Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
wshumb View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote wshumb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: First PC Lumos Build Help
    Posted: 17 May 2019 at 1:25pm
Hello,

I know absolutely nothing when it comes to building a gaming PC or any PC for that matter. I've never owned one either so I have no idea what to base my purchases off. I have been trying to do research on my own to try to get a better grasp, but I'm usually greeted with confusing or contradictory explanations. If someone could help guide me in making a good reliable PC that will last me for an extremely long time without me feeling regretful about my spending, then I would sincerely appreciate it. I have been looking at a Lumos build and I think that I would like to go with that chassis.

Budget:
$5,000 (please let this be the limit and not the goal). No accessories, just the PC.

Expectations:
I would like for this thing to be able to run some of the AAA title games (COD, BF, Halo, etc) at a consistently high frame rate.

Usage:
I will most likely strictly use this this thing for gaming. All games are plausible (including VR). The only time I would ever be browsing the internet is to find the programs I need to download (discord, steam, etc). I do not plan on making videos or editing.

Special Needs:
I would appreciate it if the PC does not sound like a Boeing 747 preparing for takeoff right beside me. I would also like to avoid overclocking. I feel like I am too inexperienced for that sort of thing and I would be happy if it could meet these requirements without it. I would also appreciate it if it did not melt.

Thank you!

Side note:
Intel Core i9-9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) (16-Thread) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-H Gaming (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)

GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB (VR Ready)

^^^These are just a few of the components that I was looking at and I think I would like to see in it. This is probably just me and my newbie self going "bigger number = better thing", but if there are any other alternatives that would bring me similar to the power that these would give me for any reason, whether that be hardware capability, reliability, or just cost, then that would also be appreciated.

Thanks again.
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 May 2019 at 3:24pm
Welcome to the forum wshumb!

I actually have purchased 4 DS rigs since 2011, and 3 are Overclocked rigs of which the most recent was a 2019 Lumos with the excellent Asus Strix-H motherboard!   Lumos is an awesome case...kind of a tech work of art that should be displayed up on a desk...so prepare a good platform for showing it off. No worries about noise, as Lumos is an extremely quiet Corsair Crystal Series 570X case.

Your request and budget makes it pretty easy to help you with a suggested build.   
I will give you one that respects all of your requests and includes your favored components...   and another build that would be higher performing for that same budget but includes some over clocking of the CPU just to show you the possibilities.

A lot of folks new to PC’s often fear or do not understand Overclocking.   
All of the devices inside a computer case generate heat we would like to minimize.. Fans are used to move fresh (hopefully cool) air in, and to exhaust hot air to try and keep those components cool and performing well.    Liquid coolers can exchange that heat way way better, and can allow key components like the processor and the graphics card to add more electrical power... for greatly improved performance levels...made quite safe by efficient use of non-conductive liquid coolant.   AIO Stage 2 CPU coolers are factory sealed and require no maintenance whatsoever.   Intel actually makes their K and X class processors to be Overclocked, meaning performance potential you are paying for is held back from you unless you choose to Overclock them to their designed top performance levels. The better the cooling, the more the processor can be safely Overclocked.   Stage 1 or 2 Overclocking merely gets you all of what you are paying for, set up with tons of experience by DS. It means your CPU will perform at its designed top levels of performance, all of the time.   I highly recommend Overclocking the CPU to get your moneys worth from the CPU...

Lumos build1 ($4, 660). Config # 2390913
     This build is not Overclocked, includes the excellent Asus Strix-H Z390      
     motherboard, i9-9900X 8-core 16-thread CPU, and top of the line
     NVidia RTX 2080 Ti video card.    It makes very good use of the
     two much faster M.2 NVME drive slots on your motherboard for a
     500gb Boot Drive 1 and a 1tb Drive 2 that you can utilize for game files
     A normal 2 tb hard drive for storage, 16 gb Corsair Vengeance RGB
     RAM, 850w modular Corsair PSU, Corsair LL Series RGB 120mm
     fans, a free RGB case light string complete the build.    

Lumos build2 ($4,759). Config # 2390965
     Same components, but adds a Stage 2 CPU Overclock for $99.
     Increases CPU performance of the i9-9900K to its maximum.
     You could also go middle of road and take the Free Stage 1
     Overclock on Lumos build1 above for a milder OC. (-$99).   

Both builds will give you top level gaming performance. The second build increases CPU performance in general in everything you will do..   Performance in some games that utilize more CPU effects will be improved, but most gaming is GPU centric and you will have the top gaming GPU.   

See what you think, or tinker as you like..    

Edited by HockeyBuck - 17 May 2019 at 3:48pm
 Post Reply Post Reply