file transferPost Date: 2011-09-03 |
Post Reply
|
| Author | |
pos
Groupie
Joined: 29 Aug 2011 Online Status: Offline Posts: 188 |
Quote Reply
Topic: file transferPosted: 03 Sep 2011 at 8:34pm |
|
Hey guys, Just ordered the ODE3, Have a question about how to transfer my files from a win 7 32bit to my NEW win 7 64bit. I have a WD 2tb ext hard drive, can i use this? Really looking for a easy way to do this without really messing this up.
|
|
|
the pos Loves His ODE3
|
|
![]() |
|
DST4ME
DS ELITE
Joined: 14 Apr 2008 Online Status: Offline Posts: 36758 |
Quote Reply
Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 9:14pm |
|
you can do it via usb data transfer cable.
you can move them to your external and then from the external to your hdd 2. you can take out your hdd2, install it on the pc that has the 32bit, transfer the files onto it and then put it back in your pc as hdd2. you can take the win32 install hdd, and install it on ode as hdd3 and then transfer the files from it to your hdd2, BUT be careful, this method may leave your win 32bit unbootable. I clone my storage drive to an external so I don't have to move files over, I have a copy of them, and the external you just connect it to whichever pc you want, whenever you want, making my files mobile, so the external is both backup and mobile. Edited by DST4ME - 03 Sep 2011 at 9:16pm |
|
![]() |
|
pos
Groupie
Joined: 29 Aug 2011 Online Status: Offline Posts: 188 |
Quote Reply
Posted: 04 Sep 2011 at 7:52pm |
|
EV3A. Thanks for the advice, I think i will use the ext drive for my photo's and music. Should I also transfer my program files, ( printer, draw tablet and the rest of my usb stuff ). Or should load each item. Again thanks for your help. I belong to other forums and I have to say so far this I enjoy coming to. DS and you guys with all your knowlege has made getting my system a joy.
|
|
|
the pos Loves His ODE3
|
|
![]() |
|
RiceEatin2000GT
DS Veteran
Joined: 02 Oct 2008 Online Status: Offline Posts: 1699 |
Quote Reply
Posted: 04 Sep 2011 at 7:57pm |
|
I would do the music files/pictures and anything else thats not installed via a HD like your going to do. I would reinstall everything else like programs from scratch. |
|
|
|
![]() |
|
DST4ME
DS ELITE
Joined: 14 Apr 2008 Online Status: Offline Posts: 36758 |
Quote Reply
Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 12:41am |
|
Our pleasure
You can't transfer programs and games that use regkeys from one os install to another, so all those will have to be reinstalled, but as rice mentioned, media/music/personal files can all be transfered to the external. on the 64bit you will notice you have 2 "program files" folders, once is for 32bit apps and one is for 64bit apps. program files (x86) = 32bit folder program files = 64bit
|
|
![]() |
|
pos
Groupie
Joined: 29 Aug 2011 Online Status: Offline Posts: 188 |
Quote Reply
Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 11:41am |
|
Thank You guys for the feed back.
|
|
|
the pos Loves His ODE3
|
|
![]() |
|
DST4ME
DS ELITE
Joined: 14 Apr 2008 Online Status: Offline Posts: 36758 |
Quote Reply
Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 3:33pm |
|
Our pleasure and good luck
|
|
![]() |
|
Post Reply
|
| Forum Jump | Forum Permissions ![]() You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot create polls in this forum You can vote in polls in this forum |