FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First gaming PC

Post Date: 2019-10-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kasper909 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kasper909 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: First gaming PC
    Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 8:17pm
I ordered my first gaming pc through DS. Read reviews and browsed the forums and overall liked what i was seeing. I ordered the Lynx Level 4. I dont really know anything at all about PCs. My friends convinced me after they all switched from PS4 and Xbox. I guess my question is, is this a good starting pc? Games i mostly play are: Overwatch, Destiny, ESO and Dead by Daylight. Obviously I'll be playing more once I get the hang of PC. Open to any and all advice. Again, just mostly curious if it'll handle those games and more. Thanks in advance!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 5:49am
Yes, the Lynx level 4 is actually an excellent starting PC at that price.

The 9700F is a blazing fast central processor that turbos (automatically speeds up) to 4.7 GHz whenever demand from whatever is being processed (game?) requires it. The fact it saves money by not being overclockable does not mean very much with this much power and speed.

The other several parts that bear the Digital Storm branding are quality computer parts that simply do not have lengthy extended warranties from their makers adding cost to each. The fact has been for a very long time that the vast majority of all electronic parts that make it beyond a year in service will last for several years more. When the budget allows, we recommend the name brand parts for their warranties because they're nice to have. The DS parts in this build are very good for what they need to do.

You get a quick SATA SSD for your primary "C" drive for fast booting into your desktop and quick access to all the utilities you want to maintain your system. There's room for a dozen (if they're huge) or more games while you also have 2 TB of HHD for all the rest. There's faster storage, but the difference is measured in mere seconds.

You get 16 GB of RAM which is MORE than you may ever require for gaming performance.

The centerpiece of this build, and what makes it a very attractive bargain, is the Nvidia RTX 2070 SUPER GPU. This is, IMO, a superb GPU to pack into a "starting pc". If you intend to game at 1920 x 1080 (1080p) monitor resolution, it will surpass all expectations for any game on Ultra settings. At the next higher monitor resolution, (1440p) it will perform very nearly as well as the top-of-the line 1080 Ti from the previous generation of Nvidia cards, and in some ways, better! It will not disappoint you. There are only two other consumer cards out now that are more powerful, and they are overkill for 1440p and cost way more money.

Then, with the light strip and RGB case fans, you even end up with a little bling to impress your friends! (Icing on cake applied.)

This rig should satisfy you and impress you for several years to come. It's a great buy IMO.
Lewis95 View Drop Down

Quote Lewis95 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2019 at 9:26am
Originally posted by kasper909

I ordered my first gaming pc through DS. Read reviews and browsed the forums and overall liked what i was seeing. I ordered the Lynx Level 4. I dont really know anything at all about PCs. My friends convinced me after they all switched from PS4 and Xbox. I guess my question is, is this a good starting pc? Games i mostly play are: Overwatch, Destiny, ESO and Dead by Daylight. Obviously I'll be playing more once I get the hang of PC. Open to any and all advice. Again, just mostly curious if it'll handle those games and more. Thanks in advance!

The Lynx does come with some nice quality of life features, though. For one, the major ventilation areas on the top and bottom of the unit are shielded from dust by filters, a good start towards keeping that glowing interior clean and free of grit. And it runs pretty quietly, even under demanding GPU and CPU loads, so it'll fit in even in an office environment or, at the very least, won't distract you much while you're gunning down Nazi aliens. Case access is toolless—you just need to remove a pair of thumb screws on the tempered glass panel, but again this only gets you access to the main bay, not the area where the drives are tucked away beneath the PSU shroud.

The Lynx is a bit of a strange cat, a gaming PC that focuses slightly more on productivity, but it's priced very well and includes a solid 3 year limited warranty. If you're still fixed in the 1080p era or are looking for a machine that will capably handle 1440p for some time to come, the Lynx is a good choice, particularly if you're infatuated with RGB light shows.
Lewis
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2019 at 1:40pm
Lewis95, thanks for giving us the first-hand perspective. Very helpful!
kasper909 View Drop Down

Quote kasper909 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2019 at 3:47pm
Thanks for the replies guys! Both are very helpful! Like I said, I’m really new to pc. Do you guys know what I’ll have to do when I first boot it up? Things to download/update. That sort of thing
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 3:47am
You should be up to date when your computer arrives. You'll find your hard drives clean and ready. You'll want to go to the software section of this forum, and check out the "Must Have Software" posts. Some very useful download selections there.

Below that is a section on "Security Software". I personally use Windows own Defender software for anti-virus and firewall. It may or may not be active already. Click on the little window pane in the lower left corner, and scroll down to "Windows Security" to check it out. I've used that for years because back in the olden days, security software suites would sometimes conflict with Windows, mess with games, and/or nag about updates and renewals. With Windows Defender, you get none of that. Once active, it's automatic and free.

Whatever you decide on that, you should only have ONE anti-virus/firewall. They don't play well with each other. I highly recommend Malwarebytes, Super Antivirus, to be another layer of defense there, and the famous CCleaner for regularly cleaning your drive of junk the internet can stick on you with when you browse.

Download a browser. Google, Firefox, or just use Windows Edge which is already on there. They're all free to use. Personal choice there.

Very best of luck, and I hope this is helpful.   
 Post Reply Post Reply