FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First EVER gaming PC, need some input!!

Post Date: 2010-06-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  123 4>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Rob13 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Rob13 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: First EVER gaming PC, need some input!!
    Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 6:46pm

I've been looking into having a PC built that I could use for gaming and school work etc. Many of my friends tell me that building a rig on your own is better. While that may be the case, I'm a college student full time and really wouldn't have the time or paitence for putting a system together.

Anyway to explain a little bit about myself. I'm 20 and I enjoy playing computer games ( WoW, Sc2, D3, ME2, DA:O, just to name a few titles) I'd like a PC that can run all these games exceptionally well, while not breaking the bank. Also I do NOT intend to do any upgrades to the system I've chosen in the Configuration. I'd like what is inside the case to last me atleast 4-5 years down the road. I know with PC's and all the new tech it's hard to "keep up" with all the latest and greatest, so I'll try to future proof as best as I can. I'll be going into the air force after the first of the year and once I arrive at my MOS, I would love to have this PC to use for gaming and keeping in touch with family and friends back at home, while managing my school work.

I DO NOT know much about computers at all ( that was before I had some help from good friends at Core-Authority.com) but I'm still a little rusty. I originally decided I wanted a rig from iBUYPOWER. As I said many of my friends say building yourself is better but recomended DS as a company to use if you want it pre built, and compared to what I saw at IBP, I'm very impressed with what I see.

Anyway now that my life's story is out of the way, let's get to the good part! MY GAMING RIG!

Here is some of the info I can provide:

- My Moniter is also my TV a 32" LG 1080P LCD HD TV ( I will use an HDMI cable for my computer if possible)

- My budget is $1500, however this system I built is about 200 bucks more, but the money is well spent.

- Uses are mainly gaming ( would like to run the games I listed at awesome max settings and like I said I want this pc to last 4-5 years w/o upgrades other than whats inside since I'm so "tech Inclined") School work ( college) and ofcourse keeping in touch with family and friends.

Here's the rig I made on DS!:

CASE: CM Storm Sniper +84

PROCESSOR: AMD Phenom II x4 955 (Quad Core, Black Edition 8MB cache)

MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte GA-890XA-UD3(AMD 790X-chipset) (SATA3 and USB 3.0) (Socket AM3)

MEMORY: 4GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Dominator DHX (High Performance) +25

POWERSUPPLY: 750W Corsair TX (Dual SLI compatible) +70

HARD DRIVE: 1X (1TB Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed) +66

OPTICAL DRIVE: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24X/ CD-Writer 48X) ( Lightscribe Edition) +10

GRAPHICS CARD: 1X ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB (Sapphire Vapor-X 100281VXSR) +423 ( Didn't have a XFX or I'd get that instead)

COOLING: Asetek Liquid CPU Cooler (120mm Radiator) +59

The total cost comes out to $1660 ( if anyone knows of a promo code I could use let me know)

Anyway I'll be ordering this PC within a month, so while some things can change in a months time, this is the basic system I'm shooting for.

Thoughts? Comments? etc? Please! All input will help

( Also to save a few bucks I would be willing to swap to DS 4gb of 1600 memory and their 750 PS if they are good)

Thanks!

-Rob

Edited by Rob13 - 23 Jun 2010 at 6:53pm
GosuHyunwoo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GosuHyunwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 7:22pm
Wait so you said you can go over 200$? You want a i7 build, no amd processor can compete with intel. The asetek is not real lc. Btw tv's don't make very good monitors but if you really want to use that tv of yours a 5850 should be enough

Ticket Number: 417275
Total Price with Instant Savings: $1,640.00

Direct Load URL: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=417275

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master HAF 932
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 Micro Edition SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Digital Storm Certified (Dual SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Recommended)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Noctua Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler (Compatible With ONLY i7 Processors)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: 3 Year Limited Warranty with Life-Time Customer Support (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Parts)

You can switch the hard drive to the 1tb 32mb cache if it's in the budget and the ps to corsair if you can fit it into the budget

Edited by GosuHyunwoo - 23 Jun 2010 at 7:23pm

Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by Rob13

Also I do NOT intend to do any upgrades to the system I've chosen in the Configuration. I'd like what is inside the case to last me atleast 4-5 years down the road. I know with PC's and all the new tech it's hard to "keep up" with all the latest and greatest, so I'll try to future proof as best as I can.

Kinda hard to do.

You can do this with a lot of components, case, HDD, PSU, RAM, motherboard, cooler, even the CPU to a pretty good extent. You can configure a powerful but still very affordable PC that will definitely last you 4-5 years in this regard. However, not so much with video cards.

Video cards are a very rapidly evolving technology with better ones coming out all the time, with prices always dropping because of that and healthy competition, so trying to future proof it is much too costly.

What you can future proof is your power supply. They are a pretty stable unchanging technology, they will be roughly the same prices a few years down the road as they are currently. So you can for example get a 1200w or 1250w PSU now which will support up to 2x 480s but only get a single 480 now for $500. The single 480 will be great for some time, but in a few years should it start becoming inadequate you can at this time buy a second 480 to run them in dual SLI, but by this point in time a 480 may only cost $250 or so. Also by this time there may be much more superior DX12 cards available.

So basically you just want to stick to getting what you need to run your resolution at the moment and then upgrade later on once you actually need to and prices have come down. You don't necessarily have to get a larger PSU to do this, you can follow a single video card upgrade path, but a larger PSU will give you more leeway in your upgrade options since you wouldn't have to always be ditching your current video card for an better version and can instead just add in a second cheaper one for SLI or CF.

But anywho, back to the heart of the matter.

Thoughts? Comments? etc? Please! All input will help

I don't want to rip your whole config apart and go into huge detail on why those part selections are not very good (unless you really want the details on the whys and why nots, if so just let us know we can go into more detail), but we should probably scrap it and start fresh from the top.

An exceptional gaming machine at the resolution of 1920x1080, that will last you 4-5 years (video card aside), with a budget of $1500 is well, pretty much improbable. I mean just the video card itself will be around $500, so to manage everything else with the remaining budget would mean we would really have to cut into the meat of it and sacrifice way too much. We would have to forgo even inexpensive bang for the buck parts in favor of the cheapest bottom of the barrel type selections, which just isn't going to last you long or even a good idea in the first place when you can get a vastly superior machine for just a little bit more.

A budget of $1600-1700 is probably a lot more feasible, if you can manage that.

By cutting costs everywhere possible that won't effect performance you can get a very powerful long lasting X58 platform system that can handle a 1920x1080 resolution right at about $1700 with a config like this:

Ticket #417279, Price: $1715

To get cheaper than that you pretty much have to drop to a P55 platform system to lower the price by another hundred or two, but you give up on a lot of CPU performance, memory capacity and performance, and motherboard functionality.

Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 8:14pm
Under $1500 i5 Build

Originally posted by ablahblah @ DS Forum Post >>BASELINE BUILDS<<

On a Budget - Budget Limit Strictly Under $1500

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - HAF 922
Processor: Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA P55 SLI (Intel P55 Chipset)
System Memory: 4GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Digital Storm Certified (Dual SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Recommended)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Noctua Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler (Compatible With ONLY i7 Processors)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Boost OS: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: 3 Year Limited Warranty with Life-Time Customer Support (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Parts)

Price: - $1464

Basic i7 for $100 more
Originally posted by ablahblah @ DS Forum Post >>BASELINE BUILDS<<

Basic i7 Gamer - Common Budget Limit $2000

Motherboard: EVGA X58 LE Edition SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Boost OS: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system

Price: - $1633

Edited by ablahblah - 23 Jun 2010 at 8:17pm
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
WardTheSteak View Drop Down

Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 8:37pm
If you want to really last 4-5 years with all the new technology and games that will be coming out, the best resort would be to spend a little extra and go with the i7 build.  Also, gpu-wise if you want to last awhile you would also probably dish out the extra cash and get the 5870, which right now is really cheap.  So, later on when you would actually need the upgrade you could add another one for an even cheaper price that wouldn't hurt the wallet.  Or you could go with the 5850, it will still get you through great at your gaming resolution, and adding another one down the road possibly would get you by. 
Rob13 View Drop Down

Quote Rob13 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 11:00pm
I think I can manage an I7 build with the 5870 I've chosen. I can save some money by making the PS and Memory DS brand instead of corsairs thats 70 bucks off.

Also My orginal case from IBP was a HAF 922 but I was told that the storm sniper is like the best case at an awesome price.

Also I think I overstated myself when I said I won't do anything to it. I figured I would have to Xfire GC's later on to help my system out. I kinda meant I wasn't the type of person who would mess around and change every little detail in given time.

That being said thank you for the replies and keep them coming!

Also if it helps at all this is the build I made on IBP's site!
Gamer Mage D345
Case ( CoolerMaster HAF 922 Gaming Case - Black )
iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction ( None )
iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion ( None )
Case Lighting ( None )
Processor ( [== Quad Core ==] AMD Phenom™ II X4 955 Black Edition Quad-Core CPU )
Processor Cooling ( XIGMATEK Dark Knight 120mm CPU Cooling Fan System - H.D.T. (Heat-pipe direct touch) technology )
Memory ( 4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - A-DATA Gaming Series )
Video Card ( ATI Radeon HD 5870 - 1GB - Single Card )
Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by ATI or NVIDIA )
Motherboard ( [CrossFire] ASUS M4A79XTD EVO -- AMD 790X -- 2x PCI-E 2.0 x16 )
Motherboard Add-on ( None )
Power Supply ( 850 Watt -- XFX Black Edition Power Supply - SLI Ready )
Primary Hard Drive ( 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s - Single Drive )
Data Hard Drive ( None )
Optical Drive ( 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - [Lightscribe Technology] Black )
2nd Optical Drive ( None )
Flash Media Reader/Writer ( None )
Meter Display ( None )
Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )
Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )
Operating System ( Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit )
Monitor ( None )
2nd Monitor ( None )
Speaker System ( None )
Power Protection ( None )
Headset ( None )
MP3/MP4 Player ( None )
Video Camera ( None )

total price was 1437.00 including shipping and all. But I can tell I'll be getting better brand parts from here!

Edited by Rob13 - 23 Jun 2010 at 11:07pm
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GosuHyunwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 11:36pm
How dare you bring another company's build onto these forums! j/k Hahaha
If you can't manage a i7 build right now wait a month or two to save up, don't go with an amd processor they can't compare to the i7's. If you do go for an i7 you can upgrade to a 6core down the line insted of buying a totally new computer.

Rob13 View Drop Down

Quote Rob13 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 12:59am
Lol. yeah I'll have to save up a little more!

Thanks agian for the replies!

Bump!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 8:36pm
Rob13, far more important than the better parts you may or may not get from DS, is the no BS customer support. The few issues that crop up here are dealt with in very short order in the customer's favor whenever possible, and at his convenience. I've yet to see a complaint about DS that survived the first business day after it was posted!

I've looked at that other place you mentioned, and post after post after post is about how there's a problem, and no one ever responds. You can't get 'em on the phone, you can't get 'em to answer e-mail, and if by some miracle you do, you get bad advice or no solution. Your only chance with those guys is if they didn't screw up your build, and it somehow arrived in perfect condition. If not, you're screwed. And if a part goes down after 30 days, you're even more screwed.
Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Intel Core i7 930 3.8GHz OC
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
I can make my mind think... anything....
Rob13 View Drop Down

Quote Rob13 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jun 2010 at 1:49am
I still have my heart set on the AMD setup, but have been looking at the Intel system as well.

With that being said, what is the Best cooling for an AMD based system from DS? I can't use the Noucta(sp?) fans since they're i7 compatiable only. And when I say best I mean within my overall budget ($1700ish)

thanks!

-Rob
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jun 2010 at 2:40am

I still have my heart set on the AMD setup, but have been looking at the Intel system as well.

Could I ask why?

The new AMD Phenom II 6-core line (1055T and 1090T) can keep up with a Core i7 930 in some very specific video encoding and rendering tests, but fail spectacularly in every other way, every benchmark, every game, and price. I can pull benchmarks if you want but just Google "AMD Phenom II x6 review" and the results speak for themselves. And this is at just stock speeds, add in overclocking of both sides and just gets really sad for the AMDs. You only have a Phenom II quad-core selected, so right off the bat we're already talking only 66% of the performance of an AMD 1055T or 1090T, and a 930 beats those two by upwards of 40-50% in a lot of things, so the math is just not pretty for your AMD choice.

On top of this AMD motherboards are pretty awful, inferior to X58 and P55 platform motherboards in so many ways, performance, functionality, and compatibility wise.

If AMD had something more comparable I would try to stay out of it, giving the two best options and letting people pick their favorite side to buy, but as it stands AMD is simply not offering anything of comparable performance for a similar price.

I don't like to see people throw their money away. The whole reason I hang around this forum is because it is a great community and I like helping people get the best bang for their buck builds and save money, so hopefully hopefully I don't come off like an Intel fanboy and if you do a little research on the numbers you can see what I'm talking about here. For a $1700 budget there is just no reason to be getting an AMD setup, you can easily fit into an incredibly powerful Core i7 930 rig for that much without sacrificing anything in the build, all great bang for the buck selections. I've already posted a perfect example before in the thread, but here it is again with everything listed for easy viewing:

Ticket #417279, Price: $1715

Motherboard: EVGA X58 Micro Edition SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports SLI or CrossFire)
Video Card: 1x ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Boost Video Card: FREE: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Install/Test Game: FREE: Hot-selling game with a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 or above graphics card
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)

Lilim
Rob13 View Drop Down

Quote Rob13 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 1:17am
How is DS's Memory and PS compared to the Corsair's Dominator memory and PS.

My only "2nd thought" on the Intel system is that I don't like that for roughly the same price I'd pay for the AMD setup with the brand name Memory/Vid card/ Powersupply, I would get the Intel setup but with Ds's Memory and PS ( Unless it's nice and other people here like it I wouldn't have a problem)

I do apprecite the help and I'm not trying to be a pain in anyone's ass, But just as you said I want to get the best possible for my money, all around as much as I can,especially if I'll be spending a little bit more of it.

Thanks and bump!

*** Also, what is a good cooling choice for the AMD? since I can't select the Natuca fans!
-Rob

Edited by Rob13 - 26 Jun 2010 at 2:05am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 3:39pm
1) The "brand name" vid card is a piece of crap non-reference card GIMPED by Sapphire. I know, I got one (damn, hate admitting that.) I did get a nice installation pamphlet in nine languages... too bad the card was already installed.
2) The DS power supplies are made expressly for DS by the same power supply manufacturers that make the brand names. You really think Corsair makes power supplies? They buy them and put their name on them, and stand behind them. Just like DS. Only DS is MORE accountable, read the forums.
3) There are some real expert posters to these forums that all agree that premium RAM gives no better performance than the DS certified in everyday use. The only possible difference it could make is for an extreme overclocker. For you or I to buy premium RAM expecting a gain from it is a total waste of money.

What we try to do here is advise within the constraints of a budget about the very best performance a user can get. If you want "the best possible for my money all around as much as I can" don't get a system that has a couple of "premium" parts on it and can't compute it's way out of a paper bag compared to what you could have had. I was just reading yesterday a review of the Phenom II X6 1090T in Maximum PC magazine (July). (edit) "The area where the 1090T was most disappointing was gaming."  It got it's a** KICKED by the Intel i7 860, f'goshsakes. And a i7930 oc'd to 3.7 will destroy that chip. Get a 930 oc'd, and I bet it's still giving you good gaming performance 4 years from now. Get that other thing, and it's not as good today, let alone 4years from now.

Edited by Cretae - 26 Jun 2010 at 6:00pm
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GosuHyunwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 4:22pm
I have both the Ds power supply and ram. The powersupply is some brand named TechNps and the ram I've heard changes around from time to time.

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by Alex

I disagree. Both memory either Corsair or Digital Storm Certified are made with the same chips, the same process, and same testing standards.

Obviously Corsair has built a great brand behind their products. If you willing to pay a premium, by all means purchase Corsair, they are great.

However, both memory brands are equal in terms of reliability, etc... In addition, both brands have a life-time warranty.

We offer our 'Certified' products to offer our customers savings where they can use them in other areas of their build. Our certified memory in the past has been: Mushkin, Kingston, and Super Talent.

Originally posted by Alex

Ah, my mistake.

The PSU we have as 'DS Certified' is actually our own brand 'TechNPS' which we get manufactured by the same companies that make PSUs for all the top PSU brands.

It is not a poor quality PSU at all. It has great amperage ratings at the voltage levels for the price your paying. It's a great option to save money on and place the saved cash into other parts of your build.

Here's a spec list of the 750W model:

Tech NPS  750W PFC,80+,CABL.Manament ATX 

Series Turbo
Spec
Type ATX12V / EPS12V
Maximum Power 750W
Fans 140mm silent fan
PFC Active
Main Connector 20+4Pin
+12V Rails 4
PCI-Express Connector 2 x 6-Pin, 2 x 6+2-Pin
SLI Ready
CrossFire Ready
Modular Yes
Energy-Efficient 80 PLUS Certified
Over Voltage Protection Yes
Overload Protection Yes
Input Voltage 100 - 240 V
Input Frequency Range 47 - 63 Hz
Input Current 10A @ 115V, 5A @ 230V
Output +3.3V@30A,+5V@28A,+12V1@18A,+12V2@18A,+12V3@18A, +12V4@18A,[email protected],[email protected]
Features
Connectors 1 x Main connector (20+4Pin)
1 x 12V(P4)
1 x 12V(8Pin)
6 x peripheral
4 x SATA
2 x Floppy
4 x PCI-E

Lilim
Rob13 View Drop Down

Quote Rob13 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 12:59am
Looking at an Intel build, I'll need to save up a little bit more but here's what I came up with.

CASE: Storm Sniper

PROCESSOR: I7-930

MOBO: Asus P6X58D Premium SLI

MEMORY: 6GB DDR3 1600 Digital Storm Certified Performance Series

PS: 750W Digital Storm Certifed (DUAL SLI compatiable) ( Silent Edition)

HDD: 1 TB WDCB WD1001FALS 7200RPM 32MB cache SATA Extreme Speed

OPTICAL DRIVE: DVD-R RW/CD-R RW(DVD writer 24X CD writer 48X) Lightscribe Edition

VIDEO CARD: XFX HD-587A-ZND9 Radeon HD 5870 XXX Edition

COOLING: Noctua Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler

ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 11:34am
alternatively, you can go with an i5 build, and pray pray pray that Sandy Bridge's LGA1155 actually does somehow work on a LGA1156 platform. LOL jk.

if you want to save a bit more room for other components, downgrade the 5870 to a 5850. one, it saves cost, and two, the video card will be the one and only thing that will ever need upgrading in a while.

storm sniper's nice, the HAF series still kicks butt in airflow though. I'm looking at you HAF 922 :D. the HAF 932 basically kicks butt in every department of air cooling, the HAF 922 is its smaller cousin, but it doesn't sacrifice the airflow potential of the 932

Edited by ablahblah - 27 Jun 2010 at 11:37am
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
Rob13 View Drop Down

Quote Rob13 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 3:15pm
Yeah I was looking into getting either the 922 or the 932 HAF instead of the Storm Sniper.

I'm assuming that the 932 would be better given the fact that it's larger and has more room for the air cooling, along with fitting in the 5870 no problem, right?
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 3:58pm
larger. more room. same fans. i dunno really, someone with a first hand account on a HAF get ur butt on this topic xD
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 7:46pm
Well, I looked and looked and looked, and I couldn't find one reason to go with that XFX video card. It's another non-reference card, and apparantly been locked so you couldn't oc it if you wanted to. DK why you want to spend money on nothing. I know the the Sniper is a great case, and only just barely smaller than the HAF 932. They are all really good, just get the one you like/can afford. teh Spiper does have built in filters and a fan control dial.
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
Rob13 View Drop Down

Quote Rob13 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 9:37pm
Well I think I'll be going with the same build I had before, but with a few minor changes:

A corsair PS

and

HAF 932 case ( HAF X looks cool though, lol).

Should be good enough I think, I feel better knowing that I'm getting an Intel. Cost me a little bit more, but you pay for quailty!.

I'll keep this thread bumped to keep ya'll up to date on my PC.

Thanks for all of those who helped, much apprecited!

-Rob
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GosuHyunwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 10:32pm
Uhm we don't really recommend those non reference cards because it's just wasted money :OOO but in the end it's your computer and as long as you're happy it's cool

Rob13 View Drop Down

Quote Rob13 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 10:42pm
They're that bad huh?

Alot of people like XFX because of the warranty that backs them, and I forgot what the saph/vapor card did.

it'll only be a 27 dollar difference in the price so......

EDIT: I guess what I'm getting at is what makes these brand name cards so bad compared to just the normal card version?

Edited by Rob13 - 28 Jun 2010 at 10:48pm
Rob13 View Drop Down

Quote Rob13 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 1:27pm
Bumping for an answer!!!
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 1:42pm
The reference cards are good.. Saphire = junk, they made their own PCB with ground up coolermaster parts, and added some unicorn nuts.. stay away.
The reference boards have better cooling, better components, and can be overclocked a lot more. so get  a standard, reference 5870.
Rob13 View Drop Down

Quote Rob13 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 2:04pm
Alright I'll look into editing my build more once I get back from class aroud 3PM!

thanks!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 10:15pm
Just so you know who gave you that advice, justin is a world class overclocker (literally) and he is one of the most knowledgable posters here. It was his advice I was passing to you earlier, when I could not find one reason to choose XFX over a reference card.

Check out this thread:

Edited by Cretae - 29 Jun 2010 at 10:18pm
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
Rob13 View Drop Down

Quote Rob13 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 12:49am
Alright, I think I put together my final build, how does it look?

CASE: HAF 932

PROCESSOR: Intel I7 930

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P6X58D Premium ( Intel X58 Chipset) (USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)

MEMORY: 6GB 1600 Mhz  DDR3 Digital Storm Gaming Series

POWER SUPPLY: 750 Corsair TX ( Dual SLI compatible)

HARD DRIVE (1):  1TB Western Digital Black Caviar WD1001FALS ( 7200 RPM, 32MB cache, SATA, Extreme Speed)

OPTICAL DRIVE (1): DVD-R / RW/ CD-R/RW ( DVD Writer 24x / CD writer 48X)

VIDEO CARD: ATI Radeon 5870

EXTREME COOLING: AIR STAGE 1: Noctua dual 120MM Fans High Performance Cooler ( Compatible with I7 processors only)

Adding the red cathodes in addition to using the option to OC the Processor ( not sure about OCing the Vid card though, is it a good or bad idea?)

So, how's it all look now?

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 1:07am

Amazing, probably at least twice the performance of your original AMD configuration. I'm glad you were able to up the budget a tad.

I'd recommend dropping that expensive ASUS motherboard though, it isn't going to offer you anything useful, it isn't real SATA 6Gb/s nor do you have anything that could even remotely take advantage of the extra bandwidth anyway (takes a very expensive SSD). Go with an EVGA x58 LE.
Lilim
MotoriousRacing View Drop Down

Quote MotoriousRacing Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 2:28am
Originally posted by Dragoonseal

Amazing, probably at least twice the performance of your original AMD configuration. I'm glad you were able to up the budget a tad.I'd recommend dropping that expensive ASUS motherboard though, it isn't going to offer you anything useful, it isn't real SATA 6Gb/s nor do you have anything that could even remotely take advantage of the extra bandwidth anyway (takes a very expensive SSD). Go with an EVGA x58 LE.

Twice?!? Seriously dude?   

can I either;
1. get the numbers to back that statement up, or
2. get some of what you're smokin'?
Home Built - i7-860; GA-P55A-UD4P, 4Gb 1600 Ripjaws, 4890 XXX, 850TX, CNPS9900ALED, 4x1Tb Black (RAID-10)
www.core-authority.com
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 2:55am
Originally posted by MotoriousRacing

can I either;
1. get the numbers to back that statement up, or
2. get some of what you're smokin'?

You really think an AMD Phenom II x4 955 Quad Core with a crappy overclock (bad cooler) can come even remotely close to the performance of a highly overclocked i7 930? Do you really?

Let me introduce you to a friend of mine, his name is Google, he helps you look up stuff like numbers. So get to it.

Lemme know how that turns out for you.
Lilim
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 8:51am

when both pushed on decent cooling the little Intel 920 beats the AMD 6 core, so it does beat the AMD quad coree by a longs ways in most benchmarks..

ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 11:17am
yeaaaap....seriously, have you noticed that ever since AMD started trying to compete with Intel (I'm looking at you, C2D), AMD's just been left in the dust over and over again? They've been trying to catch up for years, Intel...just makes better stuff...simple as that lol/

speaking of your friend, I seriously can't believe how big Google's got. it's become a friggin VERB now LOL

Edited by ablahblah - 01 Jul 2010 at 11:27am
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz

Quote MotoriousRacing Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 1:42pm
In this CPU comparison from Tom's Hardware,
The i7-920 isn't even "twice" the performance of an AMD Athlon II x2.

This shows the i7-920 vs. the Phenom 955 from Hardware Canucks.  Still looking for "twice" the performance.

I see maybe a 5% performance increase with a 920 vs. a 955.  To help you with the math; twice (2x) = 200%.  5% would be 1.05 times the performance.

Don't get me wrong here.  I like Intel too.  I have an i7 and love it.  I think Rob or anyone should get the i7-930, IF they can afford it, BUT...

saying things like "twice the performance" is very misleading, when in fact, the i7-920/930 vs. the Phenom 955 is maybe 5-10% better for about 25% more money.

Yes, the i7s perform better than anything AMD has, in most cases, BUT cost to performance ratio, I believe AMD wins.

Besides, gaming performance is usually more related to the GPU, since most game code is not written to use 4 cores anyway.

....waiting for you to call up your buddy Google and prove your statement.  I'll accept a humble retraction.

Edited by MotoriousRacing - 01 Jul 2010 at 1:54pm
Home Built - i7-860; GA-P55A-UD4P, 4Gb 1600 Ripjaws, 4890 XXX, 850TX, CNPS9900ALED, 4x1Tb Black (RAID-10)
www.core-authority.com

Quote MotoriousRacing Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Dragoonseal

You really think an AMD Phenom II x4 955 Quad Core with a crappy overclock (bad cooler) can come even remotely close to the performance of a highly overclocked i7 930? Do you really?

Are you saying that good coolers for AMD are not available, or you need to handicap the AMD 955 with a "(bad cooler)" to make sure your i7-930 performs better?

btw - Yes, provided with a max OC, given the same case and cooler, I do think the i7-930 will perform better; just not "twice".

Edited by MotoriousRacing - 01 Jul 2010 at 2:02pm
www.core-authority.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>