FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Final inspection before purchase

Post Date: 2011-11-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sadistical View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sadistical Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Final inspection before purchase
    Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 2:17pm
Greetings,

been scouring the different builds and the one I'm about to purchase probably mirrors several of DST4M3's builds but since I set this system up step by step I suppose I just wanted to make sure I didn't make any mistakes, or pick something that wasnt the best choice. I appreciate any and all feedback!

Saved Ticket #: 618774

Budget: $3,000.00
Expectations: Just got skyrim and was a little disappointed that my current rig can only really play smooth at low settings. While not expecting to be able to run it at Ultra settings, would be nice if i could run it at least high without dropping to 12fps. skyrim is just an example of course.

Usage: Web and graphic development during the day, gaming till my eyes feel like they are going to fall out at night.

final note, my current monitor is a viewsonic HD at 1920 x 1080 resolution.

Many thanks!

FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 5:05pm
Hi Sadistical,

Looks pretty good. Here are some changes you might consider.

1. You don't want the performance fans. They are 120mm and run up to 2000 rpm. They will have a lot of noise and don't provide the cooling the standard fans do.

2. Add a second oem 200mm fan to the top of the case. You can get a non-led or a red led. Request it in the comments section of your order.

3. If you think you might increase your memory in the future you should consider Win-7 Pro instead of the Home Premium. There is a 16GB limitation with Premium and that includes the GPU memory. If gaming is all you do then you are good with Home Premium.

4. You didn't order your free T-Shirt.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 17 Nov 2011 at 5:17pm

Quote Sadistical Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 5:13pm
Thank ya FrankW!

I will switch out the fans and I forgot to mention that I did request the red led 200mm fan for the top, from previous posts i found throughout the forums.

With that in mind I must admit that I did miss the Shirt even though I had seen that brought up on other posts as well, lol!

In regards to win7, if you dont go over 16GB you're ok with the home premium edition but if you are planning on going 16GB and higher I should get win7 Pro?

Thanks again for the feedback, I still have my order page open and I've been hovering over the buy now button all day, just wanted to get some confirmation like this before taking the plunge.

FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 5:24pm
Sadistidcal,

With the 2.5 GPUs you are at 13GB now. So you couldn't add another 4GB of memory if you wanted to. You said you do WEB and Graphic development and I thought sometime in the future you might want more memory. 8GB of system memory is a bunch and adequate for most applications.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 17 Nov 2011 at 5:25pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 12:44am
If you want to add more ram then change os to win7 pro. that 16GB is 16GB total including gpu memory, as frankk said you are at total of 13GB right now.

ask for vcore below 1.4 with stage 2 oc otherwise you can shorten your cpu life.

Quote Sadistical Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 2:17am
Thank ya for the feedback, having looked over alot of your previous posts and replies DST4ME I appreciate you dropping in here as well!

I think I'll be ok for now mem and OS wise but i do appreciate the heads up as i did not know about the 16GB limit with win 7 home edition.

I posted my order earlier today but i will update it to include your recommendations about the vcore.

Pretty excited to finally be getting a DS!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 4:09am
Our pleasure and good luck

Don't forget to post review and pics of it when you get it
 Post Reply Post Reply