FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Finally, My Review 1 Month In...

Post Date: 2010-10-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
cohenfive View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote cohenfive Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Finally, My Review 1 Month In...
    Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 12:16pm
i wanted to wait until i had everything all set up and running for a while (including my desk setup) before writing an initial review of my new ds machine.

the high level reaction is that i love this machine, and so far all my interactions with ds have been terrific. i replaced a 4 1/2 yr old dell pc that just wasn't up to the task of large file manipulation from my digital photography habit. my pc was specd for processing speed plus storage, not for video/gaming performance. i spent some time with ds and with the forum experts on the build and that is a really important aspect of why i think the ds 'experience' is so good.

big wins for me so far--

1. having a pc that goes from off to fully booted up and ready to go in less than 90 seconds. my old pc was like watching paint dry on boot.
2. huge difference in bringing up applications such as adobe lightroom and elements which are notoriously slow to load.
3. much, much faster file manipulation response times. the machine renders raw images and makes changes really quickly.
4. it's nice to have huge storage on board plus my normal external backup.
5. the machine is not flashy but is cool looking, and i get a lot of use out of the top front ports and power button.

negatives (i have to really stretch here)--

1. i don't like the internal card reader. it works but doesn't have a quality 'feel' to it. i guess what do you expect for fifteen bux, but it was the only one offered.
2. they didn't show me around their shop when i came to pick the pc up...:(
3. that's it

i've had one minor tech support issue on configuration (driver issue, i thought we were done with those with win7) and ds was very, very responsive.

so add me to the list of highly satisfied customers. i like the idea that my pc was built locally, that tech support is local and if i ever have a problem i can always physically bring it in (but hope i never have to).

two big thumbs up!!

Edited by cohenfive - 14 Oct 2010 at 9:06pm
dso core i7 950 oc
6gb ram, 750w psu
80gb ssd, 2x1tb hdd
470 gtx gpu
haf 922
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 12:45pm
nice review! i too hate my 2 year old gateway laptop taking 6-10 minutes to turn on. its sooo annoying!
pics please?
Steam:pcmaster160
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 7:40pm
@cohenfive,

Thank you for your feedback! Post up some pics so we can add you to the 'Customer Reviews' section.

I'm sorry we were unable to give you a tour, at times we're busy cleaning up or other random projects and it's not that easy for us to bring a customer in and show them around like we use to back in the days.
 Post Reply Post Reply