Post Date: 2022-04-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Final Build Selection(?)
    Posted: 15 Apr 2022 at 5:05pm
Here is the final, right on budget, build. Still open for suggestions or any glaring oversights or mistakes.

There are some specials this month, free upgraded warranty (hell yes!), free mouse pad (gimme!), and free shipping (no thanks, live too close to let gorilla handed shipping companies touch it!!) There is also a scalable financial savings on offer.

Also, this machine must be a Velox or other right-side window case, as my Vanquish is turned back-to-front in order to make sure all cables fit and I can see the window.

So please take a look and offer any thoughts or ideas. Thank you all for the help over this endeavor.

Digital Storm Desktop - Config ID 4367031

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7-12700K (4.9 GHz Turbo) (20-Thread) (12-Core) 3.6 GHz (Alder Lake)
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming D4 (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z690) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI) (DDR4)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3600MHz HyperX Fury RGB
Power Supply: 850W Digital Storm Performance Series (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Digital Storm M.2 Performance Series) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Digital Storm M.2 Performance Series) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 3: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Add On Card: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Software Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Graphics: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home (64-Bit)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: Digital Storm Premium Mouse Pad (Standard Size) (Stitched Edges)
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 14-21 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 4 Year Limited Warranty (4 Year Labor & 2 Year Part Replacement)
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 2:02am
Congrats.
Awesome 

That is a very nice system. Strong Super case.

I only have one comment (and you also know I kind of like overkill) knowing you like to go through a few gpu generations, maybe upping the psu to 1000W ?

Isn't it great to be able to pick up system from DS directly? Wouldn't you want a Noctua cpu air cooler? Drooling Super super quiet!!! And cools very well and looks Strong Kind of fits real well in that case. Wink
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 4:09am
I think the PSU will be fine. I've got your load at around 495W with your equipment, and I think that will leave plenty of overhead. I do love the idea of a Noctua fan for the CPU. You might give that some thought. It will very likely outlast an AIO. My last one was still going full-on after 8 years when I retired that rig. If you think it's not for you, consider the new triple fan AIO you may not have noticed.

I'm very sure you have put a lot of thought into this build, and quite likely had this debate with yourself already. But I really think you might reconsider a Samsung 980 500GB for your primary drive for $14. At a tad more than triple the speed of the DS NVMe, you might really like that performance boost for everything you do in Windows. Games and other storage needs are well taken care of by what else you selected, and whatever you may be migrating over, but the 980 has to be game-changing at those speeds IMHO.

These are niggles, Snaike. You've done well concocting the best for you, and and there's nothing that comes close to an error. Whatever you decide from here, bon chance my friend, and use it in the best of health!   
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 11:33am
First things.. I'm open to changing the primary drive to the faster 500GB but it's kind of an 'either/or' situation as we're getting into speeds too fast for this old man to comprehend differences. If you recall I've been using (quite happily, I might add) this 8yo Vanquish 2 with its 850 EVO as a primary with an HDD secondary.

I'll think about that one.. as far as the PSU.. after my recent 2 month foray into the world of PSUs and their replacements, I've decided the 850 drops right into the butter zone for head room and budget concerns. As Cretae pointed out I going to pull around 500W so there's no real concern.

Finally... Noctua. I don't see it listed.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 12:27pm
LOL, the Noctua would have to be a special order and we only recommend it because you'd be picking up the system yourself. I am sure Alex would be happy to accommodate you if you ask nicely. Chilling

I only mentioned the psu since it appears that the future gpus will be using a lot more power than today's. The a 3090Ti (today)  will suck up to 450W! There goes 1/2 of your psu headroom. Who knows what the 7060 (future, maybe) will draw.

Enjoy!
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by hoserator

LOL, the Noctua would have to be a special order and we only recommend it because you'd be picking up the system yourself. I am sure Alex would be happy to accommodate you if you ask nicely. Chilling

Oh, right, because DS stopped offering them after too many shipping claims where they were damaged because they're not sturdy enough to withstand the gorilla hands!... Sorry, I wasn't getting that and it completely slipped my mind.

Thanks for the heads up.   
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 4:17pm
The only problem I see is that you gave up free shipping. I had assumed you would have had it shipped to me for Stage 6 deep intense burn-in testing. Usually Digital Storm Verified Customers know that I only provide this special service for free to people I truly respect.

I would have kept it for at least 6 weeks to be sure that there were no issues that would have affected you over your long term usage. Of course, you would have to take care of professional pack up and shipping costs from my home to yours. That would only be fair for my free service.

Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 5:56pm
Back when DS was in Fremont, Ca, it was only a 30 minute drive from my residence to their shipping dock. I drove over, met the guys in the back, and gently snuggled my new computer in the middle of the back seat with not one, but 2 seat belts, and then proceeded to talk to it all the home like it was a new puppy just picked up from the shelter.

Not that they've moved to Gilroy 75 miles (or just over an hour away, one way) nothing has changed. I worked too long in the freight moving business to ever trust them with something delicate... so, you could consider the fact that I don't trust them to move it to and from you, rather than I just don't trust anyone. Full stop.

Secondarily and back to the issue at hand... this really really looks sexy:

https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15-chromax-black
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 6:04pm
It is sexy like my V8 air CPU cooler that is in my old DS beast. But I wanted my computer to be a racer like my car and have a liquid radiator.

By the way, You might miss my Stage 6 testing. Not hexing you but still.

I will admit that I was puckered up as they say waiting for my new system to arrive in one piece. I was happy that I it arrived spic & span and fired up immediately after unboxing just like the old beast from 12 years ago.

Edited by Onkel_Ken - 16 Apr 2022 at 6:05pm
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
Nomad1970 View Drop Down

Quote Nomad1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 6:27pm
My first DS computer came with a Noctua NH-D14 SE2011
It was shipped vis FedEx and arrived with no damage.

It is to bad that the Motherboard died in its 8th year.

I loved the look of it, big and massive, but very quiet.

Edited by Nomad1970 - 16 Apr 2022 at 6:29pm
My Precious 2
I7-9700 oc 4.7GHz
32GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro
SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 970 PRO)
SSD M.2 1TB Samsung 970 EVO
240GB Samsung 860 Pro SSD
1TB W.D. HD
EVGA GTX 1080Ti
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 11:59pm
Not only is the Noctua NH-D15 sexy looking (and in black!) but also as or more efficient than most AIOs and way quieter. I'd go for it without any hesitation at all. Nothing except a custom loop beats it keeping everything cool. That would make your system all liquid free!

Smile
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Apr 2022 at 3:52am
If any doubt it you can get one, I believe it was our friend @JamesAstro who just recently got one installed at DS and picked it up himself.

@Onkel_Ken:
I believe you mean special Stage 8 testing at your home labs which requires an extended timeframe to make sure all the kinks get worked out!   
txfeinbergs View Drop Down

Quote txfeinbergs Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Apr 2022 at 8:40am
Originally posted by Snaike

Back when DS was in Fremont, Ca, it was only a 30 minute drive from my residence to their shipping dock. I drove over, met the guys in the back, and gently snuggled my new computer in the middle of the back seat with not one, but 2 seat belts, and then proceeded to talk to it all the home like it was a new puppy just picked up from the shelter.

Not that they've moved to Gilroy 75 miles (or just over an hour away, one way) nothing has changed. I worked too long in the freight moving business to ever trust them with something delicate... so, you could consider the fact that I don't trust them to move it to and from you, rather than I just don't trust anyone. Full stop.

Secondarily and back to the issue at hand... this really really looks sexy:

https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15-chromax-black

I have something very similar to that sitting on top of my Threadripper 2950X right now. I had a local shop add it after the system arrived and the closed loop cooler wasn't cutting it. It lowered my temps over 10 degrees. Sometimes air is still the way to go. (but yeah, there is no way I would have shipped the system with that on there.)

Edited by txfeinbergs - 17 Apr 2022 at 8:40am
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Apr 2022 at 3:13pm
Nocuta coolers are awesome! I have one in my Velox machine, and I'm amazed at how well it works. My computer is quiet, and below 70 degrees Celsius even when under load.

I picked up my machine directly from DS, so I wasn't worried about any shipping issues. I have the Noctua D15S. It's just about as good as the D15, but accommodates tall RAM modules and large video cards better than the D15.
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Apr 2022 at 7:50pm
Just curious? Is there two fans? One the outside and one on the inside?

The reason the only fan on my 12 year old Digital Storm beast needed a replacement was the fan on the inside of my V8 Air Cooler.

This was not a trivial replacement especially for a Senior Citizen with bad eyes. :-)

I should have done it somewhere sooner than 12 years! :-)

You should obviously get years of service from the air cooler. Remember that a fan speeds up if it can't transfer air properly. I should have watched the symptoms before the failure.

Well it was a simple repair but I bet if I would have taken it apart and cleaned it along the 12 years it wouldn't have failed.

Not an easy disassembly for an old man like me. :-)

Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Apr 2022 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by Onkel_Ken

Yes, to keep all the air flowing in one direction... makes perfect sense from a cooling standpoint...

MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Apr 2022 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by Onkel_Ken

The S suffix in the Noctua product name indicates a single fan inclusion. On the dual-tower setups, the included fan is the middle (i.e. sandwiched). You can still add another (e.g. front) later.

For example:

NH-D15S chromax.black | Noctua
Originally posted by Noctua

High-compatibility version of NH-D15
Compared to the award-winning NH-D15, the S-version uses an off-set, asymmetrical layout and a single instead of dual NF-A15 fans. This allows the NH-D15S to provide state-of-the-art heatsink performance while maintaining superior RAM and PCIe compatibility.

NH-D15 chromax.black | Noctua

• Ryzen 5600X, ROG Strix B550-I, RX 6900 XT, 32GB Vengeance, 960GB MP510
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 1:35pm
The Noctua fans look like they would be a lot easier to replace if necessary than the fan in my old V8 air cooler. The V8 fan was DIFFICULT to remove & replace without breaking other stuff.

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 11:28pm
They are just held by 2 wire clips that are very easy to set.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2022 at 1:43am
Love the Noctua.       There was a time the AIO coolers were in their infancy and , in my opinion, not a great choice.   Times have changed.   Still can’t beat the Noctua for cooling performance, quietness and super reliability, but AIO, in my last 2 builds, has been great.   

If one if my AIO craps out there is little doubt Noctua would be the replacement.   

Snaike…nice build.    

Edited by bprat22 - 19 Apr 2022 at 1:44am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2022 at 3:54am
Originally posted by bprat22

Love the Noctua.       

If one if my AIO craps out there is little doubt Noctua would be the replacement.   

Snaike…nice build.    

I would very likely do the same.   
oldlady RPGer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

One of the cool kids

Quote oldlady RPGer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 1:54pm
Where is the GREEN Aventum?????   
Me sitting my ECMO in PICU. Now you know why I like LC. ;)

Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by oldlady RPGer

Where is the GREEN Aventum?????   
That's the gift machine Alex is making... this one I actually have to purchase. /sigh... still waiting.
 Post Reply Post Reply