Post Date: 2020-05-01

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Menacely View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Menacely Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Final product question
    Posted: 01 May 2020 at 2:06pm
I know this might be a dumb question but I was wondering if upon receiving the gaming pc Lynx level 3 is there anything I have to do before using it like windows or drivers etc or is all of that already handled before hand?
GrandesBollas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2020 at 3:22pm
DS will already have tested the OS to make sure it is current and ready to go. You will only have to get it connected to internet, and start the normal Windows update process. You may also want to install your own anti-virus software.

Drivers are typically updated and installed via Windows update. You shouldn't need to do anything.
Menacely View Drop Down

Quote Menacely Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2020 at 4:07pm
Ok I see and how does one go about installing their own software as I am new to pc gaming and want to make sure I get the most out of my first experience I would hate to have spent this kind of money only to be unsatisfied later?
GrandesBollas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2020 at 4:11pm
A lot of software will have an installer that allows the software to be installed on the default drive - usually C-drive. Once you buy it online, download the software. You may need to unzip the file. Look for a file called setup. Double click and follow the instructions. That easy!

You can also google how to install specific software and find youtube videos.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2020 at 5:10pm
Congratulations and welcome to DS.

Your pc will be ready to go when you get it. Check out Must have software  under Computer Related>Software Discussion. A lot of good info if a bit dated.

When you go to the website where you are going to get the software, it will have directions on what you want to do. The Lynx III only has 240GB on the c drive. When asked where to dl the software, click browse and direct it to drive d with 2 TB. C drive will fill up real quick otherwise.

Enjoy. Smile
Menacely View Drop Down

Quote Menacely Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2020 at 5:42pm
Thanks if I have any further questions I know where to go all of you guys have been so helpful really means a lot and I appreciate it honestly.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 May 2020 at 3:56am
I also recommend that "Must Have Software" thread. There's some good stuff there, and most of it's free!

Personally, I recommend you stick with Windows Defender for your firewall and anti-virus protection. It is already enabled when your system arrives, and it works in the background whenever you are up and running. It updates automatically, too. All i've used for over 10 years, and it's never failed me.

We are all very happy to be of help. In future, you might look around the Forum to find the best subject heading to post an issue/question, so you don't get overlooked for a day or two. For example, if you want to ask a question about one of the software picks, post in "Computer Related"> "Software Discussion" where you're going to find those recommendations. There are some members who only visit the categories they are knowledgeable of.
Menacely View Drop Down

Quote Menacely Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 May 2020 at 8:32pm
Nice so there’s technically no need to install any other anti virus software then if it has worked that well for you I’m guessing!
Menacely View Drop Down

Quote Menacely Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 May 2020 at 8:33pm
It’s nice to know windows defender anti virus protection is all ready to go before hand!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2020 at 3:53am
I've been using it ever since Windows first offered it, (with Widows 7, I think) and it's never let me down. I tried it out because other anti-viruses I had used, including McAfee and Norton, always ended up conflicting with stuff in one way or another, and being a chore. I figured that now that Windows had is very own fully integrated product, at least it would never conflict with itself! Turns out it's even better than that, in that it's completely hands-off. Windows updates it automatically, and you never have to interrupt what you're doing to download something. No doubt all the others I used to use work much better now, too, but this is free and usually scores among the very best programs out there.

Very often, if you try to run two anti-viruses, they will conflict with each other. So if you stick with Windows Security, you'll never have to download, and you'll never have to pay extra.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2020 at 4:16am
Cretae's logical and well written explanation has me considering pulling avast! from my machine and letting Windows Defender do it's thing...   
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2020 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Snaike

Cretae's logical and well written explanation has me considering pulling avast! from my machine and letting Windows Defender do it's thing...   

I recently did just this thing and I've been 100% satisfied. For the record prior to that I'd been using Avast! since before Avast (company) changed its name from Alwil to Avast. Then a long series of crappy updates, poor support, a nearly cult-like user-base (they vapidly defend Avast! on the official forums, to the point it's somewhat eerie), and then of course them harvesting all your details to sell for profit, was enough to make me drop all Avast software from my computer (this includes Piriform programs too, for reference). But I'll cease my soapboxing, just wanted to share that I've had no issues at all with Defender thus far.
Menacely View Drop Down

Quote Menacely Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2020 at 10:36pm
Nice sounds good I’m glad to know that defender is already installed and ready to go it’s so much things I had questions about just wanting to get the most out of my first gaming pc experience honestly especially for the amount I paid if that makes sense lol just wanna be careful as well!
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 May 2020 at 5:31am
I have never used any antivirus. started using with W7 (Security Essentials) and now defender. Have to stress that YOU are the best antivirus. DO NOT do things that will subject your system to unwanted attention by browsing and dl anything and everything.
Good luck and enjoy.  
Muz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Muz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 May 2020 at 4:05pm
I have maleware byes and upgraded to premium edition since i use my machine to work from home. Its cheap enough and pretty reliable. No issues so far.
 Post Reply Post Reply