FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Firs Custom Config

Post Date: 2022-10-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TheDoorMan View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheDoorMan Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Firs Custom Config
    Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 7:56pm
Budget:1500-2k

Expectations: Reliability and the flexibility to make changes as my usage evolves.

Usage: Gaming (Tiny Tinas, HFW, Apex, Terraria, Etc.), Data analytics, Matlab.

Special Needs: I have never built a computer before so I would appreciate learning about the process a bit. Mostly I need this computer to be reliable, no bugs, random issues, miscellaneous ticks I cannot explain (my current laptop shuts off randomly when you move the screen. Every tech expert I have taken it to has been stunned) and I need this computer to be easy to modify or upgrade. My needs will inevitably change and I would prefer to need the addition of a second processing chip than a brand new computer assuming my need is processing capacity.    

Saved Ticket #: 4526039 (I am not sure if this is an accurate number, I just wanted to use the sweet spot from buying/posting guide)

Specifications:

For specifications I have started with the sweet spot from the buying/posting guide (Amazing guide btw. Thank you for taking the time to get that together) simply because it is within my budget. Please remember, my goal for this desktop is longevity and reliability. If that means some extra $$ to improve cooling to ensure hardware longevity, I would not be opposed.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2022 at 3:31pm
These parts are over 10 years old. IDK where you found the guide you mention, but if you want serious advice, go here:

https://www.digitalstorm.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwkt6aBhDKARIsAAyeLJ21Yxeu4WC-QGnCjBV16p77lhBVlRMQBW2Dl9CVJqUTOcgm0FkpQBEaAo7ZEALw_wcB

Under Desktops, select LYNX> SelectModel> "Best Sellers" for selections in your price range. These are not customizable, but the top two are very powerful gaming computers that will perform well at 1080p or 1440p monitor resolutions. They are also easily upgradable.

If you really want to explore options, tell us your monitor resolution, and if you think a Lynx pre-built could suit you. If you want a custom build with a few better parts, you're looking at $2000 plus.   
TheDoorMan View Drop Down

Quote TheDoorMan Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2022 at 5:14pm
If you go to create a new topic under config help there will be a link to the purchasing guide. Did not realize it was that old . I have 2 monitors with resolution 1920x1080 (model number if you need to look it up 24CF390FHN), but if you are saying any of those 4 options will play todays games and have the ability to be upgraded in the future. That may just solve my problems there since all 4 of those options are in my price range.

Out of curiosity in the 10 yr old article there was mention to the point where more money does not equal better gameplay. Do you know where that point is now?
txfeinbergs View Drop Down

Quote txfeinbergs Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2022 at 8:20pm
That answer depends on what resolution you are going to game at. If 1080P, likely anything above $1800 is unnecessary. If 2K resolution, more around $2500. If 4K, you are looking at $3000. These are just ballparks and the main difference is going to be the GPU you go with.

Edited by txfeinbergs - 25 Oct 2022 at 8:22pm
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2022 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by TheDoorMan

Out of curiosity in the 10 yr old article there was mention to the point where more money does not equal better gameplay. Do you know where that point is now?

The answer is complex but basically correlates with display resolution and refresh rate. That is, for example, if your computer is paired with a 2560x1440 pixels @ 120 Hz, an RTX 4090 paired with an Intel 13900K is wasteful.

With that said, one of the other pieces of info to pay attention to in the following video is frame time.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition Review & Benchmarks: Gaming, Power, & Thermals | Gamers Nexus (YouTube)

If you do research to a higher degree, search for benchmarks of games or games in the categories you prefer to play and look for the 0.1% and 1% low rates. The graphics card that performs with lows closet to your monitor resolution is close to the most optimal. Hopefully, that makes sense.

Ideally, a "serious" gamer would target a consistent frame rate of 60 to 120 FPS (i.e., not fluctuating 60 to 120, but somewhere between, such as a consistent 90 FPS)

As for a CPU: most exceed gaming demands. However, you're fairly safe selecting a newer Intel Core i5 or Ryzen 5. If you'll be doing content creation or other productivity in addition to gaming, a Core i7 or Ryzen 7. The Core i9 and Ryzen 9 models are strictly for numbers (i.e., benchmark) bragging rights and won't provide any perceivable benefit -- unless your PC is foremost a professional productivity system.

Edited by MrCheetah - 25 Oct 2022 at 8:30pm
• Ryzen 5600X, ROG Strix B550-I, RX 6900 XT, 32GB Vengeance, 960GB MP510
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2022 at 5:59am
These pre-builts are not exactly one-size-fits all, but as a package you get a bit more bang for your buck than with a custom build. Given your monitors, the choice for you would be between "Good" and "Better" IMHO. I'll call them #2 and #3. The #2 meets your basic needs if that's what you'd prefer. The #3 has a CPU that's stronger and is very highly regarded in the trade as a strong gaming chip. The GPU is a bit stronger than what you require, but there's nothing wrong with that for the price! It also comes with a better All-in-One liquid cooler for the CPU. Either one is very upgradable with more RAM someday and storage options. You could even add a better GPU in the future, but you'd have to mind the limits of a 700W PSU.

#3 has a longer potential lifespan going forward as a strong gaming rig, so that's the one I'd pick.

#4 is GPU overkill for your monitors, but comes with an 850W power supply that will allow better GPU upgrade options down the road. With otherwise the same equipment as 3, that's it's only real benefit.   
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Oct 2022 at 3:19pm
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
 Post Reply Post Reply