FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First DS System. Suggestions?

Post Date: 2010-12-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Zachat View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zachat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: First DS System. Suggestions?
    Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 1:19am
I'm looking at getting a new pc this year and figured this would be the best time (free overclocks etc.). This would be my first DS rig and so im not completely familiar with how good their product is. I've heard and read only positive reviews but I'd like to try one for myself.

I'm lookin to spend under 5000$ and still get a lean, mean, fightin machine (10 points to anyone who gets the reference).

I'll want this computer to be fast while staying as cool and quiet as possible.

I'm planning on using it for a myriad of tasks such as gaming, web surfing, sound and video editing etc.

Config. # is 466039. Please feel free to post suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thanks
Qwann View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Qwann Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 1:51am
Woah- My first suggestion would be to take a look at !ender's buying guide here.

5000$ is a pretty large budget but most people on the forums would tell you that the performance per dollar ratio is the best right around 3k or so. Anything higher than that is paying for bragging rights in benchmarks, or extreme multi-tasking.
1. With that large of a budget, and gaming as your number one focus, GPU power should be your main goal. Stay away from that duel 5870 hybrid and go for SLI 580's.
2. I assume that you would want a SSD to put the operating system +apps +a few games to significantly increase loading times, but in your config you listed an 80g normal hdd as the secondary data drive. You'll need to put the SSD as the first one, and whatever normal HDD's for storage as the second (and possibly third).
3. Liquid cooling was discussed in a post earlier today, a little bit farther down the config section here. Unless you're going to go for above DSO's free overclocking range, you can save a LOT of money and just go with air.
4. Buy your monitor/keyboard/mouse elsewhere online, or in person, as DSO's product descriptions for them are a little vague and seeing the monitors in person, as well as feeling the different shapes of different mice can influence your buy.

Take a look this config for ~ 3187$~
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master HAF 932
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58 (Intel X58 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1200W Digital Storm Certified (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Highly Recommended)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (80GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: X25-M MLC Edition) (Extreme Performance)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Hitachi/Seagate (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Noctua NH-U12P SE Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

Keep in mind this includes an 80g SSD, although I did forget to put the blu-ray player back in (which would add 92$). You could also add a sound-card if you have nice enough speakers to notice a difference. Integrated motherboard audio is very good these days though.

I'll leave the high budget liquid cooled config recommendations to one of the more senior members of the DSO forums.

Edited by Qwann - 04 Dec 2010 at 2:00am
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 7:49am
ill wait and see if zachat has any interest in liquid cooling and why before going through all that, but liquid is definitely within his budget, i like the config qwann gave you, wouldnt change it unless you want to add a triple rad to cool your 580s
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 11:39am
Pretty much agree with Ender and Qwann but with one thought added, with that budget the 160GB Intel SSD would be a great boot drive with space for a serious amount of games loaded. 
wcboltman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote wcboltman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 1:41pm
Try this:

ticket number: 466124

Dual 580s, liquid cooling, 2 SSDs in RAID 0, great sound card, best power supply, and comes in at less than 5K.
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 2:11pm
Coltman, curious why one would go with LCS and only have stage 1 OC??
WardTheSteak View Drop Down

Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 7:10pm
It's best not to go raid 0 with SSD's, you would be better off buying a 160 gb ssd.
 Post Reply Post Reply