3007WFP-HC should run you like $1100 and has 2560 x 1600 resolution.

"the higher the resolution the more detailed and clear the screen is"...Gotcha, I get the same result when I put my glasses on now Smile

Guess I was thinking--like the chicken and the egg--which came first?  Does one just happen to buy Quad-GPUs...and then start looking through ads for a high res monitors...or vice versa  Big%20smile    Probably, more like one day you get out of bed...and you think to yourself...hey, I'm worth it....I deserve it...I'm going to get me a new rig--AND a big new monitor to go with it  Confused

Thing is...one thing escalates the other...good GPUs--need a good monitor...good Monitor--needs good GPUs...  Oh, yeah, both of them things cost (a lot) more too don't they  Wink

Well, there's still several days till the Windows coupons come out...maybe I'll browse around and check out monitors--just looking can't hurt--right.Shocked  

Edited by Zardoz8719 - 17 Jun 2009 at 6:12am

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by inferno23

he check this website i found online tell me their not charging you 4k for a paint job

What web site would that be...??Evil%20Smile
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Zardoz8719

the higher the resolution the more detailed and clear the screen is. if you have the GPU power why not set the game to high settings, but if you are happy at a certain setting, then stick with that. a Dell 3007WFP-HC should run you like $1100 and has 2560 x 1600 resolution.

"the higher the resolution the more detailed and clear the screen is"...Gotcha, I get the same result when I put my glass on now Smile

Guess I was thinking--like the chicken and the egg--which came first?  Does one just happen to buy Quad-GPUs...and then start looking through ads for a high res monitors...or vice versa  Big%20smile    Probably, more like one day you get out of bed...and you think to yourself...hey, I'm worth it....I deserve it...I'm going to get me a new rig--AND a big new monitor to go with it  Confused

Thing is...one thing escalates the other...good GPUs--need a good monitor...good Monitor--needs good GPUs...  Oh, yeah, both of them things cost (a lot) more too don't they  Wink

Well, there's still several days till the Windows coupons come out...maybe I'll browse around and check out monitors--just looking can't hurt--right.Shocked  

well first let me tell you that Tri sli 285 and 275 and quad sli 295 will all give you the same performance.

however this is in games, you only need one card to run that resolution, to run games you will need Tri sli or quad sli.

what you can do is for now get the GPUs needed to run your current resolution, then when you decide to upgrade the monitor, you also add a GPU.
inferno23 View Drop Down

Quote inferno23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 4:11pm

sorry cuz im trippin

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 5:39pm

sorry cuz im trippin

Some people don't like all that blink...paint...fancy parts...light show etc... personally, the creativity some of these places/guys come up with...is mind-blowing!  Think I'll stick with DSO...but, thanks for the web site and chance to see how the other side (of conventional) lives Smile Ermm  As for the cost of those paint jobs...they can't be cheap!!  Big%20smile

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 5:49pm

the higher the resolution the more detailed and clear the screen is. if you have the GPU power why not set the game to high settings, but if you are happy at a certain setting, then stick with that. a Dell 3007WFP-HC should run you like $1100 and has 2560 x 1600 resolution.

well first let me tell you that Tri sli 285 and 275 and quad sli 295 will all give you the same performance.

however this is in games, you only need one card to run that resolution, to run games you will need Tri sli or quad sli.

what you can do is for now get the GPUs needed to run your current resolution, then when you decide to upgrade the monitor, you also add a GPU.

There you go again...being all reasonable/logical and such Cool  What I needed was absolution...or permission...or doubt on your part...something/anything to justify this insatiable need (I have) to buy something--like a new monitor  Smile  Down deep, I know the "itch" I'm trying to scratch won't go away till I can get my hands on a new machine--I think I need therapy  Cry

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 5:51pm
We all need therapy
Kaleliar View Drop Down

Quote Kaleliar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 7:59pm

DST, its 240x2 not 280.  and its actually more than the 260's, they have either 192 or 216 cores. (I had a 216).  So think of the 275 as a more powerful half of the 295. 2x275 is better than 1x295 because its newer. (opinion)And EVGA just added a 1792MB version of the 275, so.. who wants 5.4GB Video RAM?

the 240 core comes from a 280 gtx, I think you misunderstood what I meant.

a 295 is a 260 gtx and a 280 gtx :

Ah i see now, mistake on my part.  i aint been gettin very good sleep so in class i tend to doze haf the time.
satsunada View Drop Down

Quote satsunada Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 11:31pm

sorry cuz im trippin

Damn! They have the chromillusion paints as an option. Mustn't ....sway... from DS for that reason alone...
GeneralShrooms View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GeneralShrooms Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2009 at 12:27am
Sure would be nice if the paint jobs here weren't so damn expensive. -$300 for exterior or interior paint job? come on. Maybe I don't want a fancy pants EXTOTIC high gloss automotive finish, I just want my interior black.

If I send them a can of spray pain do you think they will use it?
satsunada View Drop Down

Quote satsunada Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2009 at 12:34am
Originally posted by GeneralShrooms

Sure would be nice if the paint jobs here weren't so damn expensive. -$300 for exterior or interior paint job? come on. Maybe I don't want a fancy pants EXTOTIC high gloss automotive finish, I just want my interior black.

If I send them a can of spray pain do you think they will use it?

Dunno. Though you may want them to buy it for you, that way you don't have to pay the RIDICULOUS hazardous materials fee for shipping spray cans.

I know they won't do chromillusion paints though, I asked. I REALLY want a purpleen case. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>