FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Finally, the time has come!

Post Date: 2010-11-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
cooganm View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote cooganm Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Finally, the time has come!
    Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 6:01pm

I have been following this forum for a LONG time, and I have to say, this company (and community) is, categorically, the best!  I’ve been impressed from my first visit on.

It is finally time to order, and I’ve read the buyers guide, but I’m really hoping for some help; All advice/wisdom is welcomed.  Here are my particulars:

Budget:  ~$2,500 (Tower only, not including monitor, peripherals, etc.).  I’m targeting the max power with air cooling range.

Monitor:  Will be buying at 24” monitor, likely a Dell U2410, so max resolution of 1920x1200; 6ms response (hopefully this will suffice for my needs, welcome any other suggestions)

Usage:  Primarily gaming, specifically flight sims (Storm of War:  Battle of Britain) and shooters.  Also general home use (MS Office, web surfing)

Special Needs:  My main need is having SoW:  BoB run smoothly, with good frame rates at higher graphics settings.  That’s the dream.

Ticket:  http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=456910

Main questions:

1) Chassis:  Any gain between the Cooler Master 942 over the 932?

2) RAM:  12GB may be overkill, but flight sims, and SoW: BoB in particular, is expected to be RAM intensive.  No system specs yet.  Maybe 6GB is enough?

3) Power Supply:  750W enough, or do I need to jump to 1200W?

4) Video Card:  Given monitor selection and usage needs, I’m assuming one GTX580 is plenty?

5) Cooling:  Will the Noctua U12P be enough?

Other recommended changes?  Confused

Thanks!

Mike

Edited by cooganm - 14 Nov 2010 at 7:36am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 6:27pm
@cooganm,

Thank you for your interest in Digital Storm!

The config you have listed (http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=456910) looks great, but there are just a few pointers.

1. You don't need 12GB of memory for gaming. I recommend going with 6GB and using the saved cash to upgrade to a 1000W PSU so you could add another GTX 580 if needed down the road.

2. The HAF 932 is still a great case. The major differences between that and the HAF X are looks and front hot swap bays that the HAF X features.

3. Cooling with the U12P will be fine.
cooganm View Drop Down

Quote cooganm Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 8:05am
Alex,

Thanks for the response!

OK, so redirect the $160 from the extra RAM into the 1000W PSU.  1200W would be overkill, I take it?  And again, the flight sim is expected to be a RAM hog, but I'm guessing that 6GB will get it done.

I see that the HAF X has two, 3.0usb on the front and two, 2.0usb vs. the four 2.0usb ports on the HAF 932.  Otherwise, no real major differences.  Not sure the importance of that going forward, but guessing 2.0 is adequate for various peripherals, so guess I'll stick with the HAF 932.

I also left the video, memory, and OS boosting alone.  I keep reading that outside of overclocking the CPU, all else is really unnecessary?

Thinking that my HD choices are fine too, as all the positive press about the INTEL solid states?  I'm assuming that the flight sim should be loaded on the solid state drive to take advantage of its capabilities?

Thanks again for helping a noob!

Edited by cooganm - 14 Nov 2010 at 8:14am
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 10:43am
Originally posted by cooganm

OK, so redirect the $160 from the extra RAM into the 1000W PSU.  1200W would be overkill, I take it?  And again, the flight sim is expected to be a RAM hog, but I'm guessing that 6GB will get it done.

There are hardly any applications that can access more than 2GB of system memory. It has to be a 64-bit to be able to in the first place, and I don't know of any 64-bit games off the top of my head. The only apps I know of that can do it are some media editing ones like Photoshop CS5 and such.

So yes, 6GB will definitely get it done.

I see that the HAF X has two, 3.0usb on the front and two, 2.0usb vs. the four 2.0usb ports on the HAF 932.  Otherwise, no real major differences.  Not sure the importance of that going forward, but guessing 2.0 is adequate for various peripherals, so guess I'll stick with the HAF 932.

The HAF 942 X can also fit some of the bigger ridiculously sized motherboards, but that isn't an issue for most people. The 932 is cheaper and has bigger fans. Hahaha

I also left the video, memory, and OS boosting alone.  I keep reading that outside of overclocking the CPU, all else is really unnecessary?

They actually don't do memory overclocking anymore (if you check the drop down box it isn't there anymore, just a memory fan kit option), it is extremely time consuming and such little gain comes from it.

I wouldn't bother with the free OS tweak. The disabled services or visual effects are not even a blip on the radar of an overclocked 9XX processor and you can easily miss out on helpful or nice looking things by disabling them. Better to just tweak the OS to your preferences on your own.

GPU overclocking means more heat and thus more noise from the fans turning up higher, so up to you either way if you don't mind the louder fans. DS doesn't overclock GPUs much at all though so it probably doesn't matter much either way, you'd probably have to overclock them on your own to see a big difference.

Thinking that my HD choices are fine too, as all the positive press about the INTEL solid states?  I'm assuming that the flight sim should be loaded on the solid state drive to take advantage of its capabilities?

Intel, Intel, Intel.

An SSD will help with the game's start up time and level loading times. How much it helps depends on the game, some benefit little and seem to spend an inordinate amount of time loading things into the GPU memory (S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games are terrible about this) while others benefit tremendously and load extremely quick.

I don't know how well your flight sim would benefit.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
cooganm View Drop Down

Quote cooganm Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 4:09pm
Thanks for the reply Dragoonseal!  Very helpful

A few more questions:

1)  For the 6GB RAM, is it worth going to the 2000MHz, vs. 1600MHz?
2)  Just one last time, stick to the i7 920 (given intent to overclock, there's no need to bump to the higher 9XX chips)?
3)  Have already decided to increase from 750W to 1000W on the PSU, but if I plan for future upgrades, worth just heading to 1200W now?
4)  I think this may have been answered elsewhere, but two GTX480s vs. one GTX580??  Just stick with the one GTX580 given my monitor choice?
5)  Already going with Noctua NH-U12P.  Would Air Stage 2 be overkill? 
6)  Very minor, but I'm assuming the HAF 932 has no interior lighting, although it's always shown as blue?  I'd have to add that under internal lighting, correct?

Sorry for all of the questions...I'm getting there, I think.  Really appreciate it!

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 4:42pm

1)  For the 6GB RAM, is it worth going to the 2000MHz, vs. 1600MHz?

Nah, unless you've got no where else to spend the money on improvements. Extremely little gains to be had there.

2)  Just one last time, stick to the i7 920 (given intent to overclock, there's no need to bump to the higher 9XX chips)?

As far as any of the quad core ones go, 920 all the way for sure.

3)  Have already decided to increase from 750W to 1000W on the PSU, but if I plan for future upgrades, worth just heading to 1200W now?

Either 1000w Corsair or 1200w DS Certified both work. Or even the 1200w Corsair if you want an outstanding quality PSU (90% efficiency rating) with wattage room to spare.

4)  I think this may have been answered elsewhere, but two GTX480s vs. one GTX580??  Just stick with the one GTX580 given my monitor choice?

One 580 will max most everything at 1920x1200, except some of the really hard ones like Crysis and Metro 2033. A 580 isn't much more, I'd say probably be better to go with those, even if it is only one for now.

5)  Already going with Noctua NH-U12P.  Would Air Stage 2 be overkill?

I like the idea of even a few degrees cooler CPU temps, but up to you if you think the $50 is worth it for the NH-D14 or not.

6)  Very minor, but I'm assuming the HAF 932 has no interior lighting, although it's always shown as blue?  I'd have to add that under internal lighting, correct?

Correct. Though it does come default with a red LED front fan.

Their pictures of the blue themed one has a replacement blue LED front fan, blue painted grills, and blue internal lighting (with a long exposure shot to make it look brighter).

If you go with a blue theme instead of the default red, ask them about getting the front LED fan replaced.
Lilim
cooganm View Drop Down

Quote cooganm Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 11:11pm
Thanks again Dragoonseal!

OK, here's the "final" build.  Hope that I haven't missed anything?

One last question about RAM.  Not a big deal, but I noticed that the Digital Storm 6GB DDR3 1333MHz is more expensive than the 1600MHz.  Just curious why that is?  Should I stick with the 1333MHz?

Thanks!
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 11:26pm

No, take the 1600 Mhz no question about it.

ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 11:28pm
Hah, I've been looking at that 1333Mhz RAM option funny too; I really have no explanation for why in the world it's like that. I dunno, 1600Mhz is cheaper, and it's faster, an' pretty much it's the standard with most forumers now so might as well pick it up.

The sound card, meh, some would say it's debatable versus just regular motherboard audio (which has served me pretty well, lol), but I've really no personal experience to base the Fatal1ty on. Anyone else wanna chime in on whether the X-Fi Fatal1ty's are worth the dough?

Well, anyways, besides that, it looks great!

Edited by ablahblah - 15 Nov 2010 at 11:28pm
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 11:33pm
That sound card is worth is for sure, if you have the speakers to go along with it, crappy speakers will still sound crappy with a sound card.
cooganm View Drop Down

Quote cooganm Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 8:53am
Thanks guys!

OK, I'll bump to 1600MHz on the 6GB RAM.  It just feels strange to get better performance, for less cost?  Seems counter intuitive.  But hey, awesome!

Regarding the sound card, I was a bit torn, but decided to go with it, because for once in my life, within reasonable cost contraints, I want to experience quality sound with my games (something I've never really had).  I plan to add a pair of Audio-Technica headphones and clip-on mic. to round things out on that front.

Finally, given my monitor selection, I'm going to stick with the single GTX580.  I was considering bumping up the PSU and adding a second one, but I feel that will be overkill and will blow my budget.  I was reading in the buyers guide how it basically makes sense, financially, to just get two at the same time, right now, but again, back to my monitor resolution.

Anyway, thanks again, and now getting really close to pulling the trigger...I'm such a huge muller...I need to just do it!
KKrusher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote KKrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 9:34am
Nice build.  I understand the feeling about mulling over a purchase for a long time.  My finger has been hovering over the 'buy' button for a while now.  Good luck!

KK
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 10:45am

OK, I'll bump to 1600MHz on the 6GB RAM.  It just feels strange to get better performance, for less cost?  Seems counter intuitive.  But hey, awesome!

All has to do with supply, demand, sweet spots, what fabs are currently setup to produce, and bulk pricing.
Lilim
cooganm View Drop Down

Quote cooganm Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 9:40pm
Well, it's done.  Order placed and not sure what to think after all of the waiting, researching, mulling, etc.  Not Drooling yet, but maybe that will change as it goes through the build process.

Still questioning my 1200W PSU selection, but ah well, figured for an extra $34, if I plan to add goodies down the road, the extra power can't hurt.

Thanks to all of those who reviewed and delt with my questions...really appreciate it...again, what a great community!

Thanks!

Coog
cooganm View Drop Down

Quote cooganm Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 10:36am
I know that my order has been placed, but just curious, would I have been better served by the Western Digital Caviar--7200RPM; 64MB Cache?  Going head-to-head with what I picked:  Hitachi/Seagate (7200RPM; 32MB Cache).  Given the Cache differences?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 10:59am
No, you're fine, virtually the same performance. Literately within 5% of each other, which a whole lot of nothing in conventional HDD numbers.

I always recommend the Hitachi/Seagate, no sense in wasting a perfectly good $25 that could be put to better use elsewhere.
Lilim
cooganm View Drop Down

Quote cooganm Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 3:01pm
Thanks Dragoonseal!  Thanks also to Sarah for a quick response on my order.  The i7 920s are now out of stock.  Guess I waited just a bit too long.  Oops
cooganm View Drop Down

Quote cooganm Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 2:34pm
Holy cow!  Suddenly I'm in Stage 4!! Drooling Not sure how that's possible with a motherboard backordered to 11/30, but hey, Awesome

Edited by cooganm - 19 Nov 2010 at 2:38pm
cooganm View Drop Down

Quote cooganm Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 5:08pm
Well, the new rig, whom I've named Rosie (after AC/DC's Whole Lotta Rosie) is up and running and holy cow, what a beast she is!  Amazing!  I had a SNAFU with my monitor, so I'm still using my old monitor until mid-week this week, but nonetheless...  Perfectly shipped, perfect performance right out of the box...  Everything I'd hoped.  Hope to post some kind of review and pics at some point soon...

Thanks DS and all those on the forum!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply